Parent Thread

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Complicating things they're probably both drug babies, 4 year old is probably autistic and her brother is very aggressive and has a lot of issues at school / day care.

Hats off to you as well, not sure I could take something like that on. Do you have plans made for counseling/psychological evaluations?

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
+1 confirmed.

We're both rather surprised. During IVF we were told my sperm had very very low motility but since they were placing the sperm directly into the egg it didn't matter at all. Shocked!

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
So we're working through the likely possibility that we're going to become guardians of my sister's kids. They're 4 and 7, our kids are 3 and 6. 2 girls (the younger of the 4) and 2 boys.

Sister is a junkie who can't even provide for herself that we're trying to help salvage her life, their father couch surfs between a friend's and parent's house.

It's still hard to even comprehend living with this many children, let alone the daycare costs, car seat logistics (now shopping for a van/crossover w/ captain chairs and a 3rd row, seems to be the best option for easiest in/out w/ 4 car seats?) and a myriad of other things.

Complicating things they're probably both drug babies, 4 year old is probably autistic and her brother is very aggressive and has a lot of issues at school / day care.

Toss in dad being diagnosed w/ cancer (they aren't sure where it begins or ends yet) and an ER trip for me last week (just a kidney stone, but had never been to ER for myself before...) and life is just awesome.

Anyone here have this many kids? We just got Kura beds from Ikea with this possibility in mind, they are being used as bunk beds and are working through everything else as best we can.

As for custody and all that jazz, starting lawyer stuff in a couple weeks.
For a car... we use a Chrysler Grand Caravan, it works pretty well. Captains chars in front than can fold int the stow-n-go, bench in the back that folds down. We have 1 car seat and two boost seats, but you could do 4 car seats easily and fit 6 in it. The older kids can probably use a high-back booster seat (my 4yo and 6yo both have one). Our has flip down screens with dual DVD players as well.

Good luck on the rest of it man.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My wife is 3 months pregnant with our 2nd. We had a miscarriage last summer at 5 weeks and got the first positive pregnancy test for this one a year to the day of the miscarriage. Had a minor scare at the first ultrasound at 8 weeks, when they found cysts on the umbilical cord but they were gone when we went back at week 12.

Third trimester is horny trimester.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
My wife is 3 months pregnant with our 2nd. We had a miscarriage last summer at 5 weeks and got the first positive pregnancy test for this one a year to the day of the miscarriage. Had a minor scare at the first ultrasound at 8 weeks, when they found cysts on the umbilical cord but they were gone when we went back at week 12.

Our first milestone will be the 10 week mark. That's when we had our miscarriage. Good luck to you guys and phew glad to hear things are going well for yas so far.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Our first milestone will be the 10 week mark. That's when we had our miscarriage. Good luck to you guys and phew glad to hear things are going well for yas so far.

Thanks good luck to you too. I find it's a lot different having a pregnancy after a miscarriage. Wife is concerned about everything. She wasn't nauseaous for two days and she's like you think everything is ok or other things like that. She wasn't this bad when she was pregnant with our son.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah the worry has already started in my wife too. I told her we just need to have more sex. Both of us are always in better moods when we do. lol

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
For a car... we use a Chrysler Grand Caravan, it works pretty well. Captains chars in front than can fold int the stow-n-go, bench in the back that folds down. We have 1 car seat and two boost seats, but you could do 4 car seats easily and fit 6 in it. The older kids can probably use a high-back booster seat (my 4yo and 6yo both have one). Our has flip down screens with dual DVD players as well.

Good luck on the rest of it man.

Thanks. We're going to go look at some vehicles this week, wife's quickly falling in love with the Ford Flex but the split 2nd row seems to be a rare-ish premium upgrade so they're few and far between.

Thanks others for the responses, we're just taking things one day at a time. Whatever happens we're there to do whatever's best for the kids, everything else we'll figure out as we go. Just focused on some of the practical stuff.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Thanks. We're going to go look at some vehicles this week, wife's quickly falling in love with the Ford Flex but the split 2nd row seems to be a rare-ish premium upgrade so they're few and far between.

Thanks others for the responses, we're just taking things one day at a time. Whatever happens we're there to do whatever's best for the kids, everything else we'll figure out as we go. Just focused on some of the practical stuff.
Are you pursuing the guardianship privately or is there a governmental child and family services agency involved?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Nothing is involved yet. My wife and/or mom are going to see someone for next steps legally and we'll involve those services if they advise us to. It's possible that we could do a temporary guardianship (just learned about this) for up to 6 months and then evaluate things from there but I'd be surprised if my sister went along with that, but we'll see. If we can't carve out a solution that's best for the kids that everyone agrees with then I imagine the authorities will be involved promptly. Mom has kept a pretty good record of everything to this point.

