Parent Thread

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I knew the gender of my first, my daughter was sitting in a way that they couldn't tell. Bugged the shit out of me, I couldn't do it by my own choice and when I had my third we went asap to find out.

Some shit I just don't want to wait for, gender of my kids is one of em I guess.

Pops

I have not been as sick as I was during my daughter's childhood. Any of you get lice yet? I bathed in insecticide forever.

Off the Left_sl

shitlord
Ahahaha how timely. My wife was just asking me to swaddle our son because she's not as good yet. The "standard" sized cloth (I assume standard because they all came in the same size) suck. A friend made us a bunch that are much bigger, and that makes it much much easier. Son gets all pissy if it's not nice and tight, so I find having the bigger ones allows me more room to tuck the various ends in.
Yeah we discovered the velcro kind the other day, and they are a lifesaver. It feels like using a clip-on tie, but fuck it.

mizovax_sl

shitlord
After my son was born, and the nurses swaddled him, they used two of the blankets. The trick to it is making sure you have their knees up to their chest. It doesn't seem normal to curl your baby into a ball like that, but if you let one of the legs out, you have to start all over.

The velcro swaddle blankets are awesome. My son used to not be able to fall asleep unless he was wrapped up tight like a burrito. My daughter hated being swaddled. Even today, she refuses a blanket when she sleeps, and if I'm holding her trying to put her down, she has to be able to move her arms and legs however she feels, or she won't sleep at all.

Madikus

Knows nothing.
Every episode? Don't you know they will just watch the same 3 over and over? My kid has all of netflix avail and she still watches the same episodes over and over for her favorite shows.
Yea he's pretty much hooked on Dino power rangers atm. But I figure, at some point mom or I will need a break from it and introduce him to a new season!

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Question for you Dad's out there... my wife is due in April with our first baby boy.

How much time off work did you take?
Well, first kid is different. You're gonna kinda need to see how your wife handles it, and how she handled the delivery. If she had a rough childbirth and there were complications and shit, take the 8 weeks off to get her back up to speed. If she's having a rough time transitioning to being a mom, then take some time off and help around the house.

Honestly, for my 2nd daughter, I took 3 days off (and then I had my 3 day weekend after that) and at that point, that was enough, I might as well be at work. They were outta the hospital, doing fine, my wife already knew what the game plan is and she just started doing her thing, and there wasn't much of a point in me sitting around the house all day while both of them slept.

First kid is different though, you kinda gotta see how overwhelmed your wife is by everything.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It has been my experience that about 2 weeks is good. It took almost that long for us to just get into the new routine and figure out exactly what the new baby will be like. each time I took two weeks. For the first one, my mother in law came up for two weeks after I went back to work, but for the next two it was just the two weeks. It really depends on the situation, though. Some women get that postpartum depression stuff really bad, some have issues adjusting to the new way of life. I think if my wife had a career and was doing that instead of being a stay at home mom and going to school, it would have been easier for her.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I wasn't working when my first was born, when our second was born I took 5 days off, for this one I took 3 days off, which ran into my normal 2 days off. (so I guess it was kinda 5)

All my kids were breast fed so there wasn't a shit ton for me to do really other then change diapers, so I just went back to work.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
my daughter was born 12/7/12 at 2:03 pm. was a little scary as the wife went from 4 cm dialated to 9 in about 15 minutes. but overall it was a great experience. tonight is the first night back from the hospital and we are... friggen wiped. but she's beautiful so who cares. anyways, i'm taking TECHNICALLY 4 weeks of paternity leave but i'm staggering it a little. i'm taking one full week off and then i'm doing 3 weeks of part time. i'm a drug and alcohol counselor at a supportive living facility so things aren't quite so cut and dry for my leave. me not being there doubles the workload of everyone else so this way i can still meet with my clients and lighten the load a little. and as other fathers have said... newborns sleep a lot. i'm not gonna be missing much for the 4 hours that i'm away. and it also gives me some time away from the family to... you know.. speak with adults.

*edit
yeah, i feel bad because my wife is breast feeding so while there's definately things for me to do, my wife is the one getting NOOOO sleep. she's gotta get up every 45 minutes cuz the little vampire can't get enough it seems. so while i'm getting an average of about 6 hours of sleep (albeit, broken up throughout the night), the wife is getting close to 3 at best.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'll put in for the full time, as I have no idea how my wife is going to take it or how the pregnancy is going to go. We will have my mother in law in town, and my mother lives about 10 minutes away. Plus other family, so there is tons of support around.

If everything is working out fine, and I'm just sitting at home twiddling my thumbs while they sleep then I'll probably be back at work after 2.

