Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Screenshots are used to display art, and pretty much that exclusively. For stills, use in-house concept art. To demonstrate the combat or mechanics, use generic imported models and make it clear it's not theirs, simply a way to demonstrate combat, animations or physics, etc. Doesn't seem that hard.

I mean, I don't think this is as detrimental to being 'close' to launching a billion dollar franchise and paying a third party to create a game trailer, and then nobody in either company apparently raises even an eyebrow at the main character in the video stabbing a skeleton. That was a colossal fuck up and indicative of mismanagement of pandemic proportions.

This, so far, is just one of those moments where you wonder what the point was, as it's not a big deal... until it is or is the kind of thing that becomes protocol.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Orges were mentioned in the Lore quotes in the KS. I figure they are already a sure thing. That being said, I kind of agree with you. Those of us who like the fatty's, REALLY like the fatty's.
+1 for this. I really want to get my hopes up and assume trolls will make it too. Though I don't see how bards/monks would make it before them.

Arthanis

Trakanon Raider
Hi all,

New blood here. Long time lurker since FoH.

I'm in with 45$ , might pledge more in a few weeks . I think bards are too expensive
frown.png

Go Brad you are our only hope!

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Heh, you guys & those screenshots, comedy gold!

To Brad,
1.) please rename the pre-alpha-screenshots to something like "combat prototype (100% placeholder art)" and write a few lines about the tech/engine you use (unity) and that at this stage you concentrate on getting the most important aspect of the game functional and in good shape (combat/group interaction). "Pre-alpha" suggests that this is already some early form of the real game.. and thats really not the case.

2.) do a mockup/photoshop screenshot (and name it accordingliy) of what you want the game to look like approx. so people will get a better understanding about that aspect (you got some graphics guys in your team to do that?).

3.) write some lines about the payment model of the released game. atm the info is scattered about and not really clearly communicated.

4.) clearer info on combat/group composition, "holy trinity"?, is it action combat or not? (thats unclear to me atm with all the talk about dodging/reacting to mobs telegraphing their moves etc).

5.) think about releasing info about the basic races/classes as soon as possible. Which races and classes is really enough, details can come later in the KS. We know which classes/races are stretch goals and can narrow the base classes down, but its uncertain what will be in and i think thats holding people back a bit atm...

good luck!

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
rrr_img_56592.jpg

WTF Slash?

Brad, they don't call me Chief Slapaho for nothin'. Take that comic book shit, and GTFO.

Man, one second I'm all in, the next I'm picking my jaw up off the floor 'cause of the stupid shit I am seeing.
That's all "stock" crap if you will.... I'm with you though. Someone needs to go ahead and get that stuff out before it sticks in our minds.

Someone mentioned earlier about leaving in all the assets from the store. That kind of bugged me as well but I know they were trying to depict their direction but honestly, that leaves a lot to be desired. What we were shown yesterday can easily change quite drastically months from now.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Man, Kotaku and SA comments both have a lot of negativity and "HE RUINED VG" and what not. Maybe it hadn't been long enough for people to forget about some of that stuff.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
It's #1 on the hotlist at Kicktraq, but it's trending total has adjusted down to just under 900,000(it was over 1.1 mil early last night). I would say by Friday, we'll have a really good idea on how it's looking and there will probably be enough data to get an expected total on Kicktraq.

Hot List :: Kicktraq

Aela_sl

shitlord
My biggest concern right now is I think the reward levels are poorly designed, from a marketing PoV. They should have offered 500 of the alpha invite levels at $40 or so, then another 500 once those sold out at an updated price. Something to give a feeling of "early bird" rush rewards. I also noticed that the 25 $300 ones are nearly gone, this is a great example of this. Otherwise don't bother putting rewards noted as limited. It is highly unlikely that we'll see those sell out.

Plus, guild size rewards would have been nice to see. We had considered doing that, but it wasn't an option.

Brad has made some serious mistakes on this Kickstarter and I hope he?s open to constructive criticism. First, as I?ve mentioned before, there?s no unlimited pledge level other than the $10 level which GETS YOU NOTHING, not even forum access. That needs to change fast.

His second biggest mistake is illustrated right here:

rrr_img_56612.jpg

Zero backed? He?s known he?s going to do a Kickstarter since September, so?.what? He never bothered to log on and back some other people?s projects? Kickstarter is as much social networking as it is gold mine. If you?re a veteran of that site, you know how much cross-promotion goes one when someone?s backer starts a project of his own. By not engaging in the Kickstarter community early, Brad not only failed to make a lot of connections, he failed to learn from successful Kickstarters like Mighty Number 9 or Camelot Unchained. Mutualism is a huge part of what makes Kickstarter work, and it seems like Brad only just heard of Kickstarter but never deeply explored what it's all about.

All work on Pantheon the game needs to cease during the Kickstarter and the whole dev team needs to be on every website that cares from here to pjpantheon.com to mmorpg.com to wherever else interacting with fans and promoting the game. They need to be doing interviews everywhere they can. At least one every two or three days. The Twitter should be much more active than they currently are. Having a successful Kickstarter, especially one of this magnitude, is hard work. You have to be on it all the time. I do appreciate Aradune posting on this board from time to time, but it?s going to take a lot more than that to reach the funding goal. It?s a full time job to raise money through Kickstarter. It doesn?t happen by magic.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Words from the same person who criticized people for getting trailblazer packs for EQNL, because we had "no info". This kickstarter is barren of info yet people are putting money down yet this is totally different somehow
This is a startup not some deep pocket company.. It's not the same. I don't know how else to say this but at some point you're going to have to take a leap of faith.. The same goes with all games in regards to features.. Talk is cheap but there is isn't a whole lot we can do about it with the way KS is setup.. It boils down to if you think Brad and team can get the job done or not.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I would up my donation for a lifetime sub tier. $500 seems reasonable to me.

