Parent Thread

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Yoyo babyzen is very nice, that's the absolute maximum you should allow your wife to pick, I got it for like 350€, basic one, and it's true the quality is good, it's quite light and it's convenient in planes.

Those I know that picked uber expensive one, ended up regretting it, especially the women (who insisted on buying it in the first place) because they're heavier, bigger...

The larger and heavier ones are actually more expensive, might be something to do with the materials they use? We haven't bought it yet and she is still going through reviews online, and a much cheaper one (relatively, still $900) they had that I suggested we look into is getting good reviews. I think that one would be acceptable. It might be worth it to order something directly from France or Germany and pay for shipping/customs so I will look into that.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
What's the average income there? 350-500 gets a really nice one here

Median income is about $60k per person I think, and almost all families have 2 working parents. Up until now about 2/3 of my take home has been going straight into the bank, so it isn't like we can't afford it. It is just absurd how much they cost. That $1500 one you order like a car, with custom pieces and colors then they make it for you at the factory. It all just seems unnecessary to me, but that pushes even the lower end market up I think to a ridiculous degree.

We also have zero medical bills (other than the one private ultrasound) associated with the pregnancy or birth. I think that is partly the reason parents blow so much money on this nonsense, you really don't spend it anywhere else.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Oh that's crazy. That sounds like a first time parent thing buying the best of everything. No judgement. We did the same

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The larger and heavier ones are actually more expensive, might be something to do with the materials they use? We haven't bought it yet and she is still going through reviews online, and a much cheaper one (relatively, still $900) they had that I suggested we look into is getting good reviews. I think that one would be acceptable. It might be worth it to order something directly from France or Germany and pay for shipping/customs so I will look into that.
You really don't want a titanium stroller. Especialy in Europe or if you intend to frequently travel by plane.

If it's anything like in France, look at what the yoyo stroller looks like, go to a place with a bunch of toddlers and notice 70%+ have this one, in the nice neighborhood.
It's literally everywhere.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Oh that's crazy. That sounds like a first time parent thing buying the best of everything. No judgement. We did the same

That's more or less the problem with everything here. Usually lower end stuff is to capture consumers that can't afford your high margin stuff, but if almost the entire country can afford those high margins you are only costing yourself money. I had the same experience the first time I bought a TV. Samsung has (or had) like 5 different lines from cheap to top end, in Norway they only offer the top 2 lines.

For baby stuff is seems an order of magnitude worse. Thankfully this is likely the only thing my eyes will bulge over. My wife and her mom both knit and sew, so clothes are mostly covered. She's already banged out about a dozen baby clothes from a couple yards of fabric. We also bought some cheap stuff on clearance at Target around Christmas. One of her friends is also sending some stuff our way, including toys and some pregnancy pillow thing.

Other than than the stupid carriage it is likely the only other expensive baby purchase will be a Stokke Tripp Trapp, which while a bit pricey are actually worth the money.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
You really don't want a titanium stroller. Especialy in Europe or if you intend to frequently travel by plane.

If it's anything like in France, look at what the yoyo stroller looks like, go to a place with a bunch of toddlers and notice 70%+ have this one, in the nice neighborhood.
It's literally everywhere.

I am Googling it now, thank you for the tip.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
We got a used BOB stroller from REI during the garage sale or used sale or whatever, and it was $175 and more than I wanted to spend. On the other hand it was a great fucking stroller, especially for running or transporting with us.

edit: Ugh jesus I just looked at their website...

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
It's Norway man, even the cheapest carriages (that really are junk) are like $600.

Even if that's not an exaggeration, for that much money you could buy a moderately priced model internationally, pay for shipping, and save hundreds. I paid US$150 for stroller/carseat/basinet combo that lasted just fine through two kids.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Even if that's not an exaggeration, for that much money you could buy a moderately priced model internationally, pay for shipping, and save hundreds. I paid US$150 for stroller/carseat/basinet combo that lasted just fine through two kids.

I would like to do this. At these prices it would be cheaper to fly to the US, go buy it, and fly it back as checked luggage. More realistically having someone in my family ship it to us, even with shipping and VAT (25%) is a way better option that paying such a ridiculous price.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Thule urban glide 2 is nice for quick runs / urban (duh). Front weel can be locked or set to rotate for maneuverability. Don't get version 1 which has no handbrake. Always wanted a bob, love the bike trailer option. But decided it was too risky. I hear they're really good though.
For prams we got Odder Zip, folds really well, but a tad pricey, 1400 euro. Don't want to be cheap there - wife spends time with it the most, and it matters to them what brand / how it looks / what other moms think, even though it's roll-eyes to men. It's like hand bags to them. Best to get what she wants and keep the peace.
Mmm, bed, used stokke sleepi in cherry, got it for 100 euro. New is some 800 euro. Same for nursing table. Be sure to get a complete and undamaged stokke if you're buying them used, as they change them slightly from gen to gen as to fuck over used sales, especially the madress/underlays, oh and spare parts are expensive. But they're sturdy and lasted us 2 kids with almost no resale loss. Still have the older gen stokke tripp trapp chairs, priceless. Can get some non-stokke sturdy plast tables to attach for 50 euro, love those for feeding time / spills.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
82829224_3411231592225263_2277642284012929024_n.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 3 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
My 15 yr old son does not like chocolate and until recently would not eat any frosting(he will eat white/nonchocolate frosting now), so for his birthday we got him honey dipped donuts from this place that is awesome. he would eat vanilla cake, just no frosting.

recently he has started eating "vanilla" style frostings.

side note that made my daughter and her friend laugh:
my daughter- also 15- was in the car and was talking to her friend..they were complaining about other "girls"...but now a days they are all gender whatever (not my daughter she is "normal")
and a girl they were complaining about was a "non-binary lesbian" and i piped up "impossible. If this person is nonbinary, then they are either in a homosexual relationship with another nonbinary person OR are in a heterosexual relationship with a person of another gender. a Lesbian HAS to be a female gender person prefering relationships with other female gendered person. all hetero means is Different."

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
side note that made my daughter and her friend laugh:
my daughter- also 15- was in the car and was talking to her friend..they were complaining about other "girls"...but now a days they are all gender whatever (not my daughter she is "normal")
and a girl they were complaining about was a "non-binary lesbian" and i piped up "impossible. If this person is nonbinary, then they are either in a homosexual relationship with another nonbinary person OR are in a heterosexual relationship with a person of another gender. a Lesbian HAS to be a female gender person prefering relationships with other female gendered person. all hetero means is Different."

just called CPS on you

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Study is stupid, nobody is legit shitting for 45 minutes except our fast food crew after a night of the old ultraviolence. Imagine the person who was like "men are taking 45 minutes to move their bowels? That is the only explanation for them being in the bathroom away from the anchors dragging them down and crushing their dreams, so let's go with that assumption and examine fiber intake and hydration levels."