Parent Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah he does that everyday haha. The funniest was Thursday. He fell asleep in my arms while gaming and slept 5 or 6 hours. I put him down in the crib and he unleashed a fart pent up for 5 hours. So loud it woke up him, my wife, and the dog

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Damn these lip and tongue "exercises" suck so fucking much. Basically we have to lift the lip or tongue and rub the lasered areas 4-5x per day for 2-3 weeks to prevent them from just healing up and reattaching. I can't imagine it feels all that great and he sure lets us know. Fussing because he's hungry is one thing but this crying and screaming is brutal to hear from him. Especially the tongue tie laser. It's like he's being tortured and gagging. It's awful. :\
Thankfully with some baby orajel a few seconds after we're done rubbing he starts to calm down.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So my youngest is basically potty trained now. She holds it in until she takes these enormous, man-sized shits, but she goes. Outside of a random accident it has been weeks since she went in her pull up. I am kind of excited about that.

...except for my middle girl. She regressed and started shitting in her pullup at night. She's 4, it is so weird, and super gross. I don't really know what to do. I tried talking to her about it but she just says kid stuff like "I have to" or "i can't stop myself". Which I would think is a sign that hey, maybe something is wrong. But she does occasionally go on the toilet. And she does go on the toilet at school. And she never has an accident in her actual underwear. She waits until late at night and goes in a pullup. The only idea I had was to just take the pullups away completely, but I am not sure I want to deal with the mess/outcome of that. And I'm not sure she's ready, she wakes up dry almost every morning... idk. It is a weird situation and it is hard not to think of it as she's doing this as some kind of power play.

iannis

Musty Nester
It does kinda sound like a power play. Or a lazy play.

If she's doing it at night she just doesn't want to be bothered to get up, go to the bathroom, go through all the rigamarole of pulling her pants down, hopping up on the throne...

so much easier to just crap your pants. I'm with your girl. She's a smart one.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
My 3 month old son is still not sleeping. Cluster feeding all the time. He's getting big. He wakes up screaming wakes everyone up with a giant fact giggles and goes back to sleep.

Dude is starting to roll around already on his back. He was doing tummy to back at 2 months and now can roll on his side from his back by kicking.

He never wants to be horizontal. He's Conant trying to stand up in your arms.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So my youngest is basically potty trained now. She holds it in until she takes these enormous, man-sized shits, but she goes. Outside of a random accident it has been weeks since she went in her pull up. I am kind of excited about that.

...except for my middle girl. She regressed and started shitting in her pullup at night. She's 4, it is so weird, and super gross. I don't really know what to do. I tried talking to her about it but she just says kid stuff like "I have to" or "i can't stop myself". Which I would think is a sign that hey, maybe something is wrong. But she does occasionally go on the toilet. And she does go on the toilet at school. And she never has an accident in her actual underwear. She waits until late at night and goes in a pullup. The only idea I had was to just take the pullups away completely, but I am not sure I want to deal with the mess/outcome of that. And I'm not sure she's ready, she wakes up dry almost every morning... idk. It is a weird situation and it is hard not to think of it as she's doing this as some kind of power play.
Do you guys have really close friends at which she could spend the night? She's not likely to do it away from home. Send her off for a night and see if it happens.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My 3 month old son is still not sleeping. Cluster feeding all the time. He's getting big. He wakes up screaming wakes everyone up with a giant fact giggles and goes back to sleep.

Dude is starting to roll around already on his back. He was doing tummy to back at 2 months and now can roll on his side from his back by kicking.

He never wants to be horizontal. He's Conant trying to stand up in your arms.
Sounds like my so. At 1 month minus the rolling part, although he can roll onto his side already. Dude is loud as fuck too.

Of course I'm dealing with a crying mom today because she Googled some breast feeding info and has determined she's doing it all wrong, so she changes it up and he's In screaming fits. Even though he gained 2 pounds in 2 weeks, she felt the need to alter her feeding method.

