Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I know right? Forget the millions of people who are enjoying themselves. If Dumar isn't having a good time we should just pull the plug on the whole industry.
rolleyes.png
so because the millions of brain dead, unwashed masses are enjoying themselves that means that those of us with an IQ over 50 aren't allowed to have one fucking game that caters to us?

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Is there compelling evidence that EQ was a result of Brad really having some vision? Or is it more like lots of people were involved and smart+lucky decisions got made by all and the stars aligned for a great game, then Brad managed to take credit for it single handedly. Then, he used his unearned reputation to lead, mismanage, and abandon one project, disappear for a while, then do it over again?

Someone with some savant-like vision of gaming does not go on to completely mismanage two subsequent projects worse than your average homeless guy would. What's more likely is that he played a poker game, got a lucky hand and won big, and suddenly thought he was a good poker player.

But it turns out he's just some nobody dude who should be designing building textures for a living.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the story goes that Brad was an oldschool mudder who wanted to take it to the next level and thats why the game had such a big learning curve. then again, he was just using ideas that were already around for years and he put his name on the finished product as his "vision". i have no problem giving brad credit for EQ though he deserves it as much as lucas did for star wars. and like lucas when brad was the man in charge and not working with a bunch of amazing other people both show how little they actually knew about their own product/genre.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Didn't the world and lore for EQ come from either Trost or Clover's (I forget which) D&D campaign? If that is true and the fact that most of EQ's systems were 'borrowed' from MUDs it would seem to me that Brad is responsible for precious little when it comes to EQ.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
so because the millions of brain dead, unwashed masses are enjoying themselves that means that those of us with an IQ over 50 aren't allowed to have one fucking game that caters to us?
Haha, I love the insinuation that only smart people played EQ.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Is there compelling evidence that EQ was a result of Brad really having some vision? Or is it more like lots of people were involved and smart+lucky decisions got made by all and the stars aligned for a great game, then Brad managed to take credit for it single handedly. Then, he used his unearned reputation to lead, mismanage, and abandon one project, disappear for a while, then do it over again?

Someone with some savant-like vision of gaming does not go on to completely mismanage two subsequent projects worse than your average homeless guy would. What's more likely is that he played a poker game, got a lucky hand and won big, and suddenly thought he was a good poker player.
He's exactly the same as John Romero, he rode the backs of others. It's too bad this didn't fund, or there wasn't another Ion Storm. I was looking forward to Pantheon being this decade's version of Daikatana.

Outside of pining for UO or old school, what exactly do you want, Dumar? I want tech to evolve and the genre to move forward, it almost sounds like you want it to go backwards.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Haha, I love the insinuation that only smart people played EQ.
I remember feeling like a real genius while I stayed awake for 36 straight hours camping Raster of Guk. I have never felt smarter.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I want tech to evolve and the genre to move forward, it almost sounds like you want it to go backwards.
I'm sure this is a great car and all:

But give me one of these any day. Because this shit is FUN to drive!

I've heard this a thousand times, "lets advance the genre, we need to move forward with new technology" and on and on and on. Why can't we worry less about advancing the genre and just get someone to make a games thats, /SHOCK, fun!

iannis

Musty Nester
Over engineered bullshit

Hey fuckstains, stop making tire pressure sensors. If i'm too fucking stupid to kick my tires every so often, YOU ARE NOT MAKING ME ANY SMARTER.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The only thing this genre has advanced is how they nickle and dime every penny out of your wallets on the mere promise of staying up to date with the it-crowd.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Here is my overall issue with all this.. I don't think this started like a scam. I think what happen was Brad probably paid himself the largest part of the pie. The team has probably figured out how much total they were paid and compared that to the total number on the site. Which would raise questions if that total number was too small compared to the 160k. If this is the case, and I think its the most likely scenario.. Don't tell me this game is your dream if you're not willing to take less to at least push this project another month to finish the prototype, which by all accounts needed at least a month. He keeps saying he going to sell stuff to keep the dream alive. How about sell that vacation home? Is that a fair thing to ask? I don't know, but I get the vibe he took too much for himself to sustain a certain quality of life the rest of his team isn't enjoying. The dream of this game was stopped by him so he could pay himself. The fanbois need to realize that.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Over engineered bullshit

Hey fuckstains, stop making tire pressure sensors. If i'm too fucking stupid to kick my tires every so often, YOU ARE NOT MAKING ME ANY SMARTER.
Unless you are a truck driver, if you kick tires you are stupid.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I think it's just a question of ego, and Brad didn't learn anything from past mistakes.

He went on kickstarter and expected people to give him money just because he's Brad MacQuaid.

I'm sure he's sitting at home still wondering why people are not lining up to give him tens of millions to make another game, he's Brad MacQuaid after all, a gaming god, he made Q1.

It's kinda sad and pathetic all at once. In the end, he's probably gonna blame everyone else for the failure of Pantheon like he did for Vanguard...he's certainly blameless again.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Will KTAM continue to cover this game now that it is in the garbage? Just curious if we can get another night of entertainment on their radio show?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Will RTAM continue to cover this game now that it is in the garbage? Just curious if we can get another night of entertainment on their radio show?
Oh yea. Beck is loving the numbers I'm sure. Can't see why they wouldn't.

It's not over...