Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bards are there.. Just a stretch goal.

@Zoeii- I agree, it sucks what's going on with PC gamer, but at this point there isn't much they can do.. Hopefully the focus is on finishing strong. Get through this week and the articles and go hard to finish line.

spronk

FPS noob
I am frustrated with PC Gamer. If what Brad says is true, they gave PC Gamer exclusive info and they are likely holding back on giving us more info until that article drops. It's a bad showing on PC Gamers part. Shame on them, this article is important for this Kickstarter.
I am genuinely curious who the fuck is out there that gets their gaming info from PC gamer magazine. I don't really understand most of the people here who want an oldschool DIKU and yet are in their 30s and 40s (I intellectually understand but its not a game I would ever play), but I can't even really begin to wrap my head around someone who is a PC gamer and has a print mag as their primary information source. Hell, until this thread I thought pc gamer had died long ago along with Computer Shopper and Nintendo Power.

oh computer shopper, I remember getting a hardon reading about all those PC parts...

3344549422_3993b1ffe7.jpg

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
So something that's still stuck in my craw is a comment from a few pages back about how all this project needs is 8,000 backers at $100 a pop.

I'm looking at the number of backers and it's like 1.5x the population of P99 on a weekend. So, in all seriousness, are there even enough people who want this game to get it made? I mean we've all been saying for years how if they would just do another game right it would be awesome and we'd be all over it, but how many of "us" are there? Is it like a serious case of false consensus where it's literally just 2,000 people thinking everyone feels the same way?

Any thoughts?
this is a stupid argument. of course there are more than just a few thousand people who want an MMO more in line with EQ than any modern MMO. the problem is those of us who want a game like that didn't think we'd have to pay out of pocket to have it made. if a company decided to make a MMO similar to EQ, it would have plenty of subs. not saying it would reach WoW like numbers, but hell EQ had almost a half a million players and that was before most people even knew what a MMO was. a modern day MMO modeled after EQ could easily get a million subs (if done right). i think a lot of people are still hoping for that game. and a lot of people are just hoping that pantheon can be that game. whether or not it will be is completely unknown at this point.

and i miss my '02 from FOH. '12 just doesn't have the same clout.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
The PC Gamer article won't make or break anything. Miracles can be done, but it's going to take a complete shift in how they perceive Kickstarter to work.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I am genuinely curious who the fuck is out there that gets their gaming info from PC gamer magazine. I don't really understand most of the people here who want an oldschool DIKU and yet are in their 30s and 40s (I intellectually understand but its not a game I would ever play), but I can't even really begin to wrap my head around someone who is a PC gamer and has a print mag as their primary information source. Hell, until this thread I thought pc gamer had died long ago along with Computer Shopper and Nintendo Power.

oh computer shopper, I remember getting a hardon reading about all those PC parts...

psst.. many periodicals have popular websites these days.

Nintendo Power did die.

Zoeii_sl

shitlord

It will be an internet article for one. Two, the magazine is very much alive, as EQN recenty got a cover story. Three, why concern yourself if you will never play it?

this is a stupid argument. of course there are more than just a few thousand people who want an MMO more in line with EQ than any modern MMO. the problem is those of us who want a game like that didn't think we'd have to pay out of pocket to have it made. if a company decided to make a MMO similar to EQ, it would have plenty of subs. not saying it would reach WoW like numbers, but hell EQ had almost a half a million players and that was before most people even knew what a MMO was. a modern day MMO modeled after EQ could easily get a million subs (if done right). i think a lot of people are still hoping for that game. and a lot of people are just hoping that pantheon can be that game. whether or not it will be is completely unknown at this point.

and i miss my '02 from FOH. '12 just doesn't have the same clout.
I would certainly hope that there are more than 1500 people out there that want an old school MMO experience today. I too have looked at the 1500 backers number for Pantheon and scratched my head. I mean come on. 1500? There are literally millions of MMORPG gamers out there right now, and Pantheon has gotten the interest of 1,500 people. Something just doesn't add up.

