Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All excellent points. The thing about this topic is that it is extremely broad, and we could talk forever about different ways to have fun and interesting combat/class systems. There are lots of good solutions, and some of them even have the trinity in them. What I don't like is boring and rigid class/combat systems which are nothing BUT the trinity.
Keep in mind tho.. That is a wheel some would rather not see reinvented. That's the thing with niche.. The game just needs to cater to a certain audience and that's it.. I see what you're saying but some people just prefer things the way they are. People are ok with the Trinity tradeoff. It sounds like your idea would be suited for a bigger budget MMO? I'd like to see it in game for sure. That doesn't change my want to just play a DPS Wizard heh

forge

Lord Nagafen Raider
And we go full circle back to my original statement. The "holy trinity" is still, to this day, the best option we have. The alternative is, GW2. Which would you prefer?
The third option of 5 paladins with different specs, ala WoW. The one thing it did do right. So when you and all your friends want to faceroll paladins that's a valid option while the trinity still exists.

forge

Lord Nagafen Raider
We haven't seen it in a AAA title yet, just because, well, shit's hard to design. I still really like how EQ did it, as even though it's though of as the "founder" of the real trinity (heal / tank / cc), you could have very fun successful groups with a mishmash of characters. Future games have just diluted it to what was most "optimal" in EQ (and what you needed for raids), and unfortunately "threw the baby out with the bathwater". But I still find EQ pretty successful in requiring it for tough fights, but being able to experience the vast majority of the game with whatever, just at lesser efficiency. It's why EQ is sometimes considered more on the sandbox side of the spectrum, because for most of the content, you did *not* have to follow that strict role placement to still be pretty efficient (for leveling and exploring, and questing - back when quests were actual quest).
I think there is another issue that gets overlooked. While it doesn't stop it from happening it is a huge hindrance. We have to remember that any group which could do for instance solb or lguk was a successful group. Mine did efreeti and had no tank. We were killing that, so pretty much I would have to suggest that it was a successful group in original eq. Now days we could probably do the same thing. Lets look at wow, in vanilla the warlock pet could tank. So no real tank was needed we could argue. The problem is the design is different and the rewards are different. In eq if you wanted a ykesha you had to camp lord. There were no instances and it was a specific timer. So as long as your group of all casters could clear the room and do other pulls we can say its a successful group makeup. The problem with the trinity is in later times it was simply more effective and efficient. We fast forward to instancing in all games past eq. This is why you generally don't see this makeup even though nothing really is preventing it. I would imagine that any warlock could go into a wow dungeon and have the pet tank more or less and be possible outside of boss fights which required some multi tanking or something odd. Lets remember that eq did not have any boss fights which needed anything more than pressing attack to tank. With instancing you COULD clear it with some pet tanking and some all caster group. But what would be the point when you have to run the same thing over and over. This rewards efficiency not fun or interesting group makeup. So until we find a game which does not having instancing which rewards speed and efficiency it will be unlikely that we'll see any group except the trinity. Most games don't even need cc anymore and thus the new trinity is just dps. I would associate this more with why we see no odd class combinations, beyond any type of game design preventing interesting mixes.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
^^ Thing is it wasn't possible (I never saw it) to AOE camp or burn down the lord camp in Pre-Kunark EQ before mudflation set in without a healer, tank, Mez, and two dps. Unless you were a very early necromancer in which case you could charm the lord's pet and beat him with it. But that was nerfed shortly after necros started soloing lord. When everyone was capped at 50, level 48-50 mobs were hard.

Thengel

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ultimately people can use outside means to do anything, beyond maps and quest guides, we can see all loot, watch videos of all content, even purchase items and full accounts. The logic can't be to integrate everything because then why have a game at all?

I'm fine with maps, but could do without all the circles and arrows and quest waypoints that lead us around like babies. In a well designed game, with legitimate dungeons and far fewer but more significant quests than typical MMOs, there could still be a real benefit to those who have firsthand knowledge of the game over relying on some wowhead equivalent.
I know I'm jumping back to an old post - I believe the best mapping system is one in which there are maps, but without all of the landmarks. Allow the user to have a robust system of markers and notes, so they can place their own icons and labels on their own maps. I love it when games let you write notes on your own map, not sure why more do not implement this. Adding the ability to choose from different icons would allow a user to map out their own world, with just the shape of the zone or really major landmarks (mountains, rivers) on the map to begin with. When you find a merchant, put a money bag and description on your map - or don't, and don't complain when you can't find him later!

