Parent Thread

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
My wife wanted it too. I just don't give a shit. We don't go to church and aren't going to start.
We did have a pretty great reception after so that made the day worth it.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
The way I look at it is my parents never forced it on us and allowed us to figure out on our own what we believed it (and now we're all agnostic, go fucking figure right?), and I was grateful for that. So when it comes to my kids I'm doing the same

Sometimes in grade school when I heard other kids talking about Bible study I did at times feel left out, but looking back now it's OK. Only rough time was philosophy in college where I hadn't read the Bible yet everyone else had. But that's on me.
Having taken philosophy in college 21 years ago, I'm sitting here wondering what the fuck they were talking about the bible for.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My 6 year old asked me a few weeks ago if god was real. I just told her I don't know. She then proceeded to tell me that Myra from her class told her that if you say fuck it is saying you want to kill god and that's how George Washington died because he said fuck and god killed him. I told her yes, that is absolutely true.
Did she actually say fuck? If so, you should report back to Myra's parents that their daughter has a filthy fucking mouth and is a vile influence on your daughter. And that God is going to kill their daughter. 'Cause you know, that's what God's about. obv.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah she did, but she whispered it, it was hilarious. We told her teacher in one of the most awkward conversations ever.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I find it strangely hilarious when little kids swear in full knowledge that they should. I'm a bad person. I have to moderate my reactions so they don't see the hilarity on my face.

For example, when one of my kids was in kindergarten, the computer generated nonsense words they had to sound out, and printed them on a sheet. For it to be a "nonsense" word, it just didn't have to be in the computer's dictionary. "Shat" was one of the words. My kid read it, looked at me, and said, "Isshatlikeshit, but already done?"

Gravy

Bronze Squire
My 6 year old asked me a few weeks ago if god was real. I just told her I don't know. She then proceeded to tell me that Myra from her class told her that if you say fuck it is saying you want to kill god and that's how George Washington died because he said fuck and god killed him. I told her yes, that is absolutely true.
This cracks me up. Especially the last part.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Our daughter has a pink elephant that she sleeps with. She can't say elephant but she can say elafuck. Very clearly.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
How religious are you exactly?
Fairly, but I don't tend to flaunt it. People will decide for themselves, and I will be fine with that. As far as my kids go, they come to church with my wife and I not because I will forever force them to, but so they can see what's important to us, how we live, and what our community is. When they are adults, they will be able to make their own informed choices.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Fairly, but I don't tend to flaunt it. People will decide for themselves, and I will be fine with that. As far as my kids go, they come to church with my wife and I not because I will forever force them to, but so they can see what's important to us, how we live, and what our community is. When they are adults, they will be able to make their own informed choices.
Interesting. To me this resembles indoctrination and the illusion of an informed choice.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I live in a secular society with a free and lively debate on f.inst. kids rights, religious influence, circumcisions etc. I like dork for being open an honest - and i think he knows it's more lost in translation than intent to offend from my part. I'm curious as to the rationalizations and, to me, hypocrisy in claiming to not want influence others while doing exactly that to ones own kids. I try to raise my kid to think for herself, and to not be predestined to a single denomination - or atheism etc. I don't set a date for when my kid is ready to make this choice - what is adult anyway?

EDIT:
Oh, I was wrong. He did take offense. Okay.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Interesting. To me this resembles indoctrination and the illusion of an informed choice.
Seriously? Do I shove my beliefs down your throat here on RR? Raising my children as I believe right and correct for me and for them is a negative thing? I should do differently than my beliefs in order to make you comfortable with everything?

This is obviously not worth a conversation with you. I'm happy to discuss it with sane, rational people. It appears you are disqualified.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well I'm roughly of a similar mind as Izo, but A: I didn't bring it up because I didn't see that conversation going well and B: they're your kids, not mine.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
They're your kids and its your choice, but by exposing them only to your religion as children you're absolutely indoctrinating them. Better would be to say nothing about religion, explain it to them when they are 18, and let them decide then.

During formative years and from parental influence I'd try hard to avoid instilling any particular ideology in your kids, teach them facts, teach them how to figure out right and wrong, and let them do it themselves.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Who says I'm only exposing them to my religion? We have close Muslim and Jewish friends, and we go to the Mosque and Synagogue regularly. I'm also one of those people who actually has conversations about such things with my kids, who constantly ask why we do certain things, or why I believe certain things. This is not indoctrination, it's living in faith. There's a massive difference that I don't know you can understand. That's not a cop out, it's a genuine thought.

But, to be clear, if a parent has faith, faith of any kind, bringing them to church/mosque/whatever with them is a negative thing because it's indoctrination, not simply parenting? I have pretty serious issues with that perspective. Sounds a lot like people who just get pissed when religion is introduced in any way.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Sorry kids you can't come to church with mom and dad because this guy named Izo on the internet thinks I am indoctrinating you and his society is superior and they only indoctrinate their children in secularity and that kind of indoctrination is okay but allowing you to have a glimpse into what your parents believe is bad .....

How come you secularists aren't teaching them the facts of religion and letting them go that way if that's how they so please? Get out with that bullshit.