Make it happen, Brad.
I'm betting there would be a lot of interest in that package, but I'd suggest making it available after the KS campaign is over. That way Amazon doesn't get a $50 cut from every lifetime sub sold.

Aela_sl

shitlord
His second biggest mistake is illustrated right here:

rrr_img_56612.jpg

Zero backed? He's known he's going to do a Kickstarter since September, so..what? He never bothered to log on and back some other people's projects? Kickstarter is as much social networking as it is gold mine. If you're a veteran of that site, you know how much cross-promotion goes one when someone's backer starts a project of his own. By not engaging in the Kickstarter community early, Brad not only failed to make a lot of connections, he failed to learn from successful Kickstarters like Mighty Number 9 or Camelot Unchained. Mutualism is a huge part of what makes Kickstarter work, and it seems like Brad only just heard of Kickstarter but never deeply explored what it's all about.
I believe that is the "company" account, not his personal one. At least, I think it looks that way. Not that I am saying it is right. I'm just saying.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know if pointing out that history is repeating itself, almost ENTIRELY the same way, is internet tough guying, but it was probably a better attempt than yours. I seem to have said something truly terrible to offend your delicate sensibilities.

I'm not being a bitch to being a bitch, I am truly astounded. I made the point about not paying for a WoW sub because if I actually HAD to fund it myself it might be harder for me to justify and play it, but I don't. It's easier to be less harsh on something that isn't directly affecting your pocketbook, though I've been plenty cynical and upbraiding about WoW in the last few years anyways.

We've been burned without KS, and with it. An MMO being funded in such a way does offend my MMO nerve endings. It's absolutely proper and fine to pay for a sub, which often has the tendency to act in much the same way: funding for a continuously expanding and updateable world. However, this is someone who has nothing left to his name but a game people remember from 15 years ago, but has plenty to diminish it in recent years, and people are throwing money at the project for the promise of a dream world full of lollipop flowers and gum drop houses and peppermint rivers.

I keep rereading the KS and all of the posts and I am just simply more and more flabbergasted. I was young as shit when I got into UO and EQ and it changeduniversallyhow I think about games, but I'll be damned if I'm going to float this guy's boat in an ocean of cash for promises that are just repeated from a failed project years ago.

I don't think there's been giant amounts of innovation in the genre, but I don't see anything to suspect that Pantheon will be the holy grail and those associated Dr. Jones and crew to save the fucking day from the nazi playerbase. Especially considering those hugely in favor of it have been largely malicious to actual new ideas in the genre that are good, but were part of other games deemed too "mainstream" or "casual". (Especially when all of those words are recognized in vastly different ways amongst various people.)

I'll take the rap for being negative; but at least I'm here in this bitch with actual reasons for being wary, instead of the fucking lame ass excuse of "WoW is for lamerz, it's so easyyy, give me something hard."

Because god damn, the hardest thing about EQ back in the day was finding a cleric whose computer didn't require them to face the wall to avoid video lag.

TL;DR: When he stops Peter Molyneuxing, I might be in this for more than just walls of text.
If I need to, yes. I really don't want to dwell on the past -- it's time to be forward thinking and to get excited about the future. That said, you guys need to know that we've learned from our mistakes so some discussion may be appropriate. If we aren't honest and we don't learn from the past, then the past was simply a failure and a defeat. I refuse to look at it that way and we won't be defeated by the mistakes of the past, because we are going to learn from them and do a better job this time. I've learned so much, especially about myself, because of both my successes and my failures.

For me it all came in a frustrating sequence. 9 times out of 10 a person fails, fails, fails, and then succeeds (if he ever succeeds at all). For me it was 1. huge success (half a billion dollars of profit for Sony, etc.), 2. Commercial failure (I say commercial because I still think VG was awesome in many ways and I?m still proud of it)

Anyway, the success first and failure second really jacked with my mind. I became extremely arrogant, thinking whatever I touched would turn into gold. And then when things didn't work out so well on my second try it was really quite a blow to me because I had deluded myself big time. I ended up in a bad place and I never want to be back there again, ever.

But also in learning more about myself over the years, I know this is what I want to do for the rest of my life: make MMOs that I and other gamers want to play. It's just who I am and it's the only thing that professionally makes me happy.

I just don't want to get bogged down in the past too much. If it makes sense to discuss something about the past, then I'll participate. But to be totally upfront and honest, I'm here primarily to promote my new game. It's a blast talking with you all, and I'm here for that as well, but let's spend most of the time here together facing forward. We will need your feedback and opinions in order to insure we make the game you guys want and that I want. It's about community building and being accessible.

Anyways, I hope that makes sense.

-Brad
I'm guessing you missed this post and are just so bent on telling us we are dumb for supporting a niche game that nobody is even remotely interested in making.. Some people just deserve a second shot.. it's on Brad to win back his favor so I'm not going to sit here and try to convince you of anything but at this point you're really beating a dead horse.. We all know and understand the risk here.

Aela_sl

shitlord
Well, that and a lot of folks actually do want Everquest again. It was a unique game, and the only thing that ever came close was Vanguard, which also has a lot of great things about it. Maybe he learned something from his failures, maybe not. I am, however, willing to give him $45 to give him a chance to try.

I believe that is the "company" account, not his personal one. At least, I think it looks that way. Not that I am saying it is right. I'm just saying.
You make a fair point, but before posting I searched for Aradune and Brad McQuaid on Kickstarter and could not find any project backed by either of those names. It's possible that my search-fu is weak, but I could find my name easily enough doing a search. So I went with the educated guess that he hasn't backed anything, or if he has, it hasn't been enough for me to find.