Orthe alternative is a system where positioning matters and tanks still exist even though they don't get a button to just draw every creature in the surrounding area to them.
That already exists - it is called WoW Arena. It has tanks, it has healers, it has DPS, it has CC, but real players aren't dumb enough (usually) to stand there and beat on the tank getting continuously healed.

You could have that in PVE, but it requires group AI smart enough to sort of simulate the intelligence level of whatever monsters they are in the game world. Maybe train the AI in group tactics against real players. Then you could have difficulty without being forced to increase mob HP and Damage to ludicrous levels. At low levels of difficulty mobs would be bad at group tactics. But at high levels the mobs would kite the shit out of melee, zerg ranged, CC healers, interrupt casters, try to run away, etc. Actual tactical difficulty ... not just gear checks, Dance Dance Revolution, and Don't Stand in The Fire.

Mellent_sl

shitlord
That already exists - it is called WoW Arena. It has tanks, it has healers, it has DPS, it has CC, but real players aren't dumb enough (usually) to stand there and beat on the tank getting continuously healed.

You could have that in PVE, but it requires group AI smart enough to sort of simulate the intelligence level of whatever monsters they are in the game world. Maybe train the AI in group tactics against real players. Then you could have difficulty without being forced to increase mob HP and Damage to ludicrous levels. At low levels of difficulty mobs would be bad at group tactics. But at high levels the mobs would kite the shit out of melee, zerg ranged, CC healers, interrupt casters, try to run away, etc. Actual tactical difficulty ... not just gear checks, Dance Dance Revolution, and Don't Stand in The Fire.
Uh huh, that's the gist of it. The only game right now promising something like that is EQN although we'll see how that plays out come winter (or whenever EQNL gets the combat AI in).

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Keep in mind tho.. That is a wheel some would rather not see reinvented. That's the thing with niche.. The game just needs to cater to a certain audience and that's it.. I see what you're saying but some people just prefer things the way they are. People are ok with the Trinity tradeoff. It sounds like your idea would be suited for a bigger budget MMO? I'd like to see it in game for sure. That doesn't change my want to just play a DPS Wizard heh
I guess? EQ is still running, as are lots of games that depend on the Trinity, I don't really see the point in literally remaking a game. We should improve games by learning lessons from them and incorporating those lessons into newer games. Developers certainly don't always do this, and because people are people they VERY often learn the wrong lesson. That is the way these things go.

So what we should do is look at why people like the trinity, what about it makes it fun, interesting, and desirable? Then we look at its drawbacks. What don't people like about it, what does it hinder? The goal is to create a system that is as good or even better than the holy trinity in what it does well, while also mitigating its drawbacks as much as possible. I am not saying this is always possible, or there is always an answer. I do, in this specific instance, think this is one of the easier aspects of MMORPGs to improve on.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I guess? EQ is still running, as are lots of games that depend on the Trinity, I don't really see the point in literally remaking a game. We should improve games by learning lessons from them and incorporating those lessons into newer games. Developers certainly don't always do this, and because people are people they VERY often learn the wrong lesson. That is the way these things go.

So what we should do is look at why people like the trinity, what about it makes it fun, interesting, and desirable? Then we look at its drawbacks. What don't people like about it, what does it hinder? The goal is to create a system that is as good or even better than the holy trinity in what it does well, while also mitigating its drawbacks as much as possible. I am not saying this is always possible, or there is always an answer. I do, in this specific instance, think this is one of the easier aspects of MMORPGs to improve on.
I think quite a few people assumed (you know what they say about assumptions) that's exactly what EQ2 was supposed to be. A continuation of the Everquest story with similar gameplay, and mechanics. And when Vanguard was released, the initial hopes was a "throwback" game to the original Everquest genre. I'll tell ya, Vanguard wasclose, very close. Many people rip Vanguard every chance they get but to this day I will defend it. Buggy? Yes. Incomplete? Yes, but holy crap was the concepts, art, large sprawling world, and quests spot on. Vanguard for all its faults could have been damn near perfection with another year in the hands of a smaller studio made by people who were passionate about fantasy and MMO's. Both games had huge followings who eagerly awaited the release of the game. While not on the numbers of WOW, I am confident that if the games were released as promised, using Everquest as the model, both would have strong sub bases. A million subs was totally possible. And that's not a million at launch, and then a slow decline over a few months, I truly believe it would have stayed a consistent million subs. There IS a market for this game. But as someone else mentioned, the industry is now run by suits who only care about numbers, not a small, passionate team of developers who love gaming and MMO's.