I am so glad I'm going back to work tomorrow. If I come home and the house isn't on fire it will be a miracle.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

How old does a child have to be before you can start punishing them for that? I mean a mild punishment, obviously, but a punishment. I know you can't punish during potty training itself when they're younger because they'll develop a complex, but I imagine mid to late 4 years old is about old enough. I don't know if power play is the right term for it, but it does seem like something she's doing on purpose.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The books say that if you negatively reinforce it, they will just act out even more. And I believe that. We had a conversation about potty training with our pediatrician a few years back and he said the more pressure you put on them, the more you delay the inevitable. Ultimately they WILL sort this out, but fucking around with them in the meantime pushes back the date of completion.

Yeah lurkingbro I wish we did, the last close friend we had up here moved a couple of years ago, now it is just work friends and acquaintances. Tentatively my idea is to give it a bit more time and then take her out of pullups 100%. I just don't want to go nuclear and then have the Dr tell me "oh yeah she has an actual problem, you're a dick" and then I would feel like I was torturing her.

On another note, my wife fucked up and showed me the Amazon deal of the day on an 8 man tent. Anyone have experience camping with youngsters? I figure between now and labor day I will get all of the junk and amenities we would need and then we will do a couple of days at the campgrounds out here, take them hiking and stuff.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My parents took all of us camping when we were all in a range of 2-5 years old and my parents never wanted to go camping ever again. They said it was the most horrifying experience ever.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
My parents took all of us camping when we were all in a range of 2-5 years old and my parents never wanted to go camping ever again. They said it was the most horrifying experience ever.
The only thing I can imagine being worse than dealing with diaper changing at home is dealing with diaper changing at a camp site. wtf were your folks thinking?

The books say that if you negatively reinforce it, they will just act out even more. And I believe that. We had a conversation about potty training with our pediatrician a few years back and he said the more pressure you put on them, the more you delay the inevitable. Ultimately they WILL sort this out, but fucking around with them in the meantime pushes back the date of completion.
Right and I understand that but presumably there has to be some age range where you can start to be stern and give out light punishments without them freaking out and developing a complex about it.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Sounds like my so. At 1 month minus the rolling part, although he can roll onto his side already. Dude is loud as fuck too.

Of course I'm dealing with a crying mom today because she Googled some breast feeding info and has determined she's doing it all wrong, so she changes it up and he's In screaming fits. Even though he gained 2 pounds in 2 weeks, she felt the need to alter her feeding method.

I am so glad I'm going back to work tomorrow. If I come home and the house isn't on fire it will be a miracle.
Whoever invented the internet didn't consider first time mothers. You should take away her Internet devices.

Arative

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whoever invented the internet didn't consider first time mothers. You should take away her Internet devices.
I agree with this, my wife has convinced herself several times that our son has this or that from googling. There were times I just wanted to turn off the router. She's gotten better though.

opiate82

Bronze Squire

How does she think she is doing it wrong? I mean if she was worried that her diet was making him gassy or something that is one thing, but based on how you said he is packing on the pounds sounds like she is doing it pretty damn right to me.

It's almost a yes or no question: "Is your kid getting fed? Yes? Then you are doing it right."

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
As far as camping goes - we did hardcore camping with kids still in diapers. Went with one still in diapers canoe-camping (use a canoe to get from site to site every day, went for 9 days). Had to carry everything. We actually used cloth diapers to great effect, and it all was quite a lot of fun. If you're going to a place you can drive to and has bathrooms around the corner, no big deal, and a lots of fun. Beach, hikes, playgrounds, sleeping in a fun tent with your parents, and roasted marshmallows.

I recommend family camping. Yup. It's work. It's more fun work than just hanging out at home, though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
How does she think she is doing it wrong? I mean if she was worried that her diet was making him gassy or something that is one thing, but based on how you said he is packing on the pounds sounds like she is doing it pretty damn right to me.

It's almost a yes or no question: "Is your kid getting fed? Yes? Then you are doing it right."
She's convinced he's not latching correctly or something. To be honest I haven't got a fuckin clue