Parent Thread

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Obviously no-one remembers being born but it must be a massive change, from a cosy and dark bath where all you do is the odd back-flip and play with the cord to a bright, relatively cold, world with loads going on.

edit: my little lad just turned 7 months old and hes now crawling everywhere at top speed, yammers away with mama and dad sounds, and he thinks his name is eggegg (It's Gregory). In the space of 3 days he went from trying to pull himself up to being ale to climb upright on the furniture enough that he can pull himself up his toy box, lean in and take out the brick he wants to chew and the cot is now on the bottom rung as he wants to climb out. I was sat on the floor with my back resting against the couch and he crawled over, clambered up my legs, stood on my lap and then climbed up me and onto the couch, he was very pleased with that little manoeuvre. My house is not ready!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
edit: my little lad just turned 7 months old and hes now crawling everywhere at top speed, yammers away with mama and dad sounds, and he thinks his name is eggegg (It's Gregory). In the space of 3 days he went from trying to pull himself up to being ale to climb upright on the furniture enough that he can pull himself up his toy box, lean in and take out the brick he wants to chew and the cot is now on the bottom rung as he wants to climb out. I was sat on the floor with my back resting against the couch and he crawled over, clambered up my legs, stood on my lap and then climbed up me and onto the couch, he was very pleased with that little manoeuvre. My house is not ready!
Same here, the little lady is all over the place. Huge facination with shoes as of late, will pretty much go straight for then if in her LOS. Also, responds to us addressing her with a high pitched "Eh?"

3rd and 4th teeth just broke through a couple days ago, no finger is safe.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Cherish the moments when they can't run. Especially when they can't run full speed into metal objects at head height

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Haha, I remember the intro crawling and climbing stages my daughter had. It took her literally 3 days. She began to crawl, then 3 days later, she climbed up a full flight of steps on to the second floor of our house. We quickly realized that we needed gates, so I bought them and installed them that night. And mommy wouldn't let her out of sight at all that day. It was pretty scary. But damn was she pleased with herself. It got worse when she figured out she could climb onto my computer desk using the pull out drawer handles like a ladder. That wasn't good either. I had to watch her like a hawk. She's was a crazy climber. Nothing was safe anymore. Oh, and if you have a knife rack on your kitchen counter, it might be a good idea to put it into a closet. In no time, she'll figure out how to climb onto the kitchen counter as well, and that's just something else to play with. I'm really glad we spotted her before she got that far.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Haha, I remember the intro crawling and climbing stages my daughter had. It took her literally 3 days. She began to crawl, then 3 days later, she climbed up a full flight of steps on to the second floor of our house. We quickly realized that we needed gates, so I bought them and installed them that night. And mommy wouldn't let her out of sight at all that day. It was pretty scary. But damn was she pleased with herself. It got worse when she figured out she could climb onto my computer desk using the pull out drawer handles like a ladder. That wasn't good either. I had to watch her like a hawk. She's was a crazy climber. Nothing was safe anymore. Oh, and if you have a knife rack on your kitchen counter, it might be a good idea to put it into a closet. In no time, she'll figure out how to climb onto the kitchen counter as well, and that's just something else to play with. I'm really glad we spotted her before she got that far.
Our first son decided he wanted to start climbing while my wife was watching him and I was in the shower. Was cool to come out and see him on the third step to upstairs as my wife came running full speed and caught him as he fell off

• 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
His new obsession is plug sockets. Babies do seem to have a knack for finding the things you least want them to have.

Interestingly none of mine showed the slightest interest in the sockets. They did however run full speed into tables and such.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
When we refurbished the house we put kidproof power outlets everywhere. Glad I did that. First kid came a year later but we were prepared.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Interestingly none of mine showed the slightest interest in the sockets. They did however run full speed into tables and such.

And before you know it they are running in to mailboxes with the car.

I remember the first trip to the beach with my youngest, he's playing in the sand and decides to put a handful in his mouth - gags and spits for a couple of minutes. He surveys the area around him, grabs another handful of sand on the other side and puts it in his mouth to see if it tastes any better. Nope.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yep same story here. We bought the covers but he never touches the sockets at my parents

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Okay, a little follow up to my effusive gushing about my daughter making it on the varsity team as a freshman:

Three of the five kids on one team, and THEY CAN DRIVE THEMFUCKINGSELVES!!!! We got them a vehicle (1997 Volvo 850 because they're bloody tanks and super safe), and they take themselves to school, to practice, to games, to social events, and all that. Plus the three of them do nearly everything with all the same people.

Now, I still go to their games, but I don't have to get all the kids to all their practices/social things/etc. It is glorious.

This is posted for all you folks with lilttles. Parenting does change, and, in some ways, the logistics become easier as these little people become adults and become more self sufficient. That said, I'm probably going to cry like a little bitch when the last one leaves home and the nest is empty. At least for a while.

• 1Worf

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
And before you know it they are running in to mailboxes with the car.

I remember the first trip to the beach with my youngest, he's playing in the sand and decides to put a handful in his mouth - gags and spits for a couple of minutes. He surveys the area around him, grabs another handful of sand on the other side and puts it in his mouth to see if it tastes any better. Nope.

My older son burned his leg on the exhaust pipe of one of my cars just leaning against it trying to get something out of the trunk. My middle son (2 years younger, probably 5 years old at the time) immediately pressed his leg up against it because he wanted to see what it was like if the older one got to do it. I laughed my ass off at both of those idiots and made them get their own ice packs.

• 1Solidarity

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Okay, a little follow up to my effusive gushing about my daughter making it on the varsity team as a freshman:

Three of the five kids on one team, and THEY CAN DRIVE THEMFUCKINGSELVES!!!!

That sounds amazing. My oldest is the only one doing sports at the moment, but that only lasts until this spring, when my middle daughter is old enough to start playing farm softball.

Oldest is on two teams - a travel team that practices 25 minutes away and a local team. Practice for travel is Tues/Fri/Sun (non tournament weekends). Practice for the other team is Mon/Tue/Thurs. Private hitting lessons on Wednesday, private pitching lessons one of the weekend evenings.

It's murder at the moment.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
That sounds amazing. My oldest is the only one doing sports at the moment, but that only lasts until this spring, when my middle daughter is old enough to start playing farm softball.

Oldest is on two teams - a travel team that practices 25 minutes away and a local team. Practice for travel is Tues/Fri/Sun (non tournament weekends). Practice for the other team is Mon/Tue/Thurs. Private hitting lessons on Wednesday, private pitching lessons one of the weekend evenings.

....fuck that shit

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

Man, I feel your pain. It gets better.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Child went onto the bus for first time today.

Came home with marks and bruises. Said a big boy pushed him out of his seat and threw him to the ground.

Aww naw. Come Monday.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Trying to turn him pro or...??