Did I read somewhere you were a dev for Vanguard? You guys were so fucking close. I don't know what the fuck happened with Sigil, but for everything that went wrong, that game was shockingly good, bordering on great, as it was released. Another year and a chance to fix that fucked up engine and Vangard could have been epic, Everquest epic.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Improving on the trinity sounds a lot like what they are hoping to do with EQN. I'm interested in trying their system and seeing how it plays out. Personally I just think we need old school games like EQ and the new ones with new ideas. What if Brad came up with a class/combat system that was a EQ/VG hybrid? That would be a perfect system for me at this point. The so called progress in regards to combat isn't exactly mind blowing. You might have an awesome idea to design a system and I'd like to try it but for the most part the new systems are no better than the trinity or as fun. I don't want to do away with something just b/c it's considered antiquated or not as accessible. I want the industry to make different types of games so we can play one that suits our style and not be forced into something else.

Until the trinity really is improved on in a fun way of course.

GonzytheMage

Golden Knight of the Realm
people like the trinity because people are used to having defined jobs. it also allows people to easily evaluate other peoples performance. i personally like it because its what Im comfortable with, i can pickup any game with the trinity and know exactly what i should be doing.

forge

Lord Nagafen Raider
^^ Thing is it wasn't possible (I never saw it) to AOE camp or burn down the lord camp in Pre-Kunark EQ before mudflation set in without a healer, tank, Mez, and two dps. Unless you were a very early necromancer in which case you could charm the lord's pet and beat him with it. But that was nerfed shortly after necros started soloing lord. When everyone was capped at 50, level 48-50 mobs were hard.
I was a cleric though, it was with 2-3 nerocs with the L49 quad 72dmg pets. This was all prenerf stuff. I generally quit eq before kunark even then returned several times until after velious which I declared it junk once and for all. The point was that we didn't need a tank, necros often healed with shamans thought. I saw plenty of groups get by with just a shaman or druid. It was all dependent on the group makeup as to how well they did. But it was possible, which was what I was saying. Now days you can't just camp a single boss, so it's all about speed and efficiency.

TragedyAnn_sl

shitlord
Did I read somewhere you were a dev for Vanguard? You guys were so fucking close. I don't know what the fuck happened with Sigil, but for everything that went wrong, that game was shockingly good, bordering on great, as it was released. Another year and a chance to fix that fucked up engine and Vangard could have been epic, Everquest epic.
What was it that made Vanguard so close, in your opinion?
I still have great memories of Vanguard. But just about every one on here has a different play-style, and therefore different expectations when it comes to MMOs, so I'm curious what it was about VG...

On a side note, I think skill isn't emphasized enough. EQ2, for example. My main is a Shadow Knight. I tried to be the best SK I could be. I read forums and asked senior SKs questions in-game and tried to learn HOW to play a SK. I have a friend who also plays a SK. He runs into a room and just spams buttons on his hotbars. He never waits for his autoattack, never puts any thought into how to cast or why or when or combos, etc etc.
I always out DPS'd him, but you know what?? He was still successful. He still cleared the room, he still held aggro, so who cares?? I can feel like I'm a better SK in my head, but in reality, it doesn't matter.
Well, it'd be nice to feel like skill mattered. We should go into a room and he should die over and over while I am steady killing shit. mwahahaha...

I think it'd create more of an attachment to your character... Pride, maybe? Because you worked so hard to make yours the best. Not to mention building reputation. Which could possible create more of an attachment to the game and keep people logging in.
"Hey, see if Merlin is available. He's a really good, effective wizard" instead of "We need a wizard. any wizard will do b/c they're all the same anyway".
I happen to know that would keep someone like Merlin logging in again and again (*cough*ego*cough*)
tongue.png

Tol_sl

shitlord
One thing I liked about EQ was that hybrids made things interesting. They obviously weren't optimal, but I feel like a lot of my time in EQ was with weird patchwork groups and that was kind of cool. The lines are kind of blurred for me on exactly when, but I seem to remember early in EQ there was a lot of flexibility. You couldn't do every camp, but I remember having some really bizarre groups that could work together with combinations that just probably wouldn't work now. Things like rangers using roots for CC, having the paladin, druid and ranger all kind of pool heals to cover for the lack of a cleric, charms, aggro kiting and ping ponging to spread the damage around if there wasn't a dedicated tank.

