Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mr. Sox

Trakanon Raider
She used to date someone who hates WOW too.

Pink-Sparkles-2.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Sox

Trakanon Raider
When SOE sold EQ to Jason Epstein it was written in the paperwork that they retained 10% of the property. Now that was important become some former disgruntled employees who were let go tried to expose him because Jason used to work for Coumbus Nova as a hedge fund investor. Jason had left CN and started his own portfolio and the 10% was the difference whether he was a majority owner in the company. It was a mood point. Brad turned him down, so he bought LOTR and AD and D as a back-up. They reformed under a new name as Daybreak Games after Smed stepped down. Then after of a few years of lay-offs and game closures, Jason got tired and sold his investment to EG7 for 300 million and retained 10%. At this point I am not sure if SONY still has anything to do with the franchise anymore. The network hacks destroyed the working relationships between Sony and SOE. I read somewhere that even Steven Shariff tried at one time to buy SOE during its decline. Instead, he just hired some of the employees from the smaller depatments at SOE and started his own company.

Last edited:

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Pretty sure the 10% clause is dead along with SoE as a whole, maybe Sony gets something for what though ?? The name isn't on the product anymore anywhere Daybreak made sure too take care of that...

As far as EQ: Next it will forever be in Duke Nukem Forever territory, fuck Pantheon is already there far as I'm concerned.

Mr. Sox

Trakanon Raider
The truth, often times, can be twisted and winners get to tell their story in the end. Perception is everything.

GhenghisKhan

Molten Core Raider
I was never in FOH and dont remember them back in the day. We had Vis Maior, Wraith, and Lotus Cult on my server. In 2004 basically my server folded with WOW debuted.Soe has fucked me thru the years but EQ has always been a stable in my life for 23 years. I love talking MMo war stories. You would be surprised what I know.
What was your name on Quellious?

Rael

Golden Knight of the Realm
any who were regular people and not obese degenerates will have kids and/or responsibilities now.

So basically they are making a nostalgia game for people who are either dead or out of the market for a hardcore MMO.

This is a real problem that Crowfall faced recently.

Crowfall was announced in 2015, largely trading off nostalgia from the DAOC/Shadowbane crowd. A person who played DAOC back in the day when they were 20 was 34 in 2015.
Crowfall came out in 2021. The DAOC players were now 40. How many of them were still nostalgic about a game they were nostalgic about six years prior? How many of them had the time/inclination to spend on a game they played twenty years prior? Crowfall suffered serious population issues within a week of release because it couldn't attract new players to the genre. The increasingly-dwindling number of nostalgia customers from decades past isn't enough to keep a large-scale modern MMO project afloat financially.

Is Visionary Realms going to be able to convince zoomer Lost Ark/Valheim/etc players to pick up Pantheon? Because it seems their entire pitch is "it's like that game you played a couple of decades ago" and I'm not sure that's enough to keep them afloat for long post-release.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Crowfall wasnt any fun and clearly a half finished product on release, thats what the problem was. Not age and nostalgia.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I want to say gaming as a whole has moved past MMOs. You should plan on a niche population and be pleasantly surprised if it sustains above that.

Rael

Golden Knight of the Realm
Crowfall wasnt any fun and clearly a half finished product on release, thats what the problem was. Not age and nostalgia.

It had terrible numbers right on launch. Well before people could find out how crappy the release was. The fact is most of the people who were interested in it in 2015 just didn't give a shit about it any more.

1649356436326.png

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

Crowfall was announced in 2015, largely trading off nostalgia from the DAOC/Shadowbane crowd. A person who played DAOC back in the day when they were 20 was 34 in 2015.
Crowfall came out in 2021. The DAOC players were now 40. How many of them were still nostalgic about a game they were nostalgic about six years prior? How many of them had the time/inclination to spend on a game they played twenty years prior? Crowfall suffered serious population issues within a week of release because it couldn't attract new players to the genre. The increasingly-dwindling number of nostalgia customers from decades past isn't enough to keep a large-scale modern MMO project afloat financially.

Is Visionary Realms going to be able to convince zoomer Lost Ark/Valheim/etc players to pick up Pantheon? Because it seems their entire pitch is "it's like that game you played a couple of decades ago" and I'm not sure that's enough to keep them afloat for long post-release.

Crowfall was completely out of touch and horrible. There is no way that reflected the wishes of any serious or nostalgic gamer.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It had terrible numbers right on launch. Well before people could find out how crappy the release was. The fact is most of the people who were interested in it in 2015 just didn't give a shit about it any more.

View attachment 406943
Its because they allowed pretty much everyone to try it in beta. I tried the beta that was closest to release and it was awful.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Seemed to me like it had furry chars only for the sake of having them, cringe. Then it looked like a League children's tier concept for a "serious pvp environment". Like, are you fucking kidding me?

The games that got pvp right, the best, are EQ and Dark Souls. The PvE is the focus, with PvP used to contest those goals in game.

Battleground and arena systems are fucking cringe.

My suggestion to the Pantheon people was correct. PvP server at release with a single balance pass to iron out anything ultra retarded. The rest can be either it's a better support or PvE class necessary for the guild (omg my tank isn't an OP 1v1 char or ganker, oh noes) make whatever bursty gankers you think are fun (and typically don't hold up in serious fights unless they have a massive positional advantage).

Ive laughed off enough "entire server and all good players will be naked ganker wizards" clowns who don't want meaningful classic MMO pvp. Not even sure we can be bothered to address it here. Single item loot + full coin carried, full corpse recovery, just put that system in again. If you don't like it, play the PvE server and duel.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande

That's a great example.

Reminds me of how I was saying that WoW got in the WC3/D2 players and FF14 got the FF players, while Riot seem to have learned thst lesson and are going to be getting LoL/Runeterra players etc.

You need an established IP people want to live in.

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
The increasingly-dwindling number of nostalgia customers from decades past isn't enough to keep a large-scale modern MMO project afloat financially.
Nostalgia is one thing, but being able to commit time into a game when you have adult responsibilities is another. Those 20 year olds from back then now have a job/career/wife/kids, and probably a lawn to mow.

I want to say gaming as a whole has moved past MMOs. You should plan on a niche population and be pleasantly surprised if it sustains above that.
I think gaming as a whole has embraced, extended and extinguished classic MMOs, especially after the lightning in a bottle that was WoW. Look how a lot of games shortly after WoW suddenly got character progression, gear, unlocks, talent trees, online multiplayer, chat and other things usually attributed to MMOs. This culminated into what we nowadays call "looter shooters", e.g. Borderlands.

Instead of monthly subscriptions they sell you battle passes.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users