a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
qthxEcM.png

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Oh wow, I completely forgot about that. is she wearing these all the time? They're not supposed to be used like that. She must have some biiiiig tiddies.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
So this year for Christmas I want to do something a little different and totally surprise my boys (7 & 9) with a unique gift. I have a buddy that I think is a damn good artist, so I hired him to do a fantasy art scene for each boy. My hope is that this is something that they will grow to appreciate more and more over the years, something they can keep long after I am gone.

I told my buddy what scene I wanted for each boy. I sent him photos of each kid and he aged them into young men. I plan on getting them printed on 24" x 36" Metal. He just finished the first one and I thought I would share it with you guys. I really love how he nailed the shit eating grin of my youngest.

dragonslayer 1.3.jpg

Last edited:
  • 13Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 13 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't know if they'll like it when they get it (they might, I don't know your kids), but if they manage to hang onto those things into adulthood they will have a growing appreciation of them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So while driving Lyft the other day, I took this older woman to a classical music concert. As we drove, I was talking about my family, and she asked if I had pictures. I showed her one of the whole family, then one of my daughter. Turns out she used to be a talent agent, and said my daughter has the perfect look that any modeling agent is after. And would I mind if she contacted a few other agents that aren't retired and ask if they're looking for new talent. My wife said go ahead, so the woman reached out to 3 agents, and all 3 of them responded right away that they're interested.

We really have no idea what to do at this point. I've heard both good and bad things about modeling (print & commercial) agencies. Yes, it would be a nice small source of income that we could put into a savings account and end up using toward's college if she decides to attend college. But yeah... I really have no idea. I don't want her to become sexualized, but she's only 6 years old, and that would be pretty fucked up.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I would say go for it, just maintain the caution you have and don't let her alone with any Hollywood producer.

If nothing else, like you said you could make some money for college.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, if someone is willing to pay her to be cute...

just sock the money away for her into her own account. Even if nothing comes of it, there's no harm done.

I'd be cautious of schemes. Over the years hearing about this kind of thing in interviews (I have absolutely no personal experience with it), it sounds like there might be "courses". Don't pay anybody shit for an opportunity. There are legitimate talent scouts and then there are scams. And sometimes they're the same person.

It's a business. And like most businesses you don't pay for the honor of working. Paying a comission is entirely different.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Yeah, the woman I drove had a conversation with my wife and I over dinner tonight and answered every question we could think of. She told me that "most" agents charge around 20% commission. And the state of Hawaii does not require acting or modeling classes, so if the agent says they need it to go the other way. She also said that for the first year, as "your daughter" tries out for various things, she'll see if she likes the industry or not. If she doesn't like it, walk away. No harm, no foul. And realistically, at her age, she changes constantly, so don't waste any money on professional pictures. If she sticks with it, invest when she's 10+, when bodily changes slow down some. Just keep the agent in question up to date with cell phone pictures every few months.

It was pretty informative. We are going to sit down with the 3 different agents that she suggested, and see what they have to say. We'll read through their contracts and choose the one that fits us best. Then we'll go from there.

As of 5 years ago (when this woman retired), local print modeling amounted to $300 for 2 hours of work, then $150 for every hour over that. She said that local commercials offer $450-500 for a day of work. The "real" goal is to get into a nation wide add, like McDonalds or something. They usually pay $5k up front, but then they have to pay royalty fees every time the commercial airs. She had a guy that was on a United Airlines commercial that aired for about a year. He earned around $40,000 for it, after all of the royalty fees were paid. Pretty interesting stuff. I'll document this as we go, just in case anyone else is ever curious about it.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
My little monster is just about to turn 6 months old and damn, she's a blast. I only get to see her for 1 to 3 hours on workdays, depending on when she wakes up and goes to bed. Melts my heart to see that dopey smile when she first wakes up and again when she sees me get home from work.

