Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You sure? Didn't he say in that interview that he went to MS with literally napkin ideas and a reputation and got funded. Makes it sound like him and the guy he mentioned had nothing and everything after was from MS money.
Brad said he used his own money to start Sigil

signati_sl

shitlord
If Pantheon doesn't get funded well, he can always do voice overs for Nicholas Cage. I can not unhear that. Roughly 15 years of memories altered by one comment from my ol' lady.

krysanth

Golden Knight of the Realm
This may be true and we're to negative but judging by that thread on MMO-champ he isn't getting better responses elsewhere. In fact that thread reads much like this one with a mix of people some who just hate Brad based on his past and some who think the game sounds cool. Then they go to the kickstarter and change there minds to match that of the first group.
I'm 100% with you. I'm not funding someones company to make a game. Bring me some shit and I'll buy it, not finance your company...unless im getting stock or some shit. Fail!

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
From the kickstarter forums:

"The private site is the best way to advertise for the Kickstarter" and same poster , "SOE was to blame for the mess that happened with Vanguard , not Brad".

I almost want to kick in 15/month on the private site to see the "Champion Forums" , it really would be a study in 1% sane people posting along with 99% delusional idiots.

Kenadul

Golden Knight of the Realm
While I'm sure Microsoft financed much of Vanguard, I think the monies spent on Sigil itself came from Aradude.

I'm sure the guy never made massive coin anyway. Maybe for a 7 or 8 year period he made 200k/year? If it was even that high, it's not millionaire money, especially in SoCal. It's not like he sees Royalties from EQ or anything.

Realistically, the guy probably has a big fat mortgage like the rest of us.
This seems pretty accurate. He was hired by Smed with Clover to create EQ while working at a nursery and was probably paid standard lead designer/producer rates. Once they spun off to create Verant he was made president and was probably in between 100-200k. It probably wasn't until EQ took off and became a huge success that he got near 200k. There may have been bonuses related to EQ that brought in a bit more but he funded Sigil for 9 months on his own before MS showed up and we know the rest from there. Jacobs and Garriott both owned their own companies that they sold to EA for massive coin, brad was hired by Smed who himself has always been a Sony employee and not the owner of the company, the financial differences there are huge. If he had owned and created Verant and owned the EQ rights it would be a much different story.

iannis

Musty Nester
From the kickstarter forums:

"The private site is the best way to advertise for the Kickstarter" and same poster , "SOE was to blame for the mess that happened with Vanguard , not Brad".

I almost want to kick in 15/month on the private site to see the "Champion Forums" , it really would be a study in 1% sane people posting along with 99% delusional idiots.
I think you wildly overestimate the ratio of sane Chaempoins eeey LaDY!

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
This seems pretty accurate. He was hired by Smed with Clover to create EQ while working at a nursery and was probably paid standard lead designer/producer rates. Once they spun off to create Verant he was made president and was probably in between 100-200k. It probably wasn't until EQ took off and became a huge success that he got near 200k. There may have been bonuses related to EQ that brought in a bit more but he funded Sigil for 9 months on his own before MS showed up and we know the rest from there. Jacobs and Garriott both owned their own companies that they sold to EA for massive coin, brad was hired by Smed who himself has always been a Sony employee and not the owner of the company, the financial differences there are huge. If he had owned and created Verant and owned the EQ rights it would be a much different story.
brad should use his other "connections" to fund this game. ever see the movie "blow"? george jung would have had this shit funded already!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
About those comments from Brad stating he can be the CEO of a gaming company. He is delusional, he can't and he's proved it a second time with this KS campaign. He thinks he has a mind for business because people were willing to throw money at his second idea after his first idea proved so successful. He's still as arrogant as he's ever been and I'm surprised there hasn't been any other discussion about those comments here. I figured the piranhas would have swarmed at those statements. I think he's full of shit about learning from his past mistakes now. I was hopeful before, now I am convinced this is Vanguard 2.0.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Was this you, Brad?

On Wednesday night, law enforcement officials contacted Kickstarter and alerted us that hackers had sought and gained unauthorized access to some of our customers' data. Upon learning this, we immediately closed the security breach and began strengthening security measures throughout the Kickstarter system.

No credit card data of any kind was accessed by hackers. There is no evidence of unauthorized activity of any kind on your account.

While no credit card data was accessed, some information about our customers was. Accessed information included usernames, email addresses, mailing addresses, phone numbers, and encrypted passwords. Actual passwords were not revealed, however it is possible for a malicious person with enough computing power to guess and crack an encrypted password, particularly a weak or obvious one.

As a precaution, we strongly recommend that you change the password of your Kickstarter account, and other accounts where you use this password.

To change your password, log in to your account at Kickstarter.com and look for the banner at the top of the page to create a new, secure password. We recommend you do the same on other sites where you use this password. For additional help with password security, we recommend tools like 1Password and LastPass.

We?re incredibly sorry that this happened. We set a very high bar for how we serve our community, and this incident is frustrating and upsetting. We have since improved our security procedures and systems in numerous ways, and we will continue to do so in the weeks and months to come. We are working closely with law enforcement, and we are doing everything in our power to prevent this from happening again.

Kickstarter is a vibrant community like no other, and we can?t thank you enough for being a part of it. Please let us know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns. You can reach us at[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */.

Thank you,

Yancey Strickler
Kickstarter CEO

Itzena_sl

shitlord
I have my colon surgery March 07,2014 I be in hospital 10 days. There pulling my colon and lymph nodes getting a stoma.
Then 4-5 weeks of rest then 6 months of chemo on the Xeloda the chemo pill 2 weeks on it, 1 week rest, then 2 weeks on it again , week rest for 6 months then hopefully I be cured after that.
If they're surgically removing your butthole how will you be able to talk out of it?

Arctic_Slicer_sl

shitlord
10k's all gone again, seems legit.
"Magician", claims that the 2nd 10k pledge that appeared a couple of days ago is his. He is one of the champion members on the new forums; he's a very big cheer leader of Brad and often says "go Aradune". Either he is full of shit or it's a legitimate 10k pledge. Have no clue about the most recent one though.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
So what did Brad say that made people jump ship yesterday where it wound up with another negative number ?

Less than 7 days to make what it barely could make in the previous 32, and that accounts for the opening surge. On top of that, no more 10k slots as well.

TragedyAnn_sl

shitlord
10k's all gone again, seems legit.
How can you tell? My first thought is "troll pledges" bc people see it's not even close and wanna feel like a big dawg.
But people still believe. That's cool. I wish I had...THAT...
from KS:

Xandarra about 1 hour ago
The last 10k pledge to make up for all the people dropping out yesterday.

Portlis about 4 hours ago
66.6k per day for 6 days. We can dooooeeeeet!

And then they dog-pile all the non-believers.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
loader-horiz-large.gif

Having tried Wildstar this weekend and seeing how that game is pretty much the antithesis of old school... Did I see someone reference a generic game design thread here? To which Lithose's excellent analysis was copied? Because those posts are like nuggets of gold in a pile of shit in this thread. There used to be great stuff over at fohguild.org as well, now lost, but doesn't it seem like there ought to be a more analytical thread here? Of course the problem is that the thread would go like this: Lithose makes a great, nuanced, analysis, someone flips out over a perceived condemnation of EQ's magic, someone else calls the flipper a gay faggot and the actual analysis is again buried in shit. Entertaining shit, perhaps, but shit nonetheless.