Parent Thread

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Fuck triplets. My greatest fear.

My wife is already talking about a third child. I'm like nopenopenope. What if you have twins or more? ffuuuufufuuuuuuuu.

I don't own a farm, I don't need extra hands.

Congrats man, glad to hear everything is awesome. Welcome to the club. You get a first row seat, we won't hear from you for a few years now.
That's one of my main arguments against trying for another kid, and my wife tends to agree. The science doesn't support me having an increased risk of twins+, but my dad is a twin, my wife's dad is a twin, and my wife's brother has twins.

That shit's supposed to be passed down genetically on the maternal side, but we already rolled the dice once and just got one kid, I don't want to risk it again, because we definitely DON'T want three total, 2 would be max. I don't 100% trust what science says here, I have too much close evidence otherwise.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
No one had twins in my family and my cousin had twins a few years ago. My wife (late 30s) might have to take fertility stuff to get preggo and that's even more dice rolling.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
That's one of my main arguments against trying for another kid, and my wife tends to agree. The science doesn't support me having an increased risk of twins+, but my dad is a twin, my wife's dad is a twin, and my wife's brother has twins.

That shit's supposed to be passed down genetically on the maternal side, but we already rolled the dice once and just got one kid, I don't want to risk it again, because we definitely DON'T want three total, 2 would be max. I don't 100% trust what science says here, I have too much close evidence otherwise.
The mother is the only issue in multiples. She either pops off more than one egg at a time or she splits an egg. A man is never responsible for twins or more. It can be passed down to your daughters sure but it's not your fault and nothing to do with your lineage if she pops out more than one.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Had some Halloween photos and 6 month photos taken with my cousin who has a photo studio. The two front teeth crack me up.

rrr_img_114795.jpg

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
No one had twins in my family and my cousin had twins a few years ago. My wife (late 30s) might have to take fertility stuff to get preggo and that's even more dice rolling.
That's how we got where we are. All my wife did was just take one round of ovulation drugs. She had an ultrasound of her eggs to make sure there wasn't an abundance of mature follicles, and not a single one was considered large enough to be mature. So naturally we ended up with 4 (at the time anyways, lost one of our girls at 22 weeks).

The doc she was seeing couldn't really explain it, he had been doing it for 30 years and hadn't seen something like that. Sometimes couples will get one even without the follicle maturing, but never 4

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Damn bro you almost had quadruplets?
We kinda sorta did? Not sure. Since she was past 20 weeks we have to make funeral/cremation arrangements instead of hospital disposition by Indiana state law. It's pretty fucked up, we had already grieved and done everything we could to move on, and the hospital springs it on us on the day of delivery that, oh by the way, you need to contact funeral homes and arrange for the remains to be taken there.

I'm still pretty bitter when I think about it, I hate this fucking state. Still trying to figure out what ultimate purpose this law serves (not allowing hospital disposition past 20 weeks)

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
We kinda sorta did? Not sure. Since she was past 20 weeks we have to make funeral/cremation arrangements instead of hospital disposition by Indiana state law. It's pretty fucked up, we had already grieved and done everything we could to move on, and the hospital springs it on us on the day of delivery that, oh by the way, you need to contact funeral homes and arrange for the remains to be taken there.

I'm still pretty bitter when I think about it, I hate this fucking state. Still trying to figure out what ultimate purpose this law serves (not allowing hospital disposition past 20 weeks)
It's all tied into the abortion concept and pretty shitty for parents.

We had our first baby die a few hours after birth and knew ahead of time this was going to happen so we elected to not do any lifesaving procedures. Luckily California is pretty cool about that so she passed peacefully without all of the hardware involved.

The funeral was quite expensive but luckily we were family friends with the local mortician and he offset whatever he could.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Damn sorry man. That is intense
frown.png

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So for the first time ever, all three of my kids got to go Trick or Treating together. It was awesome seeing how great of a time they had.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I cancelled Halloween and ended up in such a shitty mood I didn't even hand out any of our candy.

I don't know if I'm more disappointed that I had to do that or that my 4 year old didn't seem to even really care.

We had a family photo shoot this morning at a park ruined because my son wouldn't listen and then wind picked up, day never really recovered. We're going to give it a shot next weekend probably... but it will be another 15 degrees cooler apparently.