I used to leave for work between 5:30 and 6:15 and head home between 5:00 to 8:00 depending on how much work I have to do. Now I leave work at 5:01 every day so I can get a little baby time before she goes to bed. I sit on the couch in the mornings and stare at the baby monitor, hoping she'll start waking up before I HAVE to leave. My woman actually pissed me off this morning because she texted me and asked me to start some coffee, then got our daughter out of bed while I was making a pot. Made me miss my wake-up smiles before heading off to work.

Kind of ridiculous how much that actually bummed me out, but I like my little monster and our routine.

IMG957703.jpg

IMG957798.jpg

IMG957771.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
My high school girlfriend did a lot of modeling when she was a kid (catalog ads and shit like that). She had very fond memories of it, but she also was the type who would be into that sort of thing. Her mom was real bad with money and had drug and gambling problems, so she got absolutely nothing out of it money wise unfortunately.

I hated getting my picture taken on the other hand, would've been a horrible gig for me as a kid.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So #2 is another girl. Had a slight preference for boy, but positives to both. Won't have to buy any clothes for a while at least.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah, the woman I drove had a conversation with my wife and I over dinner tonight and answered every question we could think of. She told me that "most" agents charge around 20% commission. And the state of Hawaii does not require acting or modeling classes, so if the agent says they need it to go the other way. She also said that for the first year, as "your daughter" tries out for various things, she'll see if she likes the industry or not. If she doesn't like it, walk away. No harm, no foul. And realistically, at her age, she changes constantly, so don't waste any money on professional pictures. If she sticks with it, invest when she's 10+, when bodily changes slow down some. Just keep the agent in question up to date with cell phone pictures every few months.

It was pretty informative. We are going to sit down with the 3 different agents that she suggested, and see what they have to say. We'll read through their contracts and choose the one that fits us best. Then we'll go from there.

As of 5 years ago (when this woman retired), local print modeling amounted to $300 for 2 hours of work, then $150 for every hour over that. She said that local commercials offer $450-500 for a day of work. The "real" goal is to get into a nation wide add, like McDonalds or something. They usually pay $5k up front, but then they have to pay royalty fees every time the commercial airs. She had a guy that was on a United Airlines commercial that aired for about a year. He earned around $40,000 for it, after all of the royalty fees were paid. Pretty interesting stuff. I'll document this as we go, just in case anyone else is ever curious about it.
Something to think about here though.

I see the word "work" a lot. Don't forget this is a kid. There's probably some study out there saying how damaging it is to make a kid have a job at 6.

iannis

Musty Nester
well, we're calling it work. Just because it's an activity you do which someone gives you money for. It shouldn't be "work" for the kid, and child labor laws do apply. They won't be allowed to participate for more than I think it's something around 8 hours a week.

So what they're going to be looking for is a little kid who can follow direction quickly and accurately and has the attention span to not get distracted at the tedium of it, just because they've got a very limited amount of time to get the job done. And who is also cute. Which is all pretty good experience for a kid. And they're looking for a parent/guardian who isn't a pain in the ass.

Treat it like sport or dance lessons and you'll come out alright, I would think.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Thinking about buying this for my kid for his 4 year old birthday:

Looks like the best combo of cheap + traditional controller + able to be set to low speed + reasonably durable.

Seven Out

Trakanon Raider
well, we're calling it work. Just because it's an activity you do which someone gives you money for. It shouldn't be "work" for the kid, and child labor laws do apply. They won't be allowed to participate for more than I think it's something around 8 hours a week.

So what they're going to be looking for is a little kid who can follow direction quickly and accurately and has the attention span to not get distracted at the tedium of it, just because they've got a very limited amount of time to get the job done. And who is also cute. Which is all pretty good experience for a kid. And they're looking for a parent/guardian who isn't a pain in the ass.

Treat it like sport or dance lessons and you'll come out alright, I would think.

Macaulay Culkin was on JRE recently talking about his success as a kid. He basically said the same thing. He was great at remembering his lines and following directions, and thats all they cared about.