I almost wish there was an option on Kickstarter for people to show interest with out pledging an amount for those people that like the idea, but are on the fense about spending the money just yet. At least that way, we could see how many people even want this kind of game.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
its not the game concept people have an aversion to, its the execution thus far and the baggage associated with brad, which is becoming more relevant and believable by the day.

Kaljin

N00b
I am frustrated with PC Gamer. If what Brad says is true, they gave PC Gamer exclusive info and they are likely holding back on giving us more info until that article drops. It's a bad showing on PC Gamers part. Shame on them, this article is important for this Kickstarter.
I'm surprised you're frustrated over PC Gamer, it isn't exactly the epitome of great gaming mags. Nobody should ever be shocked by what that douchebag mag ever does or fails to live up to.

Spynx_sl

shitlord
here is what really sucks..... we need to get 810k... I just know that the 10k pledge is a master fucking troll waiting for the final day to bomb the total to 790k and is probably hoping for like 809.99k

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It doesn't really have to much to live up too. As long as there is some actual fleshed out details about the game it will be an improvement on what we have seen so far. Reality though it's probably more along the lines of

"Well our new game is like EQ but more badass and it's like Vangaurd but not, we have a Dark Knight who does Dark Knighty things and we have Light Knight who does Light Knighty things. Of course there's grouping and it's hard and Old Skool. We have graphics and things to fight."

I mean if it's more detailed than that then it will be a win for all of us as we might get a better idea of what he is trying to really accomplish, but I think we're better off not holding our collective breath.
i'm not sure how anyone can expect much more than that at this point

the game is in its infancy

Arctic_Slicer_sl

shitlord
here is what really sucks..... we need to get 810k... I just know that the 10k pledge is a master fucking troll waiting for the final day to bomb the total to 790k and is probably hoping for like 809.99k
If we get over $700,000; in the last days you'll see many of the true vanboi types upping their pledges to make sure the thing funds. It's almost impossible that the thing barely misses funding. The real danger is that is fails to get more than $500,000ish creating too large of a gap for the vanbois to save it.

Zoeii_sl

shitlord
I'm surprised you're frustrated over PC Gamer, it isn't exactly the epitome of great gaming mags. Nobody should ever be shocked by what that douchebag mag ever does or fails to live up to.
It's not the article in particular. It's the fact that Brad has said they gave them exclusive info. Info that could already be released and getting more backers.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I would certainly hope that there are more than 1500 people out there that want an old school MMO experience today. I too have looked at the 1500 backers number for Pantheon and scratched my head. I mean come on. 1500? There are literally millions of MMORPG gamers out there right now, and Pantheon has gotten the interest of 1,500 people. Something just doesn't add up.

I almost wish there was an option on Kickstarter for people to show interest with out pledging an amount for those people that like the idea, but are on the fense about spending the money just yet. At least that way, we could see how many people even want this kind of game.
I can somewhat follow this argument but not really. More than 1,500 people certainly would be excited to play a game with this type of concept. They might even pay to fund a game with this type of concept, but it's a very different thing to ask people to fund a concept itself. So many people tend to skip this point, we aren't being asked to fund Pantheon, not really. What we are being asked to do with this kickstarter is to fund Visionary Realms, Inc. so they can hire staff and set up a company and then try and build Pantheon. For me personally that might sound similar but they are miles apart from being the same thing.

The thing with the kickstarter even more so is not everyone knows Brad or EQ or even Vangaurd. Yes around here it's very well known and when you reach out to a MMO/Gaming/Nerdy community these people are the ones who truly have to be bought into the game and we give as a whole give a lot of leeway to Brad or really any developer with games of this mindset because we loved EQ style MMO's, he can't even get many of us his hardcore supporters to buy into really, we would be the ones out being evangelist spreading the word to more casual folks to buy into this idea, but when you offer very little to those who you want the most support from the interest just isn't going to be there.

Read over the pages upon pages of this thread, just look at how quickly new posts are added here. It is proof in itself that this is a very interesting topic for many people, otherwise this shit would be on page 2 days ago. Fucking I bet quite a few people would love a Pizza if I offered it to them but if I turned around and threw them a ball of dough, some marinara, and a cup of mozzarella, and said "there you go" everyone would look at me and say "What the fuck" which is basically what's happened here.