Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I'm fine with having to search for quest givers, but agree that it's going to be hard to go back to that. I've been playing FFXIV and like their quest design and their phasing for storyline purposes.

I'm very glad to hear about the limited access to abilities via hot keys. Just like the spell gems in EQ, having to plan what skills you have access to before going into battle adds more to the game for me. That moment in a dungeon where you realize you left SoW in and didn't memorize Succor... Oh, please have saved skill sets though to reset after death.

Downtime - here's hoping you design it in with opportunities for players to minimize via group makeup or creative means. I don't like aggro kiting myself, but many did just that, maybe taking longer to kill the mob but ready to kill another when it drops. Charm killing with high RvR. Or chain pulling until mana is empty and bladders need to be emptied (brb bio).

So much more comes to mind, but typing on this damn phone at work sucks.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
You can't have a world where players are totally fucked if they can't get a port. I guess I'll stay in kelethin cause no on will port me to ec so i can level with my buddies and there are no boats
To me, that's a beauty of a MMO. You have to remove instant gratification or MMO's just become like any other game genre. Everything about a MMO should be tied to an investment. I'm not saying you limit the options to the point it is near impossible but I would think you would have something like...

1. (Best option) Port
2. Pay a person to travel using their boat (maybe this is another set of trade skills or even a guild perk that is like the base in-game boats but maybe 50% faster)
3. You use the in-game boats that are on some type of schedule

BankBank_sl

shitlord
You can't have a world where players are totally fucked if they can't get a port. I guess I'll stay in kelethin cause no on will port me to ec so i can level with my buddies and there are no boats.

I repeat there are no boats. Go look at the water content tier again.
well if there are multiple continents separated by water then there MUST be water travel..

Aradune_sl

shitlord
I think it is close. I think travel, if granted any convenience, should be player driven from top to bottom. I think EQ did it right not giving access to expedient travel too early. I'm not against mounts or anything but I would like to see players once they get max level, based on class, get access to a trade skill that allows them to learn travel. Wizards, Druids, and maybe others. They would be the only people that can learn these abilities, spells, or whatever and also make it part of the economy some how.
I'll work something up on travel and post it here and elsewhere. Give me a day or so, thx.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
You can't have a world where players are totally fucked if they can't get a port. I guess I'll stay in kelethin cause no on will port me to ec so i can level with my buddies and there are no boats.

I repeat there are no boats. Go look at the water content tier again.
I was just trying to still make a mix of having some starting areas/cities not instant port everywhere. I remember as a early level human paladin in EQ taking the boat and walking all across from Butcherblock to the elven area and just seeing how far I could get.

I get what you are saying , but I left that and Rivervale out intentionally as I think it makes it intriguing to have some racial areas/cities more secluded than others. Both for the folks actually starting there and also for people traveling to there. A city becomes more interesting to me if it's not something I can instant port to at will.

If it would be too much to walk from Kelethin to Butcherblock to then port to Qeynos , they could have it where (using EQ example) , you could start your lvl one halfling druid in Qeynos if you chose instead of Rivervale.

Leaves that choice up to the player then.

Vandraad_sl

shitlord
Using original EQ as a template , what would you all be happy with teleport wise if it has to be in ?

Freeport/Qeynos/Butcherblock only and anywhere else you are hoofing it or using a druid/wiz port ?
I liked the distribution of the wizard and druid spires in that they were not both in identical areas. Sometimes the Druid portal was closer to a given area of interest other times it was the Wizard.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
@Mulligan if there were boats I'd agree. But has to be a way to get from big island a to mainland b if that's the setup, otherwise you are stranding players. I agree wow flight paths are ridiculous.

@Prodigal I feel your pain.

I still think con system should be tied to quest system. Basic quest givers should con "may have a quest for you". Epic quests might require eq style [Rickshaw] or whatever

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
So in Three days KS has done about 60k first day, followed by 30k in each the 2 following. Basically this project needs to be doing an avg of no less then 18.5k per day over the rest of the time frame.

Basically it looks better then simply the weak first day numbers but this is still not a sure thing. If it keeps hitting like 20-30k for the rest of the week maybe we can exhale a bit.. I mean based on the performance of other KS that seems unlikely but doing 50% of it's day 1 performance in both days 2 and 3 gives em a bit of hope that might be possible, I would really like to see at least 23k for today.

