LOL

1637889094858.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
The discussion on this games alpha has lasted 8 years.

That is more then most actual games last.

Whatever ensues, it will be splendid.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Mick

<Gold Donor>
The discussion on this games alpha has lasted 8 years.

That is more then most actual games last.

Whatever ensues, it will be splendid.
The game has never entered the alpha phase. It has been in pre-alpha the entire time.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
I don't really want to drill down because it's not really worth my time, if I'm being totally honest. But briefly:

From following this game basically since it's inception, it was clear that Brad's vision was to create a game that re-established many of the core concepts/principles/mechanics that fans of OG EQ liked. Stuff like high difficulty, lack of easy travel, significant death penalty, etc. I doubt I need to go into too much detail- everyone here knows what I mean.
EQ wasn't actually that difficult though. Most of its difficulty was simply artificial difficulty in the forms of extreme inconvenience and penalties. Losing a lot of exp on deaths and corpse runs don't increase difficulty. The only reason people tolerated that shit was because online games were new and we were used to the generally hardcoreness of old school console games. There wasn't really any alternative to EQ whatsoever which is another reason why people tolerated it. The difficulty about EQ that I think was done right was having to actually learn dungeons and learn mob pathing and being able to handle bad pulls.

The problem I think that modern MMO's suffer most from is that they go to the extreme opposite end of the spectrum and provide too much convenience and simplify things way too much. This is especially obvious by the fact that people will often do shit like intentionally die to get somewhere else faster which IMO should never be a thing. Games today can't seem to find the balance between being overly punishing and being overly hand holdy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I wouldn't call EQ difficult either, but what corpse runs and the like added were risk to the reward. In WoW you could just mindlessly zerg encounters and just stroll back up in ghost form and rinse/repeat. in EQ, you could stay at the safety of the zone and farm trash mobs for exp and coin, or risk going deeper if you wanted the good stuff like an fbss or yak.