Parent Thread

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>

I am conflicted on this one.

I would/will support and love my child through anything, but the pro-nouns thing is a tough pill to swallow. I have a real hard time with all the new pronouns, but if Bob wants to be Barabra fine, but Bob needs to be 18.

I know my wife and I would be loving and supportive, but I do not think we would allow our 12 year old to make a life altering decision like surgery or hormones. Let puberty run it course let, them become an adult and make the decision as an adult.

For the record I have zero issue with either of my children being gay, but the trans thing is tricky and again I have concerns about how they feel or think they feel during puberty.

I know this is a political hot button, but I would love to see comments from parents/hopeful parents in the grown up section.

Amod Amod if this is too inflammatory of a subject I will delete my post at your request.

Lastly, I think D-Wade and his wife might be making a mistake by putting this out there so publicly. Studies show that many children change their mind about being trans by the time they turn 18. Source, which is one of many.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
What can you really do? Support them, get them treatment (meaning mental health services) from non crazy doctors, and let them grow up. Either they grow out of it and it's just a phase or they don't and it's their life.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
It's a mental illness. Shouldn't be glorified
What can you really do? Support them, get them treatment (meaning mental health services) from non crazy doctors, and let them grow up. Either they grow out of it and it's just a phase or they don't and it's their life.

This basically sums up my attitude. The kids can do what they want with their lives, but nothing permanent until they're adults and can understand the ramifications of their actions as well as having had some mental help. But woe betide anyone like one of these SJW teachers who ‘encourages’ them to be something like trans when they're just a kid.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah, until they're 18 I'm not really gonna allow it. I think as they grow up though, it'll probably be a different story for me. For instance, if I see my son is acting like a female for years and then one day says he identifies as one - well.. i Mean what do you do there? I can't really be close-minded.. even though I am.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Little girl is just starting to string words together and I'm getting "Hi Dada" and "love bye" when I go to work/come home now. Such a nice thing to head out the door or walk in to. She's also acting really motherly with all of her stuffed animals right now, especially her baby. More and more fun every day.

28117.jpeg

28134.jpeg

28205.jpeg

27655.jpeg

27297.jpeg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Follow up brag from proud old dad - daughter got her official offer from Clemson’s doctoral program in biochemistry and genetics!

Now one more visit/interview and hopefully a tough choice to make. But either way, great opportunity for her and less strain on my wallet!

• 5Like
  • 2Mic Drop
Reactions: 6 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, until they're 18 I'm not really gonna allow it. I think as they grow up though, it'll probably be a different story for me. For instance, if I see my son is acting like a female for years and then one day says he identifies as one - well.. i Mean what do you do there? I can't really be close-minded.. even though I am.

In that case you just sort of accept that your son is batshit crazy and roll with it. You can still love batshit crazy. Source: ex-girlfriends.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Little girl is just starting to string words together and I'm getting "Hi Dada" and "love bye" when I go to work/come home now. Such a nice thing to head out the door or walk in to. She's also acting really motherly with all of her stuffed animals right now, especially her baby. More and more fun every day.

View attachment 248997

View attachment 248998

View attachment 248999

View attachment 249000

View attachment 249001

She's super cute. She must look like her mother.

• 1Solidarity

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I don't have facebook and the office dog doesn't care about my kid pictures, so I'm putting this one here. I love that this kid is so damn happy all the time. My friend with 3 kids came over this past weekend and was bummed that his son is the exact opposite. Doesn't help that his mom and sisters always put him in a dress first thing in the morning...

Screenshot_20200218-090911_Message+.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't have facebook and the office dog doesn't care about my kid pictures, so I'm putting this one here. I love that this kid is so damn happy all the time. My friend with 3 kids came over this past weekend and was bummed that his son is the exact opposite. Doesn't help that his mom and sisters always put him in a dress first thing in the morning...
Uhm what

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I've talked about this friend before, he's the commie that said that the government would do a better job raising kids than most parents.

He was hanging out this past weekend because him and his wife just separated because she's a crazy & high maintenance woman. His mom is rich and her adoptive parents are rich, so they always have help and were just starting to get cut off (a little). He's a medic and works a lot of overtime, she used to be a nail tech until they had their 3rd kid. Now she's $30k in debt for her photog business she started because she liked taking pictures of her own kids so much. Friend said she makes $0-$300/mo with her "business", and it's usually $0.

No fucking idea how she thinks she can survive on her own. They don't live in reality.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I'm pretty sure the best way to support your confused 12 year old is not to go on Ellen to collect public kudos for showing just how woke you are

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Well to be perfectly fair it sounds like an orphanage probably would do a better job at raising his kids than him and the mother are doing. He had 3?

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Hmm,
Hmm, my youngest has the swat down, maybe I'll give this a try :D

• 1Worf

Leadaas

Dindu Nuffin
First boy is 21 months old, and the new boy is 3 weeks old today. The oldest has an ear infection and hasn’t slept in two days and the baby has started cluster feeding. I’m not entirely sure what day it is. I’ve never been so exhausted. Pics from sometime in the week..

BF6E85B3-9359-47B5-84BF-252DC1B3F47A.jpeg
8CE4C823-27A1-42C5-8750-D6D40870DCE3.jpeg

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users