Still feel it's like to be a close run thing

Man, the comments section on the Kickstarter is just exploding. I can't keep up with it anymore. I don't know how the devs will. If Ben can handle all that, he definitely deserves credit.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
Man, the comments section on the Kickstarter is just exploding. I can't keep up with it anymore. I don't know how the devs will. If Ben can handle all that, he definitely deserves credit.
Everytime I go there everyone is just telling stories about old EQ memories. Your not missing anything. I'd rather read ONE Lithose post then a hundred of their stupid stories. The discussion here is actually intelligent and thought provoking.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
To me, that's a beauty of a MMO. You have to remove instant gratification or MMO's just become like any other game genre. Everything about a MMO should be tied to an investment. I'm not saying you limit the options to the point it is near impossible but I would think you would have something like...
I think having a variance would be a good thing, especially if you made the variance in movement time interesting. For example. Wizards have ports. Druids have animal calls: Animal calls essentially means at a certain level, they need to go train a griffon, and store him. Then they can call the Griffon to give themselves or someone else a ride to a set of druid rings (And there would be more druid rings). So the druid griffon call would go to more places (benefit), but be more difficult to do (Having to catch and upkeep a griffon) and would take longer (Flight time), and you'd only be able to do it one at a time (Negatives, because you have the benefit of more locations). So you get a lot more places, but less broad in terms of how you can transport.

I'd really like the idea of a few choices in fast travel, but each choice having benefits and trade offs--and then dispersing those choices among a few classes. I also like the idea of travel being a mechanic within the world. So for a wizard to be able to port somewhere, he needs to go to that gate and attune himself. For a druid to be able to give someone a ride, they need to go catch a Griff and learn where their rings are ect. I'd really like the world to have a kind of fidelity in terms of how things work within it. I know that's probably wishful thinking, but man, would it be cool.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I liked the distribution of the wizard and druid spires in that they were not both in identical areas. Sometimes the Druid portal was closer to a given area of interest other times it was the Wizard.
I agree to a point. Putting teleport hubs in major cities is a good idea. The problem arises when you are offering the same locations as say, wizzy spires. This eliminates the need for player ports. I think having porting as a function of the economy like we saw with EQ is a good thing. I suppose if you put it on a 15 minute timer like the spires it could work. I just don't want a replacement for player porting.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
New tier. Expanded advisor tier at 600.

visionary you need to update the post consultant tiers to read except advisor and consultant tier) except for 10k tier

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Can we have Druids, Rangers, or Wizards (wink) possibly summon an eagle that gives you a one way travel to a location. At the cost of some relatively expensive reagent of course.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I think having a variance would be a good thing, especially if you made the variance in movement time interesting. For example. Wizards have ports. Druids have animal calls: Animal calls essentially means at a certain level, they need to go train a griffon, and store him. Then they can call the Griffon to give themselves or someone else a ride to a set of druid rings (And there would be more druid rings). So the druid griffon call would go to more places (benefit), but be more difficult to do (Having to catch and upkeep a griffon) and would take longer (Flight time), and you'd only be able to do it one at a time (Negatives, because you have the benefit of more locations). So you get a lot more places, but less broad in terms of how you can transport.

I'd really like the idea of a few choices in fast travel, but each choice having benefits and trade offs--and then dispersing those choices among a few classes. I also like the idea of travel being a mechanic within the world. So for a wizard to be able to port somewhere, he needs to go to that gate and attune himself. For a druid to be able to give someone a ride, they need to go catch a Griff and learn where their rings are ect. I'd really like the world to have a kind of fidelity in terms of how things work within it. I know that's probably wishful thinking, but man, would it be cool.
That's actually brilliant. A druid shouldn't just "zap" there, a griffon appears and flys the party to the location.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate

There can also be different types of target content. You can design areas that are far out in the nether that take hours of running to get to that players typically sit for a long time at. You can also design content that is close by and takes advantage of quick travel.

I think a game with a mixture of both would be fun. Creating a frontier environment might give the game a better feel for local communities. Especially if you're completely reliant on player ressurects and ports to get in and out.