Paragon, Epic Games(Unreal) MOBA, PC/PS4

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Last thread for today's PSX reveals.

They've been teasing about it for a week or so, but we finally get some actual meat. From the website:

"Paragon is the MOBA from Epic Games that puts you in the fight with explosive action, direct third-person control, and deep strategic choice.
Paragon is coming to PC and PlayStation 4, with paid Early Access in Spring 2016 and Open Beta in Summer 2016.
5v5. Three lanes. Jungles. Minions. Towers. Cores. Experience the classic elements of a MOBA from a whole new perspective in Paragon."

It's a 3rd person MOBA with a lot of typical elements, instead of say Overwatch which is more of a FPS or a lot of the other MOBAs that have a lot of variations(Gigantic, Paladins). Basically, think Smite, but with crazy realistic graphics. You can register for beta which starts early 2016 atPlay Paragon

Reveal Trailer:

Gameplay Trailer(which looks the same as the reveal one which looked like CGI but is just in engine stuff:

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
This should've been a mode in the next Unreal Tournament, not a standalone title.

It looks VERY pretty, I give it that, but as any competitive game you need a minimum amount of people for matchmaking to work and you want the least amount of obstacles possible.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
find it odd they say PC and PS4 but nothing about X Box 1.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Xbox 1 is basically DOA right now.

Maybe if they sell enough this Christmas, it'll make a comeback.

Really, the gaming world right now is almost exclusively divided between PS4 and PC this gen.

Sulrn

Deuces
Short of an entire rehaul of their gaming/market strategy from the top down I don't see Xbox 1 going anywhere. Regardless of any exclusives or holiday box sales.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
find it odd they say PC and PS4 but nothing about X Box 1.
Probably Sony bought the exclusivity for consoles but it wasn't worth buying a full exclusivity or whatever.

Game looks good, but will need to see the gameplay and stuff.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Looks like the next wave of invites have gone out for their test this weekend. Once you're in, you get invited to all future online tests.

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
I signed up for the Beta - should be fun. WTB access if anyone wants to share.

Eonan

Doer of Things
I could have sworn I signed up for the beta for this, but guess I didn't. I really enjoy Smite (First person MOBA) and am glad to see that area of the genre expanding.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Getting in early alpha on a moba kinda sucks though, low hero count and stuff like matchmaking not working properly/not having ratings means the games are complete garbage, so not in a hurry to get in the game.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Played 3 co-op games so far and seems pretty fun; movement speed abit slow but they said they are adding 10% next patch. Card system is a nice mix of gear and upgrades basically. Not sure I'd leave Smite for it but we will see how the development goes.

I like my mages and since its abit limited in choices I went the Howitzer and have been destroying co-op (so hard I know!) but when I get back this afternoon will try the pvp. Definitely nice graphics and haven't had any bugs or crashes/lag issues yet. Wish they showed damage done in stats though wtf~!

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Anyone playing in alpha this weekend? They made a few improvements like key mapping which is a huge difference as well as movement speed.

To early to tell but its growing on me, definitely no Smite but with a long development infront of it, has some potential.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Dumb question: What's the difference between a third person MOBA and a third person shooter?

The gameplay here looks a lot like ME'3s multiplayer which was awesome.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Camera distance? I always thought Smite was closer to WoW's view distance and playstyle (3rd-person WASD) than a 3rd person shooter thing.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Dumb question: What's the difference between a third person MOBA and a third person shooter?

The gameplay here looks a lot like ME'3s multiplayer which was awesome.
Kinda depends on the game mechanics really, but like if you compare Smite to ME, it's slower, aiming is massively assisted(as in you only really kinda target stuff to target them), in most cases the skills are more important than the basic attacks which are generic and boring with no reloading or any fancy stuff(it's moba autoattacks basically), the level/items/character stats define the power levels a lot more than any sort of aiming skill(there's still skill involved, but a lot is teamwork skill, how to play as a team, target focusing, positionning, this kind of shit). Not gonna account for the fact Smite has no verticality since Paragon does and it's not super relevant.

This game looks a LOT better than most mobas so the fact it's a moba might not be super apparent at first view, but I assume it plays a lot differently than what you'd expect. Haven't played it yet though so might be wrong but assuming it's what I'd expect, your comparison is kinda like comparing Diablo and Dota. They're both top down(kinda), you control one char with skills and items, but ultimately, they're insanely different games.