Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Heh, I don't know why anyone would be surprised by such a comment. The guy's been batshit loco for decades. He built a fucking castle and insisted on being called "Lord" for god's sake. Hell, he took his latest wife's name too!

edit: reading his Wiki page, it's even more hilarious that he's Kickstarting this shit. He was awarded 28 million when he sued NCSoft over his departure. So not only did he have enough money to spend 30 million to fly to space back in 2008, he has a bunch more money from the lawsuit. And yet he needs people to kick in money for his pet project? Give me a break.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Garriott lost me with his "I don't know any game designers as good as me" comments really early on in the Kickstarter campaign.
That's what happens when you live in a bubble. You begin to live in a delusional state that can be very difficult to get out of. Just ask Curt or Lumie.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Heh, I don't know why anyone would be surprised by such a comment. The guy's been batshit loco for decades. He built a fucking castle and insisted on being called "Lord" for god's sake. Hell, he took his latest wife's name too!

edit: reading his Wiki page, it's even more hilarious that he's Kickstarting this shit. He was awarded 28 million when he sued NCSoft over his departure. So not only did he have enough money to spend 30 million to fly to space back in 2008, he has a bunch more money from the lawsuit. And yet he needs people to kick in money for his pet project? Give me a break.
Which is why it blows me away to see people contribute to his kickstarter, or even Mark Jacobs who also got a boatload of money from EA for selling out to the man. However, both of those guys will probably release actual products. I really don't think Mcquaid's will ever make it to the design phase, let alone become an actual product. It's amusing when your kickstarter drive is just an open Q and A with nothing else.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Which is why it blows me away to see people contribute to his kickstarter, or even Mark Jacobs who also got a boatload of money from EA for selling out to the man. However, both those guys will probably release actual products. I really don't think Mcquaid's will ever make it to the design phase, let alone become an actual product.
Why? Strictly bc of what happen with VG?

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Garriott lost me with his "I don't know any game designers as good as me" comments really early on in the Kickstarter campaign.
He made UO (kind of) therefore he can say this. Allthought Ralph Koster can yell it.

Oldschool UO was the best MMO of all time ever, anywhere.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Why? Strictly bc of what happen with VG?
That is the elephant in the room, yes. Also, what did he do in his return to SOE? Jacobs had a concept and sales pitch. Garriott has a ton of really good games and a decent background in programming. Both of them seem to have planned out their return and are dilligently working, even if I don't think either game will be that good. I do think both games will be released. Based on his twitter and what we've seen I don't think Brad has any idea what he wants, except a lot of kickstarter funds.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Pretty sure I read that Brad is Chief Creative Officer on this project, and will have very little impact on its actual completion. I could be wrong though.

Edit: ya it says he's cco in his LinkedIn profile

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That is the elephant in the room, yes. Also, what did he do in his return to SOE? Jacobs had a concept and sales pitch. Garriott has a ton of really good games and a decent background in programming. Both of them seem to have planned out their return and are dilligently working, even if I don't think either game will be that good. I do think both games will be released. Based on his twitter and what we've seen I don't think Brad has any idea what he wants, except a lot of kickstarter funds.
Because you just mention EQ around here and people jizz in their pants and are ready to throw money at the computer on PR words :p

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Because you just mention EQ around here and people jizz in their pants and are ready to throw money at the computer on PR words :p
People are also ready to shoot the project down without hearing the details or the team. EQ is jizz worthy. Always will be.

It's pretty clear what Brad wants.. Not sure why it's unclear?

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I guess, a lot just think he had his chance. He's old now and nobody is really backing him. You can post any fucking thing you want on LinkedIn. Hell, I could name myself CoO of a company TOMORROW. Doesn't mean I have a dime.

God, I even posted my Vision for an MMO in probably the EQ Next thread and I'd even gone as far as napkin'd out a few design ideas with a buddy (an old EQ raider) regarding a game based on guild betrayals/alliances with all mobs being competitive and encouraged kill stealing. At the end of the day, I'm an upper middle class engineer without near enough financial resources to get a "team" together to make it. (never mind that my programming skills are zilch outside Vis Basic in excel....)

I don't get the blind good will. On the plus side, the guy has computer skills so maybe he can get the design enough down and some assets done enough to sell the project to a company to back. That's his best bet I think.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I guess, a lot just think he had his chance. He's old now and nobody is really backing him. You can post any fucking thing you want on LinkedIn. Hell, I could name myself CoO of a company TOMORROW. Doesn't mean I have a dime.

God, I even posted my Vision for an MMO in probably the EQ Next thread and I'd even gone as far as napkin'd out a few design ideas with a buddy (an old EQ raider) regarding a game based on guild betrayals/alliances with all mobs being competitive and encouraged kill stealing. At the end of the day, I'm an upper middle class engineer without near enough financial resources to get a "team" together to make it. (never mind that my programming skills are zilch outside Vis Basic in excel....)

I don't get the blind good will. On the plus side, the guy has computer skills so maybe he can get the design enough down and some assets done enough to sell the project to a company to back. That's his best bet I think.
Ya, because a mid level engineer scribbling thoughts down is the same thing as the lead designer of one of the most highly regarded MMOs of all time starting an independent project... Come on. The good will is not blind at all.

Your whole post is an exercise in hyperbole. Nobody is throwing the guy a parade. We're talking about 50 people on a backwoods Internet MMO board that are expressing pretty cautious optimism about the project.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
And most of the posts in this thread aren't a lot of hyperbole? That's the point.

I guess the equivalent would be me, as a lead engineer on a few multi-million dollar projects at my current employer, leaving to start a new chemical company. In today's reality, I just don't see it happening.

I expect his idea gets bought and that's how it gets made, if ever.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Honestly I think VG is the one reason I think this project has a chance... VG was damn close...

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Honestly I think VG is the one reason I think this project has a chance... VG was damn close...
i agree. VG was as close to a good MMO as i have played since EQ. if that game would have had 6 more months, and if microsoft didn't back out, it would have been solid. the concept was there, just lacked execution.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I know Brad said he's going to be answering questions in a video, but not sure why anyone takes it to mean he's literally going to show a Q&A video and ask for money. It's going to be integrated within the pitch of the product (likely in video and text) unless Brad has completely overlooked with Kickstarter projects should be. At the very least, I'm confident it'll be a good and thorough pitch. He's been working on it a while now, so at least he's taking care.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
What if SOE gave him license to use the scrapped version of EQ Next and he's allowed to use the engine and models to make EQ3? Hmmm...

nergal

Trakanon Raider
Would be cool but it's not going to happen. People are already confused with EQN and EQN:L and adding EQ3 to the mix would be stupid move for SOE.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Will be named Beyond Everquest Game, or BEG, which will fit the kickstarter campaign nicely.

Also Beyong Mastmoore will be the end game raid.