Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Orsenfelt_sl

shitlord
I'm not sure why some of you *really* don't want any UI element that lists people near you who are LFG.
For me UI should be limited to things that your character would intuitively know OR things that can't be done well in 3D the world. For instance you can't properly create a 3D backpack that you can sort through so instead you use a UI and slots to represent it and I can't just sense how much mana I have available to my character so it's shown in UI.

Everything added that doesn't fit those descriptions takes away immersion for me. You wouldn't just intuitively know if someone wants to adventure with you, they'd have to be asked. Players are real grown ups who want to connect with people and accomplish something, they should use their words.

Flank_sl

shitlord
In that case there should not be any text-based chat because a chat window is a UI element that is not needed in a 3D world. Everyone has access to microphone's now, so you should have to chat verbally and only characters that are close to you can hear you.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
In that case there should not be any text-based chat because a chat window is a UI element that is not needed in a 3D world. Everyone has access to microphone's now, so you should have to chat verbally and only characters that are close to you can hear you.
F that, nothing kills immersion more than hearing ppl talk ...

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
Is anyone else getting an incredible sense of deja-vu with this? I swear to god I feel like I'm reading the early VG thread from the old boards. Hell, we're even getting 'WE'RE GOING TO HAVE A LOT OF CONTENT' already.

I can't wait for the early beta boards where the same jackasses argue that 45 minutes of travel time to get anywhere is the only possible way this could be a successful game.

Orsenfelt_sl

shitlord
It *is* needed to convey what your character intuitively understands but the player looking through the window doesn't,who said it. You can't guarantee every player has a mic, has surround sound or indeed is capable of talking/hearing.

Idothink chat distance should be limited though, maybe have it a learned ability of some kind with some classes getting it inate (Like Psionicsts in Vanguard where the lore gave them the 'mental ability' to communicate with each other in their own global chat) but I'm quite extreme, I also think you should have to learn a players name before you can see it above their head. If you're just a dude wandering by in a hood I shouldn't know who you are/your guild/your class/your level.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Haha actually my wife has said the same thing. Suddenly, Ogok, the bad ass Ogre warrior is now just Jeff, the accountant. Complete immersion killer.
I agree with your wife.

While I times I do enjoy voice , there are many times the last thing I fucking want to hear is a party chat line when I login at night.

Example, I've worked all day , helped put the kids to bed , finally sit down to my rig late at night with headphones on , many times I want to then just hear the music , sounds of the environment and not the usual of the chatty Cathy of the guild prattling on , the idiot who insists on using a desktop mic and lets us all hear the faint feedback , etc etc.

I've definitely come around over the years on using voice , and is enjoyable with the right group , but I cannot stand the you "have to be on vent" to play mentality.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Sup guys you wanna group? By the way my name is Jeff and I'm an accountant.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Is anyone else getting an incredible sense of deja-vu with this? I swear to god I feel like I'm reading the early VG thread from the old boards. Hell, we're even getting 'WE'RE GOING TO HAVE A LOT OF CONTENT' already.

I can't wait for the early beta boards where the same jackasses argue that 45 minutes of travel time to get anywhere is the only possible way this could be a successful game.
Yeah, and Brad encouraged one of the least knowledgable people on this entire site. A group finder isn't the first step to super casual. It's one aid to getting solid groups together. If you don't want to use it, then spam channels. Just like one best class for content. That's just lazy programming at this point.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I'm fairly old school in what I want from this game , but I honestly don't see why anyone would have a problem with a very simple group finder. A generic LFG tool that does zero porting , nor auto organizing. Just a more simplified way to get together in a party. You'd have to still chat plenty to figure out where to get and how to get there and so on.

I think some are having nightmares of the group finder a'la WoW and can't get past how it would be different.

If there is ZERO cross server anything (I'm 100% dead set against any of that ) and no porting tool , nor anything auto organizing , it becomes simply a slightly more efficient way to get together than spamming normal chat. Throw in a set server that is the same folks , you are also back to reputations mattering more and likely to recognize other folks names and so on.

This of course depends on Brad making sure it never goes past that down the road of a dungeon finder than then auto picks and ports and so on.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I'm fairly old school in what I want from this game , but I honestly don't see why anyone would have a problem with a very simple group finder. A generic LFG tool that does zero porting , nor auto organizing. Just a more simplified way to get together in a party. You'd have to still chat plenty to figure out where to get and how to get there and so on.

I think some are having nightmares of the group finder a'la WoW and can't get past how it would be different.

If there is ZERO cross server anything (I'm 100% dead set against any of that ) and no porting tool , nor anything auto organizing , it becomes simply a slightly more efficient way to get together than spamming normal chat. Throw in a set server that is the same folks , you are also back to reputations mattering more and likely to recognize other folks names and so on.

This of course depends on Brad making sure it never goes past that down the road of a dungeon finder than then auto picks and ports and so on.
Seconded. I don't mind LFG tools, I just don't like the idea of sitting in queues and magically popping into a dungeon once the group is full. But yeah, no issues with some UI help.

Khane

Got something right about marriage

That's because you possess an ability known as critical thinking.

Well I think there is opportunity to yet improve upon the Looking For Group tool. I'd love the ability to "thumbs-up / down" a player, write a small note "great tank!", "lousy healer but good dps", etc. Have the tool start building metrics about how you interact with other players which could be used for all sorts of things. BTW yes I agree absolutely NO porting, etc...

I also enjoyed Rift's Open-Grouping system. You could either enable or disable it and it made it very easy to group up with others while out adventuring, especially for Rift's. It allowed us to properly tank and heal when needed, and it lead to creating new private groups for rifts and dungeons if we worked so well together. In some cases it lead to new friends. It was a very natural way to find and create groups.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I think there should be a LFG/party finder system which acts as a people matcher. It organises people based on what they want to do, what level they are, what role(s) they can fill, where they are, etc. People who want to form groups can use this tool to communicate and group up.

That way this system can be used for forming groups for anything. Want to find a second person to XP grind with? Use the LFG tool!

I don't think having chat channels that everyone spams in is the way to go.

Aleatha

Silver Knight of the Realm
Is a LFG tool that much different from being able to type /who all 30 35 lfg? I really don't see the problem as long as it doesn't auto build a group for you and stick you together with randoms.