His tantrums are enough of an issue at school (Pre-K) that his really awesome teacher that can usually get him calmed down and participating in class thinks he may need to be assessed to see if he might need some help or something. My thinking was that once he's in kindergarten and they have specific rules from day one and that another year and that new environment will result in less of the problem it is now. He's really bright, among the smartest in the class and one of those kids that might be looking around instead of being super attentive but is picking it all up and can be called on and participate, etc. Counting to 20+, to 10 in spanish, progressing well w/ writing and getting close to reading.

Just frustrating.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Not saying you have anything to worry about like I do with my daughters, but don't fight the assessment. I would do it ASAP if there are concerns. My only regret is that I waited so long that it basically became an emergency situation.

My daughter is actually doing great. You know, fingers crossed, but the new med dosage and school are working out. She participated in her ballet class today and actually did everything that was asked, it was great. She went trick or treating with no incidents. She has absolutely had some issues at the new school, but they are mostly able to contain it and she's only been sent home from school once. They did her PALS testing, standardized test for kindergarteners in Virginia, and she apparently scored off the fucking charts, the teachers are confident she is more than academically ready for 1st grade, we just have to get a handle on everything else.

Halloween was pretty good. Everyone had a good day. Lately, that's not something that happens a lot.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, administrator was going to get us more information, it's something that is available from the school for free... someone comes in and observes him multiple times and whatnot. Completely open to whatever options there are there and after today I'll probably be more proactive about logging some behavior and talking to the pediatrician about it more too.

The idea of medication is pretty terrifying because of the difficulty we've had getting him to take anything. This kid is so picky that despite liking peanut butter and liking bread, if you put peanut butter on bread he'll lose his shit.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The meds are scary. Reading lurking talk about his kid made me think a little differently. Seeing how scary her behavior could get without it made me a believer. I mean, it isn't what I thought, it doesnt do miracles. It just kind of slows things down so things can get through to her.

My daughter has a lot of the same food issues. You do what you have to do. If it means dumping adderall into a tiny cup of soda at 7 in the morning, you do it. Pudding works too. We're been straightup with her, we aren't sneaking the medicine, she knows she's taking it, we're just hiding the taste really. I think adderall is tasteless anyway. But mentally she will say "It's gross" so you have to overcoe that.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The manufacturer of my adderall is different pretty much every month. Most months it's tasteless but every now and then the pills will be noticeably sweet. All depends on the manufacturer.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just a little venting, but do any other parents ever think man, I traded all this (insert all you give up to have kids), in order to have some cute moments? Guess that's a little bias, as you get more than just cute moments, but in the difficult times, that's what it feels like. Out of work currently, and looking for jobs, and I get time to look when the kids sleep, and some days, when one of my 2 kids doesn't sleep as long as usual, it's frustrating as all hell. Gone are the days I can take my time, pick my ass, surf the net, make lunch, eat while watching a show, then hop on some games and call it an afternoon...
frown.png
I think anyone who is real with themselves and has a normal kid thinks this when times are bad. People won't admit it when things are good or in public of course. And those people that are image building on facebook? They've probably thought it the most and that's their way to offset those internal thoughts.

For me the tradeoff of what I lose vs the good times with my kid are worth it. But that's not the real exchange. What I gain is having a kid I get to see grow up, become his own man and hopefully for the rest of my life enjoy. And if I'm lucky he will be the one to trade his free time to take care of me later.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Checking in, where do I get the club jacket?
Congratulations!

Having 2+ kids at once must be a nightmare and comes with risks (rest in piece little girl) but man if you wanted 2-3 it'd be nice to just get it done in one shot. If you had 3 kids at 3 year iterations it'd be an extra 6 years before kindergarten and an extra 6 years before the end of high school. Triplets are like the parenting version of powerleveling.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah I wouldn't have chosen to do it this way, but I've definitely embraced it.

My wife gets discharged today so she is probably going to be a mess not being able to walk over to the NICU whenever she wants. All 3 of them are doing great really, the only problem we've had is one of the boys has Bradys but they don't last long and he recovers by himself. The other two have had their IVs our since yesterday and are getting everything through their stomach, and the one with the Bradys is getting his out today. It looks like they have all leveled out on their weight and should start gaining.