Parent Thread

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Went to a Halloween party last night and threw one today. All the kids age 6-8 know what the squid games are, they’re playing the games in the back yard. I asked how they knew and they said kids at school talk about it but none of them have seen it either. So it sounds like it’s just so viral that the basic info is trickling down to the kids. I asked what happens when someone loses and they said “then they’re out, duh.”

Edit: Wife was overseeing the games, she hasn’t seen the show, she just came inside with all the kids and some foam swords and said “we have to end the games, they’re getting too violent.” I asked her if she even knew anything at all about squid games.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Who the fuck is letting their 6 year old kid watch squid games?
It's not necessarily that they've watched squid games. Kids games such as roblox as well as youtube/tiktok channels aimed at kids are overrun with squid games themed stuff especially the red light/green light game.
My son definitely hasn't seen squid games but he knows all about red light/green light from roblox and kids at school talking about it.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My mother in law is korean, she played all that stuff when she was a kid. We played red light / green light when i was a kid though, no one else?

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
LoL it's not the red light green light game thats causing issue.

it's kids likely trying to, within reason, emulate red light / green light from Squid games.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
LoL it's not the red light green light game thats causing issue.

it's kids likely trying to, within reason, emulate red light / green light from Squid games.

They have no idea that people are getting killed in the show (except that kid that sparked this conversation). The kids I talked to the last two days were playing them traditionally, where people are just “out”. Another parent said his kid got it from Roblox which is just riding the viral train. It’s just pop culture spreading to every age group.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I don't remember if I posted this one or not.

My daughter gets emotionally attached to the weirdest little things. This is a plug-in night light that she's been hauling around for months. Accidently left it at some random diner that we've never been to before. I kept telling her "I think your duck went to go visit it's grandma for a few days" hoping that she would eventually forget about it, but no luck. So we had to go all the way back to this middle-of-nowhere diner to see if it was still there and luckily they'd saved it. When the waitress brought it over to us, my daughter screamed at max volume "MY DUCK MY DUCK DUUUUUUUUUCKKKKYYYYYY HOW WAS YOUR GRANDMA?!?" and the whole godamn restaurant burst out laughing. Daddy was a hero on this rescue mission.

1636403895892.png

• 3Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

My daughter gets emotionally attached to the weirdest little things. This is a plug-in night light that she's been hauling around for months. Accidently left it at some random diner that we've never been to before. I kept telling her "I think your duck went to go visit it's grandma for a few days" hoping that she would eventually forget about it, but no luck. So we had to go all the way back to this middle-of-nowhere diner to see if it was still there and luckily they'd saved it. When the waitress brought it over to us, my daughter screamed at max volume "MY DUCK MY DUCK DUUUUUUUUUCKKKKYYYYYY HOW WAS YOUR GRANDMA?!?" and the whole godamn restaurant burst out laughing. Daddy was a hero on this rescue mission.

View attachment 381222

You better save that night light and present it to her at her wedding. That would be amazing.

Kids do get attached to the strangest things. One of my daughters at college just asked for the burrito blanket that lives in our family room. She said she really misses it. She's 20.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

View attachment 381222
Cute story. That can easily go the wrong way.

A coworker years ago told me about his daughter and grand daughter. They were at the bank and standing in line and it was really busy. The grand daughter wanted candy or something and the mom was telling her no and kind of ignoring her. The grand daughter yelled “If you don’t get me candy I’m telling grandma I saw you kissing daddy’s peepee!” Whole bank froze, then lost it as she was rushing out the door.

• 1Worf

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
You better save that night light and present it to her at her wedding. That would be amazing.

Kids do get attached to the strangest things. One of my daughters at college just asked for the burrito blanket that lives in our family room. She said she really misses it. She's 20.
I have been saving SO much shit. Her mom wants to chuck everything as soon as she outgrows it but I'm always digging through the "donation" bags to find stuff I don't want to get rid of. I don't save any of the big/bulky stuff, but I can't bring myself to throw out some of her clothes or small toys that I'm attached to, by way of her attachment. I found her toddler Carhart jacket in the last donation bag and I was ready to roll it up and smack my wife with it for trying to get rid of it.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Cute story. That can easily go the wrong way.

A coworker years ago told me about his daughter and grand daughter. They were at the bank and standing in line and it was really busy. The grand daughter wanted candy or something and the mom was telling her no and kind of ignoring her. The grand daughter yelled “If you don’t get me candy I’m telling grandma I saw you kissing daddy’s peepee!” Whole bank froze, then lost it as she was rushing out the door.
LOL. We've been having those moments too. Her favorite one right now is "I'm going to poop on you", "I'm going to poop on your dinner", "I'm going to poop on your hand", etc. She's also been saying "Why does everyone have privates?" and "Why does everyone have bellybuttons?". So far, nothing that makes me feel like I'm going to get a CPS visit if she says in public. Closest one to that is her obsession with nipples lately. She's been holding her stuffed animals to her chest and saying stuff like "My Llama baby is eating my nipples because she's hungry and babies eat nipples". It's all pretty cute.

