Parent Thread

Sceleris_sl

shitlord
My wife and i tried to get pregnant for 3 years, we had pretty much given up and had the long terrible talk of "what now?" We decided not to go for IVF or adoption, it just wasn't meant to be and we would live our lives differently to just enjoy it. We both felt ok with it and moved on.

Around february of 2011 my wife got a bit of a belly and i joked "hey you might be pregnant" my wife gave me the "you're nuts" stare and we laughed and went to a party... Few days later my wife just out of curiosity decided to get a pregnancy test....positive.....panic.....call the gynocologist and made an appointment. Congratulations you 2, your wife is 14 weeks pregnant. Oh god.....positive thing, past the dreaded can't tell anyone first trimester....downside...only 6 months to get our shit together. Wtf my car didn't even have seatbelts.

Her pregnancy was awesome, she felt good, no sickness or back problems. I mostly felt fucking nervous, with my ex gf i had experienced 2 miscarriages so i was a nervous wreck the entire time. A week before due date, everything was ready, i was all set, bag in the hallway, full batteries in the camera everything was prepared. I get home from work at 5 pm and my wife tells me she has some weird feelings in her stomach, i started to time and yup, she was having contractions. Around 7 pm the gynocologist and midwife arrive, my wifes water hadn't broken yet. So they made it break(language barrier). 3 hours later, still not dilated enough. Off to the hospital. They told us they hooked up the monitor so we could hear the baby's heartbeat. Every time my wife had a contraction the baby's heartrate dropped. Wich scared the fuck out of me, i felt totally powerless and helpless. The call came in to get ready for a c section. My wife gets wheeled into the OR and i call both our parents with a status update, i get the soothing words from a assistent that everything is going to be just fine, just give the camera to one of the assistants and they will take pictures.

I sit at my wife's head, didn't really have to see her get cut open, already almost punched the anastegiologist when they gave her the epidermal, seeing someone cut open my wife would totally flip my lid. Anastegiologist was totally awesome, seeing my wife squint a bit from a sting and immediately upped the dosage keeping hercomfy. Out comes my baby boy, tiny little wrinkled thing, i immediately see it's a boy, i fall on my knees and cried like a little girl hugging my wife. I get to go to where they weigh my son, and pose for a picture where i cut the umbilical cord. When the assistant taking pictures says...what does it mean, no card? Oh god i forgot to put the sd card in the camera.....anastegiologist grabs his iphone and starts taking pictures. That guy saved the day really. 6:45 am my son was born. This is the first time i tell this story outside our family and it still draws a tear in my eye.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I am OBSESSED with phineas and ferb.

Ferb=the kid who played Liam Neeson's son in Love Actually, Doofenschmirz's daughter is the chick who sings all I want for Xmas is you at the end of Love Actually. They've actually written a lot of the songs. He will actually have a role on Game of Thrones this season.

I really wish someone would make me a perry the platypus animated avatar w/Doofenschmirz's daughter.

Target had an awesome agent P ornament this year - totally bought it.

Our friend has two kids and that's how my husband and I got hooked. If I find that its on (ESP a marathon) it goes right to the TV.
"Oh look, a platypus. ...PERRY the platypus!"

Gets me every fucking time.

mizovax_sl

shitlord
Just getting caught back up on the MN drama...I'm with hatorade in that, this was my favorite thread before the trolls.

I've got two myself. Son turns 3 in February, daughter just turned 1 Monday. I have to admit I'm addicted to their tv shows, but they're also shows I watched as a kid. My sonlovesThomas the Train, and my daughter is currently on a Blue's Clues fix. They also both enjoy The Backyardigans. Shit's catchy, yo.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Just getting caught back up on the MN drama...I'm with hatorade in that, this was my favorite thread before the trolls.

I've got two myself. Son turns 3 in February, daughter just turned 1 Monday. I have to admit I'm addicted to their tv shows, but they're also shows I watched as a kid. My sonlovesThomas the Train, and my daughter is currently on a Blue's Clues fix. They also both enjoy The Backyardigans. Shit's catchy, yo.
Their two, their four, their six, their eight ...

Catchy song!

