Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I like flying mounts... they add a great deal of immersion and customization, and would like to see them.

However, not just as WoW did it.

- Flying should be an extremely rare and sought after privilege. And that's just the skill to fly.
- Obtaining a mount - mechanical or organic - would involve some significant crafting or adventuring achievements to be able to obtain
- They cost money to operate, either in food or fuel, and you occasionally need to stop to do that
- Have some sort of "cooldown" debuff to prevent them from taking off right after landing... call it "Refueling" (Mechanical) or "Feeding Time" (Organic) or whatever
Fucking 14'ers

Love in-game flight too (could be timed so we don't skip content) but it add a great sense of freedom for me and I love real 3D zones designed with flight in mind.

After the 1000th time running around on the same place why not fly over it? Better than insta-click-teleports.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
No flight, first person. Maybe Sand Giants will actually feel big again. I'm banking on no flight, but predicting third person.

Khayos_sl

shitlord
Oh I forgot, I don't know if it is feasible, or if Brad and co. are already considering it, but going on the first person from gogojira, Oculus Rift Support. The Dev kit is only 300 dollars and you can incorporate the coding into the game.

Khayos_sl

shitlord
Love in-game flight too (could be timed so we don't skip content) but it add a great sense of freedom for me and I love real 3D zones designed with flight in mind.

After the 1000th time running around on the same place why not fly over it? Better than insta-click-teleports.
I personally do not want flying in the game even as flight paths, however if flying mounts were to be put into the game I feel the best way would be as a reward for defeating the most difficult raid encounter in the game(to date), and only one person from the raid can get it at a time. Then have the Flying mount have a time limit of X amount of time per day of use, based on the world size, so you cant always fly all over the place. This way you have to plan how you are going to use it, if at all each day. (See Log Horizon Episode 2 and 3).

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
I am pretty certain that the ding noise is not owned by SoE because I have heard it in other games.
Lol no shit, I heard it in some Nintendo 3DS Mario game and went all Pavlov dog on it yelling Hey that's from EQ.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Please no flying mounts or flight paths. I'd prefer no mounts period, keeping things like jboots (and SoW, see the previous few posts) worthwhile.

But if you must put them in, they have to be slower than any buff provided by another class.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
All characters should have to crawl on their hands and knees until level 15, which takes 72 days played to reach. 100 will be the level cap.

What, other than "WoW did it!" is the hatred for flying mounts? Honest question.

Bruman

Golden Squire
All characters should have to crawl on their hands and knees until level 15, which takes 72 days played to reach. 100 will be the level cap.

What, other than "WoW did it!" is the hatred for flying mounts? Honest question.
That it trivializes travel. People enjoy travel making the world feel big, kills a lot of the class interdependency, therefore the highly social nature, that EQ had a lot. Also it makes travel super safe, while it was quite dangerous in EQ (unless again, you got certain classes to help you, or traveled with friends).

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just fucking fix the mistakes of Vanguard. It's that simple.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE FUCKING HELMETS THIS TIME BRAD.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Okay, explain the mechanics of putting mounts in the game, say at level 20, while at the same time, having a buff like SoW.

It will render SoW next to worthless outdoors, which means that's one less way people will interact. Another design decision that will lead to the overworld being a quiet wasteland full of people passing each other by on mounts at upper levels.

No.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Not about WoW at all for me and I don't hate it all of the time. However, unless a game is absolutely gargantuan in scale, flight seems like a fast way to shrinking a world. That's basically my sentiment for third person, too. I don't actually hate the view and I can see benefits to it, but when you're looking at a giant from eye level of your character, it's so much easier to put a scale on things.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I feel if a game like EQOA could be seemless without chunking issues, a modern game should be able to do this just fine too.

Has there been any word on if Brad is considering Oculus Rift support? First person view is one thing, but Oculus Rift first person view would be the win big time. They could recycle the old EQ thing of "You're in our world now," and modify it to say, "You're REALLY in our world now!"

I can't think of a better way to create true immersion.