Parent Thread

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Oragel is your friend!

Or you could do what my sister-in-law (married to my wife's brother) did with her two kids and rub rabbit brains on their gums when they first start teething... supposed to be a one time cure all.

My wife did not venture to ask me if I thought that would be a good idea for our kids.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Or you could do what my sister-in-law (married to my wife's brother) did with her two kids and rub rabbit brains on their gums when they first start teething... supposed to be a one time cure all.

My wife did not venture to ask me if I thought that would be a good idea for our kids.

Is this for real? Rabbit brains?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I only have 3 kids and a couple of cousins I helped out with as babies, so I'm not the expert, but I think that people really overstate the teething thing. I'm sure there is a spectrum, just like your fucking genders you shitlords, but people blame everything on teething and a lot of times I think it is just parents finding problems where there really isn't one.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
One of my kids had wicked bad teething issues. Their eyes would swell up to the point of nearly swollen shut. It would last about a day for each tooth, but she was miserable every time it happened. Oragel made it feel better in her mouth, but she rubbed her eyes until they hurt.

Teething sucks.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>

Your brother-in-law's wife is not your sister-in-law. Just so you know. She is your wife's sister-in-law or if you prefer your brother-in-law's wife.

Your in-laws are your wife's immediate family.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My kid just got some diaper rash
Too lazy to see if i posted this already, but my brother in law is a pediatrician and gave us this advice for diaper rash.

Assuming the rash is irritation (shit and piss is acidic and irritates the skin) based and not bacterial, after you clean up the dirty diaper, apply malox with a cotton ball all around down there and then whatever diaper cream you're using. Worked well for us, we also would do a quick wash/rinse after every pooped diaper to make sure nothing was leftover. This was around 2 months old though, so a little easier to handle especially since we were both home.

iannis

Musty Nester
I can't see how rabbit brains would possibly work.

I doubt they even taste that nasty.

But if they do work I'd be interested to know why!

iannis

Musty Nester
Soranus of Ephesus developed one of the earliest recorded treatments for teething—which was fortunate, considering the severity of the symptoms this common process could cause. It was pretty simple: kill a rabbit, cut out his brain, rub it on your kiddo’s gums. Can’t get much easier than that. This practice remained the standard of care for several hundred years; it was published in the medical literature of the time: “If they are in pain, smear the gums with dog’s milk or hare’s brain; this works also if eaten.”

Well jeez, I'd never even heard of that.

Some greek dude in 100 AD wrote it down though, and it survived alexandria. Must be legit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I can't see how rabbit brains would possibly work.

I doubt they even taste that nasty.

But if they do work I'd be interested to know why!

I don't know whether it works or not, and we opted for Oragel for our kids.

Yes, wrong use of in-law. I usually refer to any of them as "her family."

iannis

Musty Nester
If I ever had to do it I might brew up a concotion of poligrip and oragel. then use a thin topical treatment.

but i'm not sure if poligrip would be a choking hazard for an infant.

Shit though... no worse than rabbit brains.

iannis

Musty Nester
If I ever had to do it I might brew up a concotion of poligrip and oragel. then use a thin topical treatment.

but i'm not sure if poligrip would be a choking hazard for an infant.

Shit though... no worse than rabbit brains.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
That should be a rallying cry for all parents. "It's no worse than rabbit brains".

Youngest hasn't hit teething yet, but the older one is going to start losing her baby teeth soon, I guess. Is it typically as nasty as the baby teeth? She's fussy as it is and this is probably going to be hell (for her and for us) if it's as difficult as the baby phase.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I believe I'm going to acquire a large amount of rabbit brains now and use them on each of my children's every wounds. You skinned your knee? Here, let me rub rabbit brains on it. You have a gunshot wound? Pack it with rabbit brains. You have cancer? Fuck chemo, it's time to sit in the barrel of rabbit brains.