Zarniwoop_sl

shitlord
Nice story, Sceleris. Congratulations. My ex-wife also delivered by C-section and I was quite happy to sit up by her head and talk to her during the delivery. I don't really get the whole Dad cutting the umbilical cord thing. What a completely meaningless gesture: "hey, here's something the guy can't fuck up." The nurse offered and I said no - I figured I'm better off supporting my wife, and the nurse appeared more than capable.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
My wife really wants another one. I have two from another marriage and one with her...I honestly don't think I want another one.

rrr_img_325.jpg

rrr_img_325.jpg

rrr_img_325.jpg

lindz

#DDs
The doctor that delivered my second and third lets the dad be very hand on. Like, my husband delivered both of them! lol He did the whole cut the umbilical thing for the first and it had so little impact that he doesn't even remember it. Delivering the other two girls tho.... you'll remember that one forever. :p

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Did anyone actually look at their wife's body during the c-section surgery? The table they took my son to to clean him, cut the cord, etc was past my wife's feet. Walking to it I saw a big metal basin full of blood drenched rags (or something) and that was MORE than enough for me and I actually had to kind of turn away as I walked past the surgery bed. They take the uterus out of the body during a c-section, and I just don't think I could handle seeing my wife's insides on the outside
eek.png

Also didn't cut the cord. That (Carlin?) line was racing through my head - "14 doctors and assorted medical personnel in this room and I'm the most qualified here?" lol

eek.png

eek.png

moontayle

Golden Squire
Two kids. Son, he'll be 7 next month, and daughter, turned 5 this past summer. Son was a situation where we stopped not trying to have kids. Took about a year. Daughter was a complete accident, but a happy one to be sure. We were 13 weeks along before we found out. Both were c-sections, mostly as a result of the shape of my wife's pelvic bone. Just wrong for delivery, and compounded by the fact that she's only 5' tall.

My daughter is "normal", insomuch as you can quantify the term. Loves the new Friends LEGO sets, Dora EVERYTHING, and her current favorite show is Fresh Beat Band. She's having a blast in Kindergarten and is fucking smart for a five year old, at least academically. Like, waaaay ahead of where they would expect a "baseline" Kindergartner to be in both reading and math.

My son... Last year my wife and I had some reservations about how he was progressing socially and academically. We had him assessed by a child psychologist when he turned 6. Initial evaluation came back with ADD tendencies and a recommendation for the school to perform a full spectrum analysis for possible autism. The school did it and he does indeed fall on the spectrum and as an added bonus he has a speech deficiency, which we pretty much figured to begin with. Now, it's not "60 minute special" level autism, in fact if you just met him randomly chances are you'd never know and just think he was shy, but it affects him in noticeable ways. He has major problems with transitions, doesn't like any sort of break in his routine, and will shut down at the drop of a hat. He has no concept of consequences. If you tell him he can't go outside to play because he didn't do his homework, all he recognizes is that he can't go outside and play and can't connect that with the reason why. Now, things are better since the diagnosis since we've been able to adjust how we approach things to make sure we don't flip one of his triggers but it's been extremely difficult since we just moved halfway across the country and a couple of weeks ago we had to pull him out of the school he started the year in to go into another school that's in the district we've moved into (we were staying with relatives in another district). However, it was meant to be because the new school is better set up to work with our son. Just had a CSE meeting the other day with the new school and I came away impressed at how dedicated they are at making sure our son has a good academic experience. He's behind in quite a few categories but we'll get caught up to speed now that things have settled down.

That said, he loves LEGOs, watching the Clone Wars cartoon series, and for some reason he really enjoys watching Plants vs. Zombies videos on YouTube.

I love the hell out of both of them. Best things I've ever done in my life.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Not a dad yet, but will be in about 4 months... I didn't really know it was possible to be this excited and terrified at the same time until I sat down and thought about what is about to happen. Gonna be paying attention here, though, because I've already learned a few things I never really thought about (changing baby in a cold room? good call) in the first few posts.

Gotta say, this is looking like one hell of an adventure.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Did anyone actually look at their wife's body during the c-section surgery? The table they took my son to to clean him, cut the cord, etc was past my wife's feet. Walking to it I saw a big metal basin full of blood drenched rags (or something) and that was MORE than enough for me and I actually had to kind of turn away as I walked past the surgery bed. They take the uterus out of the body during a c-section, and I just don't think I could handle seeing my wife's insides on the outside
eek.png

Also didn't cut the cord. That (Carlin?) line was racing through my head - "14 doctors and assorted medical personnel in this room and I'm the most qualified here?" lol
First kid, the placenta broke off, not all of it came out.

That was 11 years ago and I'm still trying to get the image of the doctor up to his goddamned elbow in my wife outta my head.

eek.png

eek.png

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
eek.png

I didn't look either. I just keep my eyes focused on my wife and then the next thing you know you heard a little cry and one of the greatest emotions in the world washes over you. What's funny is before that we had to wait for the doctor to show up to do the c-section and I had to put on these scrubs (although I don't know if they were actually that) and then I'm standing outside the OR in this blue scrub getup for what feels like forever and he comes the doctor come jogging in and smiling like he's running a mini marathon and I'm there standing nervous as hell. Soon they called me in though and it was great after that.