Sure, it's inefficient as hell, but it made for some interesting times. Now, roles have become so rigid in some games (FF14) or so loose in others (GW2) that that kind of stuff doesn't happen any more. I kind of prefer the "let a group loose in a dungeon and let them see what they can do" to the whole instance run deal where it's, "your dedicated tank dropped, game over man."

It might have been around kunark or velious since old world content became trivialish, but there was still stuff worth camping for alts (or, having your alts twinked and being able to do older content easier). That's probably what it was; new mmos usually have zero incentive whatsoever to go back to the old world, and no twinking ability.

Bruman

Golden Squire
I know you weren't asking my opinion - but I'm going to give it anywhos!

In all these MMO threads, people talk about what they want - design wise, VG has almost all of it. It's seriously similar to classic EQ in most regards.

-No instances
-Fully open world
-Focus on grouping and dungeons
-Huge world to explore with tons of interesting nooks and crannies
-Excellent class design - I've hardly tried them all, but most classes don't seem to be 1-2-3-4 rotation style of playing
-Most people love the crafting system (me too, but some would probably prefer rather the simpler and more straight forward style of EQ / WoW)

Obviously it falls short in other important areas - it's buggy and laggy (although it is of course much better these days), and they went and dumped a bunch of WoW-style quests all over the place (although dungeon/grouping exp is still better, if you can get a group). Crafting also gets super tedious due to the artisan saga questline being ripped out due to bugs past a certain point, I heard.

I'm just going to start telling people to play VG again, to hold us over until a real EQ successor comes out, heh. See you in CTD land!

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
One thing I liked about EQ was that hybrids made things interesting. They obviously weren't optimal, but I feel like a lot of my time in EQ was with weird patchwork groups and that was kind of cool. The lines are kind of blurred for me on exactly when, but I seem to remember early in EQ there was a lot of flexibility. You couldn't do every camp, but I remember having some really bizarre groups that could work together with combinations that just probably wouldn't work now. Things like rangers using roots for CC, having the paladin, druid and ranger all kind of pool heals to cover for the lack of a cleric, charms, aggro kiting and ping ponging to spread the damage around if there wasn't a dedicated tank.

Sure, it's inefficient as hell, but it made for some interesting times. Now, roles have become so rigid in some games (FF14) or so loose in others (GW2) that that kind of stuff doesn't happen any more. I kind of prefer the "let a group loose in a dungeon and let them see what they can do" to the whole instance run deal where it's, "your dedicated tank dropped, game over man."

It might have been around kunark or velious since old world content became trivialish, but there was still stuff worth camping for alts (or, having your alts twinked and being able to do older content easier). That's probably what it was; new mmos usually have zero incentive whatsoever to go back to the old world, and no twinking ability.
Pushing small group content just to see what we could pull off was one thing that made EQ so great for me. I played an SK and ran with a Shaman and Warrior friend a lot. We would spend days doing out of the way spots just for the hell of it. I think we spent nearly a month just doing City of Mist, starting at the front and working our way as far as we could. It was never super efficient, but was a ton of fun pushing the limits for what was possible.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Good balance of Solo v. Group play, plus generally solid classes (the only class I played that was underpowered compared to the rest was the Psionicist). You could solo to cap but you would miss out on great dungeon experiences which meant that you would usually avoid soloing if you could help it, but if you logged in and there was nobody on and you didn't feel like forming a group you had stuff to do.

Early WoW Vanilla was similar - you could solo to cap, but you generally wanted to do some dungeon running for blues because (a) with the slower Vanilla XP, getting some blue gear for leveling actually mattered a little and (b) the dungeons were pretty fun.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
When people talk about the Holy Trinity, do you refer to the (original?) Tank/Healer/CC trinity or the Tank/Healer/DPS trinity? I remember it became the latter after newer games did not bother much with CC anymore exept some stunning maybe. This also because of the faster paced combat of newer games.

Just wondering if people are advocating the old fashioned trinity which would probably also mean some other changes. Like mobs not falling over in packs when you breathe on them, and a certain penalty to dying so that controlling the fight becomes more important.