Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
get

• 9Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 9 users

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
There are a lot of people in life who hate everyone who tries to accomplish something in life. Most people are lazy and stupid, people who try make the lazy and stupid look bad. So the lazy and stupid endlessly attack people who try, in an attempt bring them down to the level of insipidness that the lazy and stupid inhabit.

This thread is full of lazy and stupid people.

God damn, I didn't know Bill Hicks was alive and backing Pantheon!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

First

Trakanon Raider
You're in denial of reality (game has one zone, no funding etc) and frustrated whenever you see progress. The seething is real and several people have pointed it out now outside the gif clique.

Yeah I think you nailed the feeling I get from some people. I get it - I was thrilled when I saw the KS (well mostly, despite Vanguard being a disappointment) and I pledged for it in 2014 - it failed, and Pantheon subsequently became what looked like either just a pipe dream or a dumpster fire (or maybe a bit of both). I mean - fuzzy trolls - wow. I totally get the critiques around all of that - and the massive disappointment. I wrote the game off. Then in 2016/2017 a friend linked a stream and it became evident that despite me writing it off, they were actually making some progress. It hasn't been a smooth journey since then, but it's hardly a CoE, Dreamworld, or like it was 2014 & 2015.

Some people here just can't grasp that VR may actually have competent people in roles now and aren't stuck in hobbyist MMORPG mode anymore. That they're actually putting a real game together. It's like the peanut gallery here is stuck in their post-Kickstarter view of Pantheon and that nothing has changed in that time at VR. I mean, jesus, the recent coder stream they did with Kyle & Robert - it's quite clear those guys alone are not grifting fucktards. They know coding, networking, game development, tools, Unity, etc. It's a 90min stream, which not a ton of people will ever listen to, but anyone who has knows how wrong some of these peanut gallery comments are. They could still fail to ever launch, but it will hardly be because it's a scam with nothing under the hood by now.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mat'hir Uth Gan

Trakanon Raider
I feel like Brad's game failed and became vaporware long ago, some ideas persist. Joppa's game is alive and coming along. They basically rebooted/actually started real development with the refactor 2.5 years ago. Some classes have been reworked, zones and maps have been redone, lore continues to be ever-evolving. I think we're looking at a 2024-2025 release, but I'm very confident it's going to be a good game, and I don't see any legit competition for this niche coming between now and then, plus all the classic/TLP servers are going to be milked into the ground by that time. There should be a market. When the open beta comes out, give it a chance and let it sink or swim on its merits. Would be good to get Joppa back on this forum during the Alpha when there is much more to show to answer some pointed questions again. Regardless, I do feel bad for him and the current team that they have to constantly deal with the failures and bad decisions of the original team in regards to public perception and comments.

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I think you nailed the feeling I get from some people. I get it - I was thrilled when I saw the KS (well mostly, despite Vanguard being a disappointment) and I pledged for it in 2014 - it failed, and Pantheon subsequently became what looked like either just a pipe dream or a dumpster fire (or maybe a bit of both). I mean - fuzzy trolls - wow. I totally get the critiques around all of that - and the massive disappointment. I wrote the game off. Then in 2016/2017 a friend linked a stream and it became evident that despite me writing it off, they were actually making some progress. It hasn't been a smooth journey since then, but it's hardly a CoE, Dreamworld, or like it was 2014 & 2015.

Some people here just can't grasp that VR may actually have competent people in roles now and aren't stuck in hobbyist MMORPG mode anymore. That they're actually putting a real game together. It's like the peanut gallery here is stuck in their post-Kickstarter view of Pantheon and that nothing has changed in that time at VR. I mean, jesus, the recent coder stream they did with Kyle & Robert - it's quite clear those guys alone are not grifting fucktards. They know coding, networking, game development, tools, Unity, etc. It's a 90min stream, which not a ton of people will ever listen to, but anyone who has knows how wrong some of these peanut gallery comments are. They could still fail to ever launch, but it will hardly be because it's a scam with nothing under the hood by now.
1623250359261.png

• 4Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 6 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

That's all fine and good but they have had at least two massive restarts/refactors since their supposed competence (three if you want to count the early days where work was being produced). That shows a lack of direction and focus. A small team making sweeping changes like that? It's hard to engender a lot of confidence.

• 3Like
  • 2Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

We aren't simply dealing with a difference of opinion with a lot of these guys. Most of them are way too intelligent (the rest, definitely at the very least intelligent enough) to carry on some of these charades and not know better. Makes me think.

Maximis Velocity

Professional Lurker
<Silver Donator>

That was a really good stream for me. The tools they built remind me of NodeRed.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
That's all fine and good but they have had at least two massive restarts/refactors since their supposed competence (three if you want to count the early days where work was being produced). That shows a lack of direction and focus. A small team making sweeping changes like that? It's hard to engender a lot of confidence.
Okay fair enough. But I watched BG3 (way more of a staff I know) reiterate a ton of stuff. And guess what. It was mostly because some mechanics felt "too hurty". Like... have ya played DND?

It's like "ahummmm based on feedback we received we felt that rolling a 1 was too traumatizing" yap yap yap, this is the kind of stuff that ruined Rift. I told that dev on the beta it would be a failed wow clone if they neutered that pretty awesome planar invasion/town take over system. And oh boy. Did it get neutered lol. If it's not "hurty" it feels meaningless when you succeed. It's SUPPOSED to make you complain or feel rough, that's the whole point of a system where death is meaningful enough to create a feeling of danger.

My biggest criticism is gonna be the nerf to corpse running and all, but it may be true you can't make money on the kind of truly immersive, dangerous world I'd wanna see. The funding certainly isn't my millions to blow and papa bear's porridge is definitely too hot, so to speak, when I've chatted up some actual vets too.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Okay fair enough. But I watched BG3 (way more of a staff I know) reiterate a ton of stuff. And guess what. It was mostly because some mechanics felt "too hurty". Like... have ya played DND?

It's like "ahummmm based on feedback we received we felt that rolling a 1 was too traumatizing" yap yap yap, this is the kind of stuff that ruined Rift. I told that dev on the beta it would be a failed wow clone if they neutered that pretty awesome planar invasion/town take over system. And oh boy. Did it get neutered lol. If it's not "hurty" it feels meaningless when you succeed. It's SUPPOSED to make you complain or feel rough, that's the whole point of a system where death is meaningful enough to create a feeling of danger.

My biggest criticism is gonna be the nerf to corpse running and all, but it may be true you can't make money on the kind of truly immersive, dangerous world I'd wanna see. The funding certainly isn't my millions to blow and papa bear's porridge is definitely too hot, so to speak, when I've chatted up some actual vets too.
This was a big fuck up during VG development too. They changed so many things back and forth due to people arguing on forums and they wasted so much time. Build the game you want and release it. If people really do hate something bad enough change it later.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Gotta heavily filter that criticism.
Brad was incapable of that. I remember he caved and sectioned off the forums at one point or something stupid. He’d also reply to arguments with 32,000 character posts that looked like they took three hours to write.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Brad was incapable of that. I remember he caved and sectioned off the forums at one point or something stupid. He’d also reply to arguments with 32,000 character posts that looked like they took three hours to write.

Sounds like some heavy filtering. Very interesting tho.... are there any archives of this stuff?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Sounds like some heavy filtering. Very interesting tho.... are there any archives of this stuff?
I don’t really know how archive sites work when it comes to forums that had registration, user access levels, etc. so I’m not sure if that stuff still exists.

I believe this was their site.

• 1Like