Thanks for the tips!

mizovax_sl

shitlord
my daughter was born 12/7/12 at 2:03 pm. was a little scary as the wife went from 4 cm dialated to 9 in about 15 minutes. but overall it was a great experience. tonight is the first night back from the hospital and we are... friggen wiped. but she's beautiful so who cares. anyways, i'm taking TECHNICALLY 4 weeks of paternity leave but i'm staggering it a little. i'm taking one full week off and then i'm doing 3 weeks of part time. i'm a drug and alcohol counselor at a supportive living facility so things aren't quite so cut and dry for my leave. me not being there doubles the workload of everyone else so this way i can still meet with my clients and lighten the load a little. and as other fathers have said... newborns sleep a lot. i'm not gonna be missing much for the 4 hours that i'm away. and it also gives me some time away from the family to... you know.. speak with adults.

*edit
yeah, i feel bad because my wife is breast feeding so while there's definately things for me to do, my wife is the one getting NOOOO sleep. she's gotta get up every 45 minutes cuz the little vampire can't get enough it seems. so while i'm getting an average of about 6 hours of sleep (albeit, broken up throughout the night), the wife is getting close to 3 at best.
One thing that I know helped my wife through the first few months of BF'ing was co-sleeping. There are pros and cons to it, for sure, but it worked out for her, and in the long run, me. Rather than getting up to get the baby out of the crib, she was just able to sleep either topless or in a nursing bra and the baby would find her on their own.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
There is a big movement for a return to co-sleeping. My wife did it some. It always made me really uncomfortable because I was afraid I would roll over on the baby. But mostly it was good, it didn't really allow her to sleep through feedings, but it was much easier than her having to get up. The other thing is that when we had the baby in the bassinet I would normally just get up and change her and give her to my wife. Kind of a pain in the ass but it was easy for me to get back to sleep and helped her just not having to get up.

j00t

yeah... i dunno... something about co-sleeping just... scares me. not being preachy just... makes me SOOOO uncomfortable

OneofOne

Our son is 9 days old and he's been sleeping in bed with us. I twist and turn quite a bit while I sleep, but my wife doesn't. We have this... fuck if I know what it's called. Like a little baby tray that has 6-7 inch high sides on the top and sides, that we put between us to keep me from rolling over on him. Half the time he sleeps on/next to my wife anyway. As mentioned it's much nicer for her since she's BF'ing and doesn't have to get out of bed.

mizovax_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_757.jpg

Get ready!

#7 and #9 are the only two I haven't been through, with two kids.

rrr_img_757.jpg

rrr_img_757.jpg

Fidlen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fun story regarding my second child. We live in a smaller town so we decided to head into the city to have our kid. Wife got induced and wasn't going fast so we ended up spending the night in a hotel. Woke up for our 9 am appointment and started driving to the hospital. Getting ready to pull onto the main road of the hospital and some guy rear ends us. So I now have a freaking out wife, so I check to see if she is alright and turn back to notice the guy who hit us driving away. Motherfucker. Get to the hospital and about an hour later we have our second son. Everyone checked out fine except the 5k dmg to my car.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Our son is 9 days old and he's been sleeping in bed with us. I twist and turn quite a bit while I sleep, but my wife doesn't. We have this... fuck if I know what it's called. Like a little baby tray that has 6-7 inch high sides on the top and sides, that we put between us to keep me from rolling over on him. Half the time he sleeps on/next to my wife anyway. As mentioned it's much nicer for her since she's BF'ing and doesn't have to get out of bed.
We had one of those, little cosleeper things that are angled and have cushioned sides. It didn't work for us, the girls would squirm their way to odd angles in it and never really slept as well as they did in a bassinet. That reminds me, though, I need to get all my baby shit together and sell it on craigslist.

mizovax_sl

shitlord
We had one of those, little cosleeper things that are angled and have cushioned sides. It didn't work for us, the girls would squirm their way to odd angles in it and never really slept as well as they did in a bassinet. That reminds me, though, I need to get all my baby shit together and sell it on craigslist.
When my son was a baby, my mom and MIL both went nuts buying baby clothes. Lots of boy specific, but lots of neutral, also. When we found out the second one was a girl, we got rid of the boy stuff, and our parents bought a ton of girly stuff. Easily thousands of dollars worth of clothes from NB-24m between the two of them, so far. My one year old is wearing 24m stuff, and my son will be in 3t by the time he turns 3.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
If you have a certain kid that DRIVES YOU BATFUCKING CRAZY, then you will enjoy this link and understand why it's soothing and reassuring that your kid isn't the only overly strong, annoying asshole that likes to scream, jump on my head, selfish little shit that generally drives his mom and me to fucking insanity so often that I truly believe I was Hitler in a former life, or that this kid will one day cure Cancer.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattbellassa...the-worst-6z51

PS I do love being a dad. But come'on.