Pappy

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Weller 12 is just Pappys but not quite good enough to get there. Blantons is good as well. I want to try some Garrison Brothers Cowboy.

I have tried the 20 year but according to Julian Van Winkle, he prefers the 15 year. I have a friend who lives in KY and knows the Van Winkle family.

If he likes Irish, get him a bottle of Midleton Very Rare, its pretty good too.

Honestly I think Weller 12 is way better than Old Rip Van Winkle 10 (there's no such thing as Pappy 10! to the poster below you! Yes, I know! But there aint no Pappy on the lable!) Most things I've read agree the 15 year Pappy is the best.

----

Has anyone tried Louis XIII? It's $3000 a bottle, or in restaurants usually $200 per pour. Insanely delicious.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Honestly I think Weller 12 is way better than Old Rip Van Winkle 10 (there's no such thing as Pappy 10! to the poster below you! Yes, I know! But there aint no Pappy on the lable!) Most things I've read agree the 15 year Pappy is the best.

----

Has anyone tried Louis XIII? It's $3000 a bottle, or in restaurants usually $200 per pour. Insanely delicious.

Everyone knows Old Rip is Pappy 10, lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
B15156EB-EE35-4ABB-A482-C59E10C9FFF3.jpeg

A “very” lazy photo of half my stash.

Also, a pic from our flight and a couple I picked up in a raffle.

904F794B-DF45-4DCA-B968-475082D51181.jpeg

23CFBC3E-F84C-42B6-8AF9-75092AB05E3D.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
I keep looking for Weller. Everyone knows it's almost pappy so it's never in stock

For a decent and very cheap bourbon, check out Old Tub. My go to for trying new mixed drinks.

I've tried to become a scotch snob. I prefer Lagavulin to Laphroaig. What turns most off from these isn't the smoke or "moss", its the iodine. I've never given someone a taste for the first time, and then ask after if it reminds them of a bandaid and have them say no. I prefer Oban, which is on the other extreme end as far as scotch

Lately its been mostly rye, basil haden dark rye is amazing, but can't say I've found one I dont like.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Buy him a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. It's the best $60 you can spend on booze and the past 3 examples have been superb, albeit markedly different. I drink it almost exclusively now after years of "experimenting" with everything from Pappy, Poor Man's Pappy, basically every bourbon, and a ton of different scotches. I shudder to think how much money has been blown in the past 5 years. The Elijah Craig BP tastes great, is cheap and mostly available. Makes a great sipping bourbon.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
If you want some good bourbon that's not allocated or expensive AF, here's a short list of my fav's:
  1. Booker's
  2. Maker's Mark - 46
  3. Michter's - American
  4. Woodford Reserve - Double Oak
  5. Basil Hayden's
  6. Noah's Mill

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Buy him a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. It's the best $60 you can spend on booze and the past 3 examples have been superb, albeit markedly different. I drink it almost exclusively now after years of "experimenting" with everything from Pappy, Poor Man's Pappy, basically every bourbon, and a ton of different scotches. I shudder to think how much money has been blown in the past 5 years. The Elijah Craig BP tastes great, is cheap and mostly available. Makes a great sipping bourbon.
Damn you and your widely available ecbp you okie son of a bitch! Seriously the last time I’ve seen it was when I was up in Oklahoma for a wedding 2 years ago. I’d drink that every day of it was available around here. Best value in bourbon by a mile.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Man, it's all so crazy. Years ago I could walk into the grocery store or my liquor store, and buy all the Colonel E H Taylor Rye, Small Batch Bourbon, or Single Barrel Bourbon I wanted. The rye was insanely good. Like it was stacked as far back as the liquor shelf went. And now I haven't seen it in probably 3 years. Eagle Rare filled the shelf, now I can find it at one grocery store if I get lucky, but haven't seen a bottle there in months. Weller Special Reserve you can find at times, but there's nothing remotely special about it. The other Wellers never even get put on the shelf, the owner hides for his friends. Stagg Jr used to be everywhere, haven't seen it in years. Bookers was everywhere, haven't seen it in years.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man, it's all so crazy. Years ago I could walk into the grocery store or my liquor store, and buy all the Colonel E H Taylor Rye, Small Batch Bourbon, or Single Barrel Bourbon I wanted. The rye was insanely good. Like it was stacked as far back as the liquor shelf went. And now I haven't seen it in probably 3 years. Eagle Rare filled the shelf, now I can find it at one grocery store if I get lucky, but haven't seen a bottle there in months. Weller Special Reserve you can find at times, but there's nothing remotely special about it. The other Wellers never even get put on the shelf, the owner hides for his friends. Stagg Jr used to be everywhere, haven't seen it in years. Bookers was everywhere, haven't seen it in years.
The entire Buffalo trace line has become painfully over rated. People are sucking dicks to buy weller 12 while makers mark cask strength beats the pants off of anything in the standard weller line up.
Thankfully people still turn up their nose at wild turkey. Both rye (101 or rare breed) and bourbon are fantastic.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Damn you and your widely available ecbp you okie son of a bitch! Seriously the last time I’ve seen it was when I was up in Oklahoma for a wedding 2 years ago. I’d drink that every day of it was available around here. Best value in bourbon by a mile.
Ya bro, it's kinda crazy how "available it is here" (at a few liquor stores). Walked in a few weeks ago and snagged not 1 but 2 bottles of the A121. Really great! I think I prefer the C920 I snagged last fall (managed two bottles of that too), but it's a great proof. I try to buy 2 bottles. One for immediate enjoyment and the other to save. I've got a little barrel proof treasure trove in my office.

Whenever I'm down in Fort Worth or Austin, it's impossible to find (a long with any other good whiskey I feel like).

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
13 year rye is bis pappy. Change my mind.

Edit - if he likes ryes Boss Hog by WhistlePig is also very good (But will likely cost you near $500). Currently drinking the 13 year rye finished in port barrels. It's delicious.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
13 year rye is bis pappy. Change my mind.

Edit - if he likes ryes Boss Hog by WhistlePig is also very good (But will likely cost you near $500). Currently drinking the 13 year rye finished in port barrels. It's delicious.

Did you just call a bourbon "best in slot"....Maybe a short break before TBC?

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
The entire Buffalo trace line has become painfully over rated. People are sucking dicks to buy weller 12 while makers mark cask strength beats the pants off of anything in the standard weller line up.
Thankfully people still turn up their nose at wild turkey. Both rye (101 or rare breed) and bourbon are fantastic.
Wild Turkey 101 is my current cheap choice.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Blends Resume
No problem with finding it in SC, just dm if wanna talk.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Fucking starts with toilet paper ( have a bidet so not terribly wasting TP.), then video cards, PS5's, Xbox's, don't fuck with my Bourbon!!!! You'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands.

• 1Like

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone ever tried Mellow Corn? Its supposedly some bottom shelf stuff thats really good. I've looked in three states, never seen it anywhere.

Yeah, I have about a half a bottle left. It’s not very good. I can send you a sample if you want. I would rather drink Evan Williams white label 10 times out of 10.

• 1Worf