Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Aradune_sl

shitlord
Brad, on your KS page, did you mean to write "the path of least resistance should also be the most entertaining" because that seems backwards.
It means that if the path of least resistance is to sit there and kill the same mob all of the time then that is what many players will do. Even if they know the less efficient content is more fun. We want to avoid this, so the more efficient route, or the path of least resistance, should be the fun content. Does that make sense?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Gear (pt. 2): Twinking was one of the things that players loved the hell out of in EQ. We'd like to see it return.

Thank goodness. I know you're probably concerned about professional farmers, but Brad, if there is any way to eliminate a lot of BoE/BoP, please do it. The twinking process was such a natural way to speed up old content, it provided a market for older items (There by ensuring people in those dungeons) and just the fact that it felt immersive not being blocked from trading "just because the world says so".

Aradune_sl

shitlord
I agree physical swag would be amazing. Not sure it's in the budget. But yea I got all sorts of cloth maps that I swear imma frame and hang one of these days... would love to add another to the collection...
I love tangible swag too. We hope to have more, but are a little hesitant to commit to a bunch of it right now.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I'm a little less forgiving.
lose some sleep this month. Make this happen Brad.

I feel the same way about this kickstarter. They should be working in shifts, all day, every day, for the next 39 days.
Same here. I get it's not a paid position but caffeine it up , man it up , and be everywhere you can talking about anything Pantheon related Brad. The more placed you go the more potential for money. It's the nature of KS.

Also on side note as saw someone mention the Linux thing , yesterday I mentioned you need to push the OS X portion Brad. It's a much smaller segment , but a starved for anything segment that goes ape over any dev that makes a game for OS X also. I posted a link to the KS on Macrumors game section , but really , take a bit here and there and push the fact you are making it to run on that platform also. It's a selling point.

Aradune_sl

shitlord
Gear (pt. 2): Twinking was one of the things that players loved the hell out of in EQ. We'd like to see it return.

Thank goodness. I know you're probably concerned about professional farmers, but Brad, if there is any way to eliminate a lot of BoE/BoP, please do it. The twinking process was such a natural way to speed up old content, it provided a market for older items (There by ensuring people in those dungeons) and just the fact that it felt immersive not being blocked from trading "just because the world says so".
Here's a bit of the FAQ I'm working on regarding this:

We believe the economy in Pantheon should be predicated on delaying and minimizing item value de?ation (mudflation). Pantheon will have an open economy. There will be many ways for resources to enter the world and a number of ways for items to leave the economy. In all MMO economies controlling mudflation is of paramount importance. The world of Terminus will be a world where having an immense amount of liquid material wealth should be uncommon. The game's economy should encourage players to spend their resources via a number of upkeep and upgrade mechanisms. Some of these mechanisms include, but are not limited to: donating old items or tithing signi?cant money to a temple for special long term bu?s, limited item degradation and the need for repairs, and quests that require the player's current 'best' item to be turned in as one of the components.

So twinking will not be stopped, but we hope there's also other compelling reasons to use your old items elsewhere. Just so the twinning doesn't happen too quickly.

Aradune_sl

shitlord
Same here. I get it's not a paid position but caffeine it up , man it up , and be everywhere you can talking about anything Pantheon related Brad. The more placed you go the more potential for money. It's the nature of KS.

Also on side note as saw someone mention the Linux thing , yesterday I mentioned you need to push the OS X portion Brad. It's a much smaller segment , but a starved for anything segment that goes ape over any dev that makes a game for OS X also. I posted a link to the KS on Macrumors game section , but really , take a bit here and there and push the fact you are making it to run on that platform also. It's a selling point.
The Mac icon has been on the KS page since the beginning, and then I also yesterday added some text letting people know there would be a Windows and Mac client.

Aela_sl

shitlord
Yes Brad should definitely read it. Good stuff and a lot of it is forgotten by most.
The link here was to the second page, I modified it... Go back and look again of you only saw 6-10.
wink.png

Aradune_sl

shitlord
We are indeed throwing everybody and everything at this effort. It's all hands on deck. And we love it and are having a great time -- please don't mistake anything I've said as complaining; rather, I was just being up front with the resources we do have.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Not really one of my top concerns but I have been curious yours or others opinions on auctions houses and how that has progressed from EC Tunnels. What do you feel has been done right? I personally like what EQII did as they tied it to your house or guild hall. I personally always wanted to see a player to be able to build a house/shop like you discovered in EQ1 traveling through the commons to where you could set up a shop. People could mark on their map a preferred shop they would visit for potions, armor, blacksmithing/repairs, etc.

Note.. i'm not against maps as long as they are generated by discovery and/or personal markers made by the player. However, I would love to see some immersion through houses, shops, tradeskilling, exploration, etc. as I have always felt they impacted one another.

Aradune_sl

shitlord
I'll let Ryahl (my husband and the author of the piece) know it was enjoyed. He lurks here sometimes, but doesn't read the site as much as I (and I usually just lurk).

It is always nice to hear folks read/like his stuff. Did you read it Brad? You should!
wink.png

(Edit- I noticed the second page of the article was linked, so I edited it to goto the start)
I will read through it tonight -- it's added to my TODO list. Thanks for making me aware of it.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
We are indeed throwing everybody and everything at this effort. It's all hands on deck. And we love it and are having a great time -- please don't mistake anything I've said as complaining; rather, I was just being up front with the resources we do have.
Coming from someone who owns his own business..the pain you will feel this month will be forgotten next month.
smile.png

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
The Mac icon has been on the KS page since the beginning, and then I also yesterday added some text letting people know there would be a Windows and Mac client.
Yeah I saw the Apple icon and that's what caught my eye. Just might want to send Macrumors or some other boards/site a little blurb about it and get it listed in their news feed. They really do go for devs who develop for the OS X stuff.

Also , any chance of expanding the 300 tier ? I think you'd see a lot of us 250 folks bump up to it now , not asking for 1000 of it as I know you have to design the items interacting with use common folk , but even another 100 of them would mean another 5000 dollars rather quickly I think.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Re: Professional farmers and bots, from my experience they exist in very easy, very infrequently trafficked areas. If you put all the good gear in the bottom of dungeons like guk they won't be able to access it so easily. Instead they'll be farming hill giants in Rathe Mountains.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Here's a bit of the FAQ I'm working on regarding this:

We believe the economy in Pantheon should be predicated on delaying and minimizing item value de?ation (mudflation). Pantheon will have an open economy. There will be many ways for resources to enter the world and a number of ways for items to leave the economy. In all MMO economies controlling mudflation is of paramount importance. The world of Terminus will be a world where having an immense amount of liquid material wealth should be uncommon. The game's economy should encourage players to spend their resources via a number of upkeep and upgrade mechanisms. Some of these mechanisms include, but are not limited to: donating old items or tithing signi?cant money to a temple for special long term bu?s, limited item degradation and the need for repairs, and quests that require the player's current 'best' item to be turned in as one of the components.

So twinking will not be stopped, but we hope there's also other compelling reasons to use your old items elsewhere. Just so the twinning doesn't happen too quickly.
That sounds good, man. I personally agree with it, but even if people don't agree with aspects? It's nice to here concrete plans to tackle real issues we know will be in a game that doesn't use a Soul Bind/Instance system of rewards.

For what it's worth, I think this is what a lot of people are looking for. When WoW (And even later EQ) fixed these issues, they did it by stripping out the whole mechanic of fungible/liquid loot (BoE/BoP/Required level). I think people really want to see someone go back and try tofixthe flaws in the system, rather than just remove it. And those sound like some good starts to ideas that might do that.