Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Its the same neckbeard crowd all laden with thousands of post count on an evil crusade to stop Brad. So funny. Carry on you fat fucks
o9QQOV8.jpg

Such a strange feeling of satisfaction watching your anger.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Its the same neckbeard crowd all laden with thousands of post count on an evil crusade to stop Brad. So funny. Carry on you fat fucks
vazdeline why do you think the KS didn't get funded, do you think it was just very poorly executed with no substance behind it, was it the nay sayers or a bit of both ?

Rerolled

The backers won't let this fail
Rerolled

Your statement is speculation where mine is actually a plausible idea.

Currently, if the current backers add an additional $170 to their pledges, Pantheon would meet the funding goal. That also does not include the hype created towards the end of the Kickstarter, where additional funding AND backers will inevitably come.

This will get funded.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Pretty sure none of us here need to "stop Brad". He's already shown to be extremely adept at fucking things up all on his lonesome.

iannis

Musty Nester
It was kinda like KingsQuest online, graphics wise.

M59 is probably the first true graphic MMO. But Compuserve had multiplayer (non-doors, concurrent user in real time) graphic games as well. Sort of inspired by LLL. I remember when I was 12 years old or so I made a little dude and wandered around this beach town... and then I got lost down in a sewer pipe.. and then my free hour ran out. And back then that shit was like $5 per hour. I woulda taken a beating.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
why do you assume it would be a small niche market? everquest had over 500,000 players at its peak before 95% of the gaming world knew what a MMO was. if a game made in the mold of EQ could maintain a half million players or so today, that would be considered a gigantic success, and not niche at all.
I think it's pretty silly to assume that everyone who played EQ would play and subscribe to a similar game if it was made 3 years from now. Most of those people have moved on and even for those that say they would play a game like that, what's the average playtime these days for an MMORPG? 2-3 months? I think if this game ever does come out, the factors of it being small (both in budget and players) is going to turn people off. I think the fact that it doesn't bring anything 'new' to the table is going to get old. At that point, all you have is an game with a small sub base, with no established IP to hook gamers in a sea of MMORPGS and it's only unique factor is it's 'harder'.

Arctic_Slicer_sl

shitlord
I think it's pretty silly to assume that everyone who played EQ would play and subscribe to a similar game if it was made 3 years from now. Most of those people have moved on and even for those that say they would play a game like that, what's the average playtime these days for an MMORPG? 2-3 months? I think if this game ever does come out, the factors of it being small (both in budget and players) is going to turn people off. I think the fact that it doesn't bring anything 'new' to the table is going to get old. At that point, all you have is an game with a small sub base, with no established IP to hook gamers in a sea of MMORPGS and it's only unique factor is it's 'harder'.
Realistically Pantheon would only need 10% of that to be profitable; anything beyond that would be gravy. The fact that "it's harder" is exactly the appeal; are there currently any PvE games out there right now that have harsh death penalties and "forced grouping"? The game is intended to fill a niche that is not currently being filled.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
vazdeline why do you think the KS didn't get funded, do you think it was just very poorly executed with no substance behind it, was it the nay sayers or a bit of both ?

Rerolled

Rerolled
Judging from his post, it looks like he's loading up the "trolls were on a mission to ruin this!" excuse.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Haha, I had forgotten that Vaz was the fuckwit who pulled out that "if everyone just more than doubles their pledge" crap.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Realistically Pantheon would only need 10% of that to be profitable; anything beyond that would be gravy. The fact that "it's harder" is exactly the appeal; are there currently any PvE games out there right now that have harsh death penalties and "forced grouping"? The game is intended to fill a niche that is not currently being filled.
It's still an assumption that this could even get 50,000 subs (on a consistent basis no less). I think in many ways the MMORPG market as a whole is probably tapped out, there is way too much competition out there. There are plenty of games out there with harsher dynamics, most of them older games not to mention all the emulators out there, it's just that nobody wants to play those either.

The more I think about it, I think half the interest in this isn't in trying to bring back Everquest. They just want Vanguard again without the drama, without the horrible launch, etc.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So are they at the exact same spot or are they just not updating this thing? Such fail.

RLUn2Hm.png

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
So are they at the exact same spot or are they just not updating this thing? Such fail.

RLUn2Hm.png
I'm pretty sure that's not a live counter. It's dependent on how fast they update it. They haven't really updated the site in general. I remember reading in the KS comments a few days ago that one of the devs was working on maps, see those anywhere? In fact, when they say they've been 'working' on something, I haven't seen any results of that (either on the KS or on their site).

Carl_sl

shitlord
It's still an assumption that this could even get 50,000 subs (on a consistent basis no less). I think in many ways the MMORPG market as a whole is probably tapped out, there is way too much competition out there. There are plenty of games out there with harsher dynamics, most of them older games not to mention all the emulators out there, it's just that nobody wants to play those either.

The more I think about it, I think half the interest in this isn't in trying to bring back Everquest. They just want Vanguard again without the drama, without the horrible launch, etc.
I do want vanguard again, vanguard was awesome. The dungeons the zones, the long quests. All of it. Just make it good this time, or well, whichever is grammatically correct.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It will never happen. The amount over money tossed down that hole is staggering, it went so far off the rails and over budget. There are tons of fantasy style MMOs out there running on a much tighter budget or large scale IP projects forthcoming (and likely doomed to failure), so reaching an audience is tough. No big money MMO will ever launch without being set up as a WoW killer, which flies in the face of what all of the nostalgia/Brownguard freaks want. Finally, if this whole sordid affair proves anything, Brad can't fool anyone but the most dedicated basement dwelling kool aid drinkers at this point.

The MMO genre essentially died the day WoW mainstreamed it. The barrage of F2P ones nailed the coffin shut. This industry has to burn completely to the ground before it can be rebuilt again at all, kind of like the Shooter genre was.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think EQN is the last hope for this genre for a while as a gamer. Its trying something actually new that has never been done before and its done by a studio that can do an AAA title.

But this genre is not going away. Its making too much money, even supposed flops like SWTOR are rakng in hundreds of millions of dollars per year. We have TESO coming which will sell big and probably prosper well depending on how they handle the PvP and the PvE end game....

Also The Division is coming and its trying something new. If its done right that might change the face of mmos. 3RD person shooter RPG? count me in! I know Defiance tried it but it was pretty bland.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I'm shocked that they've gotten $118k.
The only thing I worry for them is their projected earnings. Since they are going sub based, how long is it until someone decides their $15 a month is much better used elsewhere. I'm assuming they are also taking their one-time donations as well but this game is going to struggle to overcome being an afterthought. Given what I know and have seen about Pantheon, I would rather see EQClassic throw a KS or donation site up and let us raise enough to pay 3-4 guys a salary to make that happen. Pantheon is looking to bring a lot elements from the past and that sounds great but I think what is more largely miss is the world it existed in. I don't want the mechanics of EQ back, I want EQ back. I really believe if someone could do something with the graphics as others have posted on this board, and essentially leave everything else in tact, I would give some serious money to that project. Understandingly EQ is not owned by anyone interested to do this... That is why I'm with others that have stated EQN is the next hope for the genre. Going back in time with a new game is just going to draw unfair comparisons and create unreachable expectations. We have to hope that lightning can strike twice and something new can create the magic again.