After initially crying my daughter just kinda laid there, looking around and checking things out. I thought it was so great.

eek.png

eek.png

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
This was my favorite thread before it all went to hell on morenetz.
When my daughter was learning to talk at one point she ran at me yelling THUNDERCATS! HOOOOOOOOO! Proud moment, but now that she is almost 6 it is my little pony on netflix all the time(ugh).
I know, right? Both of my kids (7 and 2) do that. I feel like we bond watching 80's cartoons, and I've emulated all of the old games. They play Ms. Pac Man like it's brand new!

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
The 8yr old and I just finished Halo 4 on heroic. He is better than I am. Won't let him play on Xbox live unless I am there and am damn sure the mics are muted.

The woman does not like him playing shooters at all, and I somewhat agree and don't let him play CoD series and some of the more hardcore ones. Problem is, I know he plays them at a few of his friends houses and I know he's going to play it somehow so I just make a point to make sure he knows it is just a game.

Any of dads thoughts on the more graphic games and kids?

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
My wife really wants another one. I have two from another marriage and one with her...I honestly don't think I want another one.

rrr_img_325.jpg
I also had 2 from another marriage and my wife always wanted 3 of her own. I preferred to only have one more, but really 2 more wasn't the end of the world. Plus the two from the previous marriage were almost 12 and 13 when we decided to give it a go.

Well, we had to do IVF since I am paralyzed from the chest down and couldn't do it naturally. With the first round we put in 2 embryos and got one baby. Cool. Second time around figured we would do the same thing. We put in two...and both took and we got twins. So I am not the proud father of 5 girls. Yes, 5 girls no boys. And no I will not be trying again to see if I get a boy
smile.png

The twins just turned one last week, and it has definitely been tough. Anyone that has a baby understands the rough nights of no sleep and such. Well with twins it is exponentially worse. Trying to get them on the same schedule was next to impossible. Then of course the toddler had some serious issues with suddenly not being the focus of the attention. Overall it's pretty good now though. The toddler still has her moments, but for the most part deals well with them. She will be 3 in February, so it is getting a bit easier with her now.

rrr_img_325.jpg

smile.png

rrr_img_325.jpg

smile.png

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I have a 3-year old boy who pretty much loves nothing else but power rangers. I just finished loading every single episode the the media center. Also have a baby girl due a week from today. I'm pretty terrified to have a girl...the boy is so easy!
Every episode? Don't you know they will just watch the same 3 over and over? My kid has all of netflix avail and she still watches the same episodes over and over for her favorite shows.

November

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have a 3.5 year old son and a daughter that just turned a year old. I'm trying to figure out Christmas gifts for them. My daughter is pretty easy to shop for at her age, but I'm drawing a blank when it comes to my son. I'm trying to get something both fun and developmental. Any ideas? He loves electronics, so he has a Leap Pad. Any other insight would be appreciated.

imready2go

WTF is a Raider?
<Gold Donor>
I sit at my wife's head, didn't really have to see her get cut open, already almost punched the anastegiologist when they gave her the epidermal, seeing someone cut open my wife would totally flip my lid. Anastegiologist was totally awesome, seeing my wife squint a bit from a sting and immediately upped the dosage keeping hercomfy. Out comes my baby boy, tiny little wrinkled thing, i immediately see it's a boy, i fall on my knees and cried like a little girl hugging my wife. I get to go to where they weigh my son, and pose for a picture where i cut the umbilical cord. When the assistant taking pictures says...what does it mean, no card? Oh god i forgot to put the sd card in the camera.....anastegiologist grabs his iphone and starts taking pictures. That guy saved the day really. 6:45 am my son was born. This is the first time i tell this story outside our family and it still draws a tear in my eye.
That moment in the operating room is truly unforgettable.

My wife and I had decided to not find out the sex of our first kid, wanted the surprise and kind of made it a running joke. After 12 hours of labor, docs decided to give her a c-section. They pull out the kid and do the usual: clearing the airways, quick weigh-in, and a wipe off of the worst of the goop. The whole time that is going on, my wife is still on the operating table with her gut open and the doctors working on her. She's like, "How's the baby? What's going on??" The nurses hand the baby to me and I turn to my wife and say, "Say hello to your daughter". The look on her face was fucking amazing. Just one of those moments that stick with you your entire life.