Parent Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Thinking about buying this for my kid for his 4 year old birthday:

Looks like the best combo of cheap + traditional controller + able to be set to low speed + reasonably durable.
My kid got one (not that) and destroyed it almost instantly. Good luck

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I wanna brag for a minute, so skip this if you don't want to hear it.

My twins are seniors this year. As of today, they are both accepted to their first-choice schools for next year, and they both have enough scholarship money to pay for everything except for $3,500 for one, and $4,000 for the other (each year, including housing and books). These are all academic scholarships. My girls have worked their asses off, and they're seeing the reward of that work now. They're going to get through all of undergraduate at excellent schools with no debt. They each have enough saved right now to pay for everything they need to. They are, right now, seeing how hard work and dedication can have a positive direct impact on their lives. It's monumental.

This is more than just "Yay we got in and have money." They both, of course, had serious nerves about going to college next year. Living on their own, and being able to manage the academics of the difficult programs they have chosen. This came down to the colleges essentially saying "what do you need for us to get you here?" This is massive reassurance for both of them. The excitement/apprehension balance for leaving home tipped much further toward excitement as we discussed what these offers mean.

I am incredibly proud of my girls. I'm very excited for their futures. One is pre-med and one is music performance. Vastly different identical twins. They're both going to do amazing, and not because their mom and I push them. These girls are self-motivated.

Sorry, I'm not trying to show off or gloat, but this is a massive moment in parenting for us, as it would be for anyone, I think.

I'm very excited.

• 16Like
Reactions: 15 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
My son is 6 and really wants to start getting more into video games. He's been playing minecraft and other simple things, but I want to move him to the usual mario, zelda, etc. Any parents have suggestions here? I dont know much about Nintendo, is the switch the latest legit console, or is still the Wii or ?

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
I am incredibly proud of my girls. I'm very excited for their futures. One is pre-med and one is music performance. Vastly different identical twins. They're both going to do amazing, and not because their mom and I push them. These girls are self-motivated.

Sorry, I'm not trying to show off or gloat, but this is a massive moment in parenting for us, as it would be for anyone, I think.

I'm very excited.
No, thanks man, thats awesome, pat on back to both you and your wife as parents. Thanks for sharing, parenting can at times be full of hair pulling type of frustration, non stop for long streches, and personally I find it is quite encouraging and uplifting to hear other success stories. Tis good to try to recall them in dark times when searching for patience (esp with young adults). That is quite a nice achievement for your kids and it is always a huge weight lifted off parents shoulders when the kids succeed and thrive on their own (or by their own selfs as my 4 year old says).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My son is 6 and really wants to start getting more into video games. He's been playing minecraft and other simple things, but I want to move him to the usual mario, zelda, etc. Any parents have suggestions here? I dont know much about Nintendo, is the switch the latest legit console, or is still the Wii or ?
My daughter is only 2... So I can't talk from experience, but I bought a Switch even though I've never owned a Nintendo product before (except the original donkey kong handheld...) partly because I believe Nintendo games are the most suitable for young children. Various friends kids (between 4 and 6) are really drawn to it. I've been playing with the Switch a bit, and it's definitely quite suited for a kid (and for daddy...)

That being said, I don't think I'd want my daughter at 6 to own a Switch, to let her play it with me sure, but it's a bit overkill and not very sturdy. For a Christmas gift, I'd go a 2DS or 3DS at this age, it's cheap, and you've got all the nintendo goodies on it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
My daughter is only 2... So I can't talk from experience, but I bought a Switch even though I've never owned a Nintendo product before (except the original donkey kong handheld...) partly because I believe Nintendo games are the most suitable for young children. Various friends kids (between 4 and 6) are really drawn to it. I've been playing with the Switch a bit, and it's definitely quite suited for a kid (and for daddy...)

That being said, I don't think I'd want my daughter at 6 to own a Switch, to let her play it with me sure, but it's a bit overkill and not very sturdy. For a Christmas gift, I'd go a 2DS or 3DS at this age, it's cheap, and you've got all the nintendo goodies on it.

3DS also has the Gen 6 Pokemon games which are super easy even by the standards of the series, although 6 might still be a bit young for something in the traditional RPG style.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I wanna brag for a minute, so skip this if you don't want to hear it.

My twins are seniors this year. As of today, they are both accepted to their first-choice schools for next year, and they both have enough scholarship money to pay for everything except for $3,500 for one, and $4,000 for the other (each year, including housing and books). These are all academic scholarships. My girls have worked their asses off, and they're seeing the reward of that work now. They're going to get through all of undergraduate at excellent schools with no debt. They each have enough saved right now to pay for everything they need to. They are, right now, seeing how hard work and dedication can have a positive direct impact on their lives. It's monumental.

This is more than just "Yay we got in and have money." They both, of course, had serious nerves about going to college next year. Living on their own, and being able to manage the academics of the difficult programs they have chosen. This came down to the colleges essentially saying "what do you need for us to get you here?" This is massive reassurance for both of them. The excitement/apprehension balance for leaving home tipped much further toward excitement as we discussed what these offers mean.

I'm very excited.
That is awesome and you have every right to be damn proud parents.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
3DS also has the Gen 6 Pokemon games which are super easy even by the standards of the series, although 6 might still be a bit young for something in the traditional RPG style.
When I was growing up I played phantasy star 1 and beat it, but I think I needed help with dialogue from my dad. Pokemon games are a little lighter on the dialogue so it might be ok.

My son has taken an interest at 3.5 but his hands can't coordinate to work the controller.

Kids got the flu from some fag in my family on thanksgiving that knowingly brought their sick kid. Of course now I'm sick.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My 5 year old has loved the Ps4, so Nintendo isn't the only console for kids.

Knack, Knack 2, and recently released Spyro Trilogy are all great puzzle platformers that my son has played. The latest Spider-Man game is great as there isn't blood, and I'm not concerned with my son beating dudes up as Spider-Man affecting him negatively.

Given a kid's ability to replay stuff over and over and not get bored those have lasted for a while. Spyro he'll get for Christmas. He'll replay parts in Spider-Man over and over.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider

I'd say go for a nintendo classic and SNES classic. They are dirt cheap and get them started properly. They have them all the time at Target now.

Noodleface Noodleface the creeping crud is real. We've had weird sick issues since then as well. The worst part is, our daughter had an explosive stomach bug that did not decide to show up until Thanksgiving night. So that means we unknowingly infected every child she ran around with that day. I felt absolutely awful.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Yeah the 6yo had a fever and puked her guts out last week.
Weekend comes, 6yo gets back up to standard, 3yo starts a fever. Hasn't puked so far.
So last week I was home from work with the 6yo and this week the wife will be at home with the 3yo from the looks of it.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
daycare, 2400 for two kids
rent 1900
divorce lawyer 2500

bill day sucked, lol

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I thank god everyday that we have grandma's who watch our kids. Daycare is expensive.

• 1Solidarity

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
IMG_20181204_132334.jpg

• 14Like
Reactions: 13 users

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
The politics thread made me think Tuco was a big ol fat guy but he’s not wtf

Edit: Also, congrats!