Parent Thread

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
anyone has any experience with robot toys like blue bot or wowwee chip? something "programmable".

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Not really what you are looking for but it should be mentioned that cool electronic toys still exist. If I had a kid anywhere near the age range I'd be in on this. The kickstarter is over but there are always late pledges.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I have a couple of these sets. They’re pretty cool, similar to that mechanical one.

Snap Circuits Classic SC-300 Electronics Exploration Kit | Over 300 Projects | Full Color Project Manual | Snap Circuits Parts | STEM Educational Toy for Kids 8+ 2.3 x 13.6 x 19.3 inches

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I have a couple of these sets. They’re pretty cool, similar to that mechanical one.

Snap Circuits Classic SC-300 Electronics Exploration Kit | Over 300 Projects | Full Color Project Manual | Snap Circuits Parts | STEM Educational Toy for Kids 8+ 2.3 x 13.6 x 19.3 inches
My daughter LOVES these. She got one for her birthday last year and it's all she wanted to play with for about 2 weeks.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
My child is loving command blocks in Minecraft. His reading and writing capabilities have both improved significantly.

Any first hand recommendations for similar activities? Ideally browser-based websites?

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Venting…

So you try to teach your kids basic shit, right and wrong, how to dress themselves and wipe their own ass, how to think for themselves, etc. and so on…

My son calls me today and says “I’m going to tell you something but please don’t get mad.” Of course I’m like wtf did he do?

“So there was this ad on TikTok for such and such and I thought wow great deal and on an impulse bought it. Well then it did seem a little sketchy so I googled and well it’s probably a scam…”

Fortunately it wasn’t a lot of money and he’s disputing the transaction, but - damn son! How many fucking times have I told you these fucking ads are bullshit?!? Genius is turning 21 this month, doing well in college and all I can think about is where did I go wrong…

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Venting…

So you try to teach your kids basic shit, right and wrong, how to dress themselves and wipe their own ass, how to think for themselves, etc. and so on…

My son calls me today and says “I’m going to tell you something but please don’t get mad.” Of course I’m like wtf did he do?

“So there was this ad on TikTok for such and such and I thought wow great deal and on an impulse bought it. Well then it did seem a little sketchy so I googled and well it’s probably a scam…”

Fortunately it wasn’t a lot of money and he’s disputing the transaction, but - damn son! How many fucking times have I told you these fucking ads are bullshit?!? Genius is turning 21 this month, doing well in college and all I can think about is where did I go wrong…
We all do stupid shit. Sometimes we get suckered into something even though we know we shouldn’t. Just use it as an example “Remember when you bought that girls bath water on tiktok and got ripped off?” when he’s debating something stupid in the future.

Even when someone tells you about shit like that it’s hard to really stick until you actually fuck up and deal with the consequences. If that’s the biggest thing you’re worried about you’re doing fine.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
We all do stupid shit. Sometimes we get suckered into something even though we know we shouldn’t. Just use it as an example “Remember when you bought that girls bath water on tiktok and got ripped off?” when he’s debating something stupid in the future.

Even when someone tells you about shit like that it’s hard to really stick until you actually fuck up and deal with the consequences. If that’s the biggest thing you’re worried about you’re doing fine.
Yeah I guess it’s a lesson learned.

I had a long talk with him over Thanksgiving break sitting down with him and my son-in-law. Son has a girlfriend at college and my wife isn’t happy about it. Girl seems very immature, and he’s broken off the relationship before and she keeps coming back. I talked about focusing on his primary responsibilities - classes, football, leadership roles he’s accepted (last two involve some scholarships) - and what females in their twenties might be looking for.

Basically summed it all up with “Don’t stick yo dick in crazy, son - it doesn’t end well.”

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That’s probably the toughest lesson to learn and maybe impossible to teach. There are grown men everywhere that have been through it dozens of times and they’ll still fuck up and go after the wrong women.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
College is the time to stick your dick in the crazy.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
kid is starting to be old enough for some simpler cartoon movies, nostalgia galore watching some early disney and ghibli stuff. also silly symphonies.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Santa came to my daughter's preschool, but she ain't having it. So they brought out a chair so she could sit NEXT to Santa.
Screenshot_20211217-170141_Message+.jpg

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah my kid would always be excited to see Santa while waiting in line but when the time came to chat he got nervous and pissed off / panicked.

Now he says “That’s not Santa, that’s just a mascot.”