Parent Thread

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I see nothing wrong with eating a pound of broccoli for supper.

Sometimes I do that too. Little girl has sense.

Yeah, so do I, but she's bottom 5% in size and bottom 1% in weight.
She's not skinny, just not a lot of fat compared to her peers.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, so do I, but she's bottom 5% in size and bottom 1% in weight.
She's not skinny, just not a lot of fat compared to her peers.

The percentiles are kinda goofy. No doubt useful sometimes--noticing hydrocephalus or whatever, but half an inch bumps like 25 percentiles. We had one nurse constantly mis-measuring and/or misrecording. One visit she actually left notes for the doctor that our son's head circumference had contracted by an inch since the last visit!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Cant force kids to eat shit they dont like. Good news is that their tastes change when they get older. My oldest son which is almost 18 didnt like shit, he only ate fucking peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for years, he was THAT picky. The meats, their texture etc..but he did like lettuce, but only lettuce. But when he got older and older the more shit he tried he seemed to like. All I ever told him at the dinner table is to try shit, he owes me a try after spending xxx amount of time to make the shit. So slowly over the years he began to like more and more shit.

For example just this summer they went to my wifes brothers house to help out so I packed them some sammies, turkey ham and cheese. So they get back and hes all like man I loved the sammie. and he only ate it reluctantly because he was hungry and it was the only shit to eat at the time. So now hes making his own turkey ham and cheese sammies all the time. Only took him 18 fucking years to figure out that turkey/ham and cheese sammies are good.

My other son is the opposite. Hes a human vaccum when it comes to food. Hell eat and try anything. And although hes not a veggie guy he has his veggies he likes.

I think of myself too. Shit I never ate any veggies when I was a kid. But now when im old, I love me some veggies of all kinds.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah we tried that too. They still wont eat crap they dont like. At least my kid was a stubborn ass like that.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
We cured the first two of picky eating but damn, no. 3 is winning so far. A daily battle right now. So nice looking at the first 2 and knowing she's likely to survive this phase.

• 1Worf

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah we tried that too. They still wont eat crap they dont like. At least my kid was a stubborn ass like that.
I remember as a kid, I'm like 8 years old, and my mom made stuffed peppers and I just wouldn't/couldn't eat them. They made me sit at the table for like 5+ hours. But I outlasted them, because I was a knucklehead

• 1Solidarity

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I remember as a kid, I'm like 8 years old, and my mom made stuffed peppers and I just wouldn't/couldn't eat them. They made me sit at the table for like 5+ hours. But I outlasted them, because I was a knucklehead

Something similar happened to me. I waited them out and my dad finally let me got to bed but said it still going to be the next thing I ate. I thought I was clever and got up at 5 AM to have some cereal. I spent like 20 minutes on pins and needles tip-toeing across the house obsessing over every creaking floorboard, get to the kitchen, flip the light, and there's Dad just waiting for me at the table. He says nothing, and pushes the bowl of veggies at me.

After that I just gave up.

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Something similar happened to me. I waited them out and my dad finally let me got to bed but said it still going to be the next thing I ate. I thought I was clever and got up at 5 AM to have some cereal. I spent like 20 minutes on pins and needles tip-toeing across the house obsessing over every creaking floorboard, get to the kitchen, flip the light, and there's Dad just waiting for me at the table. He says nothing, and pushes the bowl of veggies at me.

After that I just gave up.

That is some hard core parenting.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So my wife starts cursing easily when she can't find stuff, and she's also good at putting stuff where she won't find it later, so it's been a lot of "shit shit shit" today.

of course my 4 year old learned in kindergarten by now that shit is a bad word you're not supposed to say. So she lectures my wife on not using that word, which of course gets ignored because my wife's busy looking for her cell, her car keys, her sunglasses and whatever else is misplaced.

Which, after a few more shits, results in "Mommy, you're a shit woman"

Highly entertaining, but you mustn't laugh in these situations :)

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
That is some hard core parenting.
My wife's parents would either make her stay at the table until she finished, or make her it the leftovers for breakfast the next day.

When i was growing up we got to choose 1 thing we didn't like and could pass on. Had to finish everything else.

iannis

Musty Nester
So my wife starts cursing easily when she can't find stuff, and she's also good at putting stuff where she won't find it later, so it's been a lot of "shit shit shit" today.

of course my 4 year old learned in kindergarten by now that shit is a bad word you're not supposed to say. So she lectures my wife on not using that word, which of course gets ignored because my wife's busy looking for her cell, her car keys, her sunglasses and whatever else is misplaced.

Which, after a few more shits, results in "Mommy, you're a shit woman"

Highly entertaining, but you mustn't laugh in these situations :)

How can you NOT say "I've been saying that for years, sweetie!"

HOW CAN YOU NOT? The self control is impressive!

Senaiel

Silver Knight of the Realm
I have a daughter who is pushing 20 months now and she is in a really fun phase. Anyway her vocabulary is pretty strong for 20 months but today was the first time she saw it raining in Las Vegas since she started talking. So we go to let my dog out before I go to work and she notices the rain and stares at it and looks at me shouting "Outside PEEPEE". Kids really are the best sometimes.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Driving home from hockey tonight my youngest was in the front seat. In front of us was a car with a bumper sticker that said "Little shits on board." My 11 year old looked at me and said "Are we little shits? Do we need a little shits bumper sticker?"

He's just now starting to test limits with "bad" words. He made sure shit was in his question twice in a situation where he could "defend" it. Everyone in the car laughed, and I told him that they were only periodically little shits. For the most part they are gigantic shits, thus extending his shit joke.

He grinned for the next five minutes.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Hosix

All labs matter!
We got our first sports related concussion. My oldest plays on his school soccer team for 7th & 8th grade.

He was a sweeper and prevented a goal with his face. I had no idea that some of these kids kick with the power of adults.

As soon as it went off his head I knew it. He staggered and had that look of “what the fuck just happened????”.

Ref made the decision to stop the game and make him go out. Sensitive to light and nausea. He got to miss school which made him happy.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
We got our first sports related concussion. My oldest plays on his school soccer team for 7th & 8th grade.

He was a sweeper and prevented a goal with his face. I had no idea that some of these kids kick with the power of adults.

As soon as it went off his head I knew it. He staggered and had that look of “what the fuck just happened????”.

Ref made the decision to stop the game and make him go out. Sensitive to light and nausea. He got to miss school which made him happy.

He should have seen a doctor, or maybe he did and that's why he got to miss school.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
He should have seen a doctor, or maybe he did and that's why he got to miss school.
Probably. Not like docs can do anything to relieve a concussion not requiring surgery, bar painkillers. 24h observation at hospital or parents, sleep and relax is standard. Neurons heal or not.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Probably. Not like docs can do anything to relieve a concussion not requiring surgery, bar painkillers. 24h observation at hospital or parents, sleep and relax is standard. Neurons heal or not.

It's just important to remind people (imo) that concussion is a somewhat understated word for what is a TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY.

• 1Worf