She also points at her toilet and says "Imma put some poop in there" or "Imma put some pee in there". Cracks me up every time. I really hope she's saying that shit at preschool.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
my oldest (almost 5) is obsessed with pointing out old people like "isn't that woman old!", could end up being embarrassing.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
my oldest (almost 5) is obsessed with pointing out old people like "isn't that woman old!", could end up being embarrassing.
Old isn’t too bad. I had a friend whose two year old would point out black people. Loudly. And using a bad word.

My son pointed out that his grandma was fat to her. He just didn’t know that was not socially acceptable is all. Still embarrassing but most people understand kids don’t know any better yet.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Old isn’t too bad. I had a friend whose two year old would point out black people. Loudly. And using a bad word.

My son pointed out that his grandma was fat to her. He just didn’t know that was not socially acceptable is all. Still embarrassing but most people understand kids don’t know any better yet.

not kid related but I was at my mum's funeral a couple of months ago and her cousin came up to one of my sisters and said "you're looking fat!", funny to me but jokes on the cousin, she died a couple of weeks ago!

on the old thing I tend to be vocal behind the wheel and was shouting something like "get out of the way you stupid old codger", my kids now calling everyone stupid or a stupid old codget.

• 1Worf

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

My mom told me that when I was younger she took me on a bike ride and we rode past a black family and I loudly proclaimed “look it’s the Cosby’s!”

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Do most of you live in a household with both parents working? My wife and I were randomly talking about how we feel bad that our kids have longer schedules than we do. They're 5 and 9 and they get to school at 7:30am and get picked up at 6pm. We also don't live very close to the school so the commute is an additional 25ish minutes on top of that. Then on no school times they go to an after school program. This random conversation has snowballed into a serious discussion as to whether my wife should be a stay at home mom or find a part time job. This way the kids can come home at a 'normal' time and get more outdoor/play time, then have proper summer breaks, etc.

I'm going to crunch the financials to be 100% sure. I'm confident we're fine in that area but was curious if we're just thinking too much about it or do a lot of parents these days want to sacrifice a bit to have a non-working parent. I suppose my wife would go back to work at some point, say when they're in high school or after that.

Just curious on opinions since we both grew up in houses with a stay at home mom.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Do most of you live in a household with both parents working? My wife and I were randomly talking about how we feel bad that our kids have longer schedules than we do. They're 5 and 9 and they get to school at 7:30am and get picked up at 6pm. We also don't live very close to the school so the commute is an additional 25ish minutes on top of that. Then on no school times they go to an after school program. This random conversation has snowballed into a serious discussion as to whether my wife should be a stay at home mom or find a part time job. This way the kids can come home at a 'normal' time and get more outdoor/play time, then have proper summer breaks, etc.

I'm going to crunch the financials to be 100% sure. I'm confident we're fine in that area but was curious if we're just thinking too much about it or do a lot of parents these days want to sacrifice a bit to have a non-working parent. I suppose my wife would go back to work at some point, say when they're in high school or after that.

Just curious on opinions since we both grew up in houses with a stay at home mom.
We both work but are fortunate enough to have flexible schedules and plenty of paid time off. He gets off the bus and were available. He doesn’t have to go to an after school program because we’re one or both of us there.

If you feel you’re missing out or their schedule is too long I don’t think it’s a big deal for her to not work for a while, unless your finances are tight, your jobs not very secure, etc. It would probably be good for the kids to have more parent time.

I grew up in a single parent home and she worked most of the time. I was a latch key kid so was home alone for an hour or more at age 8. Can’t really tell you how I felt as a kid with no parents, don’t really remember their presence or what I thought about it back then.

• 1Like

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Opinion - You are in the best possible position, have her be a stay at home mom. If so the kids are in school she can work part time if she wishes. Have another kid. Once the kids are out have her restart a career and you can scale back.

I'm older. Looking back the single biggest mistake we made is not having more kids earlier and not making the sacrifices necessary to allow one of us, or both of us part time, to be with the kids full time. Trusting others with large portions of your kids time is a huge problem, this includes their friends.

Because this is probably the most controversial part. Yes, they should have friends but family and family activities should come first 100% of the time. I could expand on specific examples but the point is the same.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
We should have started earlier too. I’m happy with my kid, just kind of feel bad he’s an only child. However I feel I’m too old, and he’d have too big of an age gap, to go for another one. I don’t want a high schooler in my house when I’m turning 60.

If you can have her stay at home and have more go for it. No one ever laid in their death bed and said “I shouldn’t have had so many kids.” I’m sure the reverse has happened though.

• 1Like