My mom took her kids a couple of weeks ago and told her to get herself cleaned up. They've lived at her house, have their own rooms and beds, and are going to school still (K and 2nd) since. Our current position is to support mom as she works to get dad's cancer diagnosed (bile duct and pancreas as of today, maybe lungs... oncologist referral pending) and to take them for the weekends that their dad can't. From there we'll follow whatever process is required of us to make sure the kids are taken care of.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I found out today that the wife is pregnant with our first child. We planned to start trying next year so this is a bit of a shock albeit a good one. I tried to sit down tonight to watch MNF and ended up wandering the house looking at all the outlets and knee high sharp corners lurking everywhere. I'm fucking terrified. Started to browse the thread randomly and immediately begin reading about demon spawns and crocodile shitting so that was comforting.
I haven't checked this thread in a while. Anyway, to respond, you have a long time. A really long time before any of this becomes important. Probably a year, give or take a month (some kids become mobile and can crawl a little quicker than others). Right off the bat, I wouldn't worry about too many things. If you child wants to hurt him or herself, they'll do it. You can't prevent everything. But you can make it a little harder. Power plugs help, but keep in mind you'll already have things plugged into most plugs. Nothing will stop your kid from pulling it out a little bit and possibly touching the metal piece sticking half way out of the wall. It'll hurt, but it won't kill, so it'll be a quick lesson for them never to do that again.

Sharp tables are another strange thing. EVERYTHING in the house is bound to have sharp corners. Mainly because they look a lot nicer than rounded corners. You can go to the store and buy rounded rubber bumpers for every corner in your house, but you'll overwhelm yourself. Chances are you'll be fine. We never rounded any corners, just put up gates and electric outlets and child safety door knobs. That's about the extent of it. As long as you aren't a completely absent parent that will join a WoW raid then 4-5 hours later, check to see how little Billy is doing, you don't have much to worry about. Kids are also a lot more indestructible than you initially think. My daughter used to love me THROWING her into the air for no real reason. I'd toss her up, she'd giggle. Continue for another 10 minutes until I'm exhausted.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream

My wife was looking at a smaller truck with a 3rd row. The new 2018 VW Tiguan fits that bill. We were surprised at how large it was inside. Externally, this truck is around the same size as a Rav 4, but might be about a foot longer to help accommodate the 3rd row and still give a little bit of trunk space. Inside, however, it feels a LOT larger. Both the driver row and 2nd row have a lot more room, then there's the 3rd row as well (which is only good for kids). As far as child seats, you're limited to only the 2nd row. But, you can easily use booster seats for the older kids in the 3rd row. This truck is also fairly reasonably priced. The 3rd row model with faux leather seats (much easier to clean than fabric) is right around $33k. And it has all kinds of nice extras included.

2018-vw-tiguan-front-angle-23v3-800x533-c.jpg

2018-Volkswagen-Tiguan-SEL-Premium-rear-interior-seats.jpg

As a side note, Honda has released the 2018 version of the CR-V that also has a 3rd row, but that version is NOT coming to North America. They feel it will compete with the Pilot, so they're limiting it to markets that don't already have a Pilot (like Australia). So if you're interested, I'm sure you could purchase it elsewhere and have it shipped over.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Learned an awesome lesson dealing with a 5 year old.

"Go to your room and come out when you are done __________________" ... insert shitty behavior you are trying to stop. Seems to work every time with my son, went from being terrible in kindergarden in the first 2 weeks to being well behaved about half the time, and making progress each day. Hopefully by Oct the good behavior will be a daily thing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
With the new born in our family, my daughter has seriously regressed to acting like a baby again. ANY criticism for her behavior at all, and she just freezes and cries. There's no stopping it. She's being a real pain in the ass because she does something wrong (on purpose) and we call her on that shit, and suddenly she can't handle dealing with it. Fucking pain in the ass.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
With the new born in our family, my daughter has seriously regressed to acting like a baby again. ANY criticism for her behavior at all, and she just freezes and cries. There's no stopping it. She's being a real pain in the ass because she does something wrong (on purpose) and we call her on that shit, and suddenly she can't handle dealing with it. Fucking pain in the ass.

Try what I did, seriously. "If you're going to whine, go to your room and whine there, and come back out when you're done whining". Assuming of course she's like.. 5 or so. Not sure that would work on say a 2 year old.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Well gentlemen the severe anxiety and stress has begun! She already called her doctor for an emergency blood test check because she was freaking out all day. Pacing back and forth in her class. She teachers high school special ed, fyi. Stressing so bad she gave herself diarrhea. I told her we're gonna be banging a lot more. We're both in a better mood after sex so hop on it and lets go!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Learned an awesome lesson dealing with a 5 year old.

"Go to your room and come out when you are done __________________" ... insert shitty behavior you are trying to stop. Seems to work every time with my son, went from being terrible in kindergarden in the first 2 weeks to being well behaved about half the time, and making progress each day. Hopefully by Oct the good behavior will be a daily thing.
Lol. We tried that recently with our 4 year old. He typically just throws himself on the ground and continues his shitty behavior, all the while yelling and screaming he doesn't wanna go to his room!

• 1Worf

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Gonna try that with my 4yo boy and see how it goes. Most of the time he just cries harder until he's in his room.