Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
In UO, I had a chest full of the heads of the women I murdered in my house. It was a LOT. Have I been able to do that in any subsequent game? No.
Well, not women's heads...but who didn't have a chest full of the heads of his enemies? When I finally got my tower, I put that shit up on my wall.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I haven't looked into it very deeply. Apparently, it's very flexible. Rust is a mmofps that uses uLink. It currently supports 200+ users on a single server. I believe the plan is for much more. An mmorpg does not need to generate as much traffic as an mmofps - especially for an EQ experience. So at minimum, 200 players per zone with the potential for more in an RPG.
Sounds like it could work out then.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Lol, I forgot that discussion. Someone else did it too, maybe Lost Ranger?
Yeah. My tower made people uneasy in UO.
tongue.png

jilena_sl

shitlord
I don't think anyone initially realized we were being brought in at the beginning of the process. I thought he had been WORKING on a game and had gotten as far as he could without help. And that the KS would show us what he'd been working on. And then people saw the KS and realized they weren't even out of the idea phase and yea, a lot of people felt...duped I guess?

My twitter woulda lit the effe up! I've loved Michael Keaton since the first Batman movie.
tongue.png
That's my feeling as well. If he had come right out and said "We just started work on this last week" and then threw up this shit that would be one thing. It's something else entirely when he says "We've been working on this since September" and it looks like they just started working on this last week. Either a.) he's lying and they haven't been prepping to kickstart this at all or b.) they are really fucking terrible at this.

Neither one is comforting.

Also, Michael Keaton is the best "modern" batman. By far.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm all about making graphical MUDs. Where the game world is incredibly small (2-4 zones) with only like 10-20 levels using all stock animations and art assets (because who can afford real artists?). I think that as long as the graphics aren't brutal that if you can make a fun game around them, I bet you could get 10-50 people playing your game and pay you 1-5$ a month to do so. Make the game world be able to hold 50-200 people at once and design it around that.

I wish I knew how to do all the technical network stuff. I can teach myself almost anything, and using the Unity Tool is probably fun to learn. The network/hosting part is probably very hard to learn or wing it.

Anyway, I'm willing to dip my toe into the water to even see if it's possible. PM me if you're actually interested in to see if it's something we can do on an uber-amateur level. I want to make a MUD again.
My biggest question in regards to this project are the coders. Does the team have good ones or at least one? I admittedly don't know who's considered good or bad in the industry.

Aeiouy_sl

shitlord
One of the parts of other funded KS projects I've noticed is the lower 'investment' fees being offered. Kingdom Come has cheaper options as did Pathfinder, and a few others posted on here. Probably the biggest reason some KS'ers get funded is the price is right. Who cares if the game isn't amazing if you only put in $20-25 into it? This game so far has offered some decent value but a lot of the options are not overwhelming. This KS was very poorly started but there's still a month left.
Yeah I think this is one of the strongest tier suggestion people have brought up. There needs to be an inexpensive tier to get the game. Perhaps they are skittish in offering too many low priced games because that is a potential negative for a bean counting publisher.

However getting people invested and just signed up for ks allows them to move up a tier. Many people have never used ks, so just encouraging them to sign up and pledge $20 for a launch day digital download puts them in play for more money.

If I was them I would add it today. Get those low end value users and then they decide "ah I want to beta so I will pay a little more."

Several people itt have discussed the need for total overall backers. A low tier with high value boosts those numbers. The $20 pledges don't magically put you over the top but it opens the door and gets people into the system.

My biggest question in regards to this project are the coders. Does the team have good ones or at least one? I admittedly don't know who's considered good or bad in the industry.
For me, the coders aren't a concern. They've all proven their mettle. For me, it's more the business/organization end. I just hope they can get that stuff right.

jilena_sl

shitlord
Still going to peddle the story of Smed as silent secret backer even though it's obvious Brad has just about nothing? Really think Smed would have signed off on nothing?
I don't think Smedley would have signed off on shit if it continues at the current rate. If people were just fucking retards though and threw down a few million on this bullshit I think he'd at least give it a glance.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Sounds like it could work out then.
Shroud of the Avatar is using Unity--and, as I said earlier, they are going to he "one giant world" route with seamless phasing/servers (Like WoW recently did.)...So in essence everyone plays on the same shard, but they are phased in as it becomes less crowded or based on a set of parameters guessing their need (Like shop owners are always phased in for everyone when in the town with their shop).

It's a pretty ambitious MMO system, that, as far as I know, only Blizzard has been able to do. If they can do it with unity, it will be a pretty epic proving of it's ability to make not just an MMO but a massive online infrastructure.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well, not women's heads...but who didn't have a chest full of the heads of his enemies? When I finally got my tower, I put that shit up on my wall.
They need to bring back the death penalty like in UO, where you ganked and then stand there as a ghost watching your body getting raped of gear.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
They should at least have a dedicated network/client-server/database-guy because thats the most complex programming task for an MMO (also good performance&stability is really important for a smooth gaming experience).

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Shroud of the Avatar is using Unity--and, as I said earlier, they are going to he "one giant world" route with seamless phasing/servers (Like WoW recently did.)...So in essence everyone plays on the same shard, but they are phased in as it becomes less crowded or based on a set of parameters guessing their need (Like shop owners are always phased in for everyone when in the town with their shop).

It's a pretty ambitious MMO system, that, as far as I know, only Blizzard has been able to do. If they can do it with unity, it will be a pretty epic proving of it's ability to make not just an MMO but a massive online infrastructure.
Interesting, I think that would make it the first MMO to be released utilizing Unity? The important thing is that if it works well we might see easily generated MMO's from all kinds of IP's.