Parent Thread

iannis

Musty Nester
So I finally removed the side of my daughter's crib to make it more into a toddler bed. So now, instead of her lying there and playing with her toys for an hour before calling/crying, she immediately comes and wakes us up when she wakes up. Fuck.

Had to be done. She started climbing out.

My parents said that they put the crib on a mattress for me, because it was an old wooden one and I went monkey mode too.

She have a playpen? I actually have very dim memories of my playpen. Mom said i'd sleep in that and never try to crawl out, it was just the crib that I did the great escapes. I dunno. It was netted. So either I could see the whole room and didn't care, or I couldn't puzzle out how to climb over a net.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Proud (old) dad moment. Daughter will graduate after this semester with a BS in Biology and has an final interview for a spot in a doctoral program in the life sciences - she wants to pursue her doctorate in genetics or neuroscience. Also waiting to hear back on if she has a final interview with another college. We feel pretty good about her chances. If she’s accepted, it’s a full ride plus stipend for living expenses.

In other news, son managed a B average his first semester. Pretty pumped about that too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Causes behind sleep deprivation:

The 7-month old is now banging her bottle against the bars of the crib at night as if she were some hardened prison inmate.

• 2Worf

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Wife is 12 weeks with our first.

If all goes well I will be joining this thread soon. Excuse me while I go back to reading parenting books.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>

If all goes well I will be joining this thread soon. Excuse me while I go back to reading parenting books.

Congrats, start reading now.

Let's Panic About Babies!
51KSBTGTMYL.jpg

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We didn't read any books, just winged it. And our first kid was collicky. Let me tell you, that shit made me want to kill myself

You'll be fine

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
On the bottle on the bars bit. Teach the kid to Shout Attica while doing it and film it. Become E famous!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

While I don't have kids of my own, I believe my keen observations have led me towards the single greatest rule of being a parent, and I will share it with you now.

Loud toys are toys that get kept at grandpa and grandma's house.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Denaut

Trump's Staff
We didn't read any books, just winged it. And our first kid was collicky. Let me tell you, that shit made me want to kill myself

You'll be fine

The most reliable stuff I've read (from before as well) says that as a parent you have basically zero positive direct influence on how your kid actually turns out via parenting. You can screw them of of course (like abusing them), but otherwise almost nothing you directly do really matters in the long run. The only real influence you have is where you choose to live and which school you send them to.

I actually find that pretty comforting.

• 1Picard
  • 1EyeRoll

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
The most reliable stuff I've read (from before as well) says that as a parent you have basically zero positive direct influence on how your kid actually turns out via parenting. You can screw them of of course (like abusing them), but otherwise almost nothing you directly do really matters in the long run. The only real influence you have is where you choose to live and which school you send them to.

I actually find that pretty comforting.
If you believe this I have an investment opportunity that would be perfect for you.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah idk, early intervention and prek education alone are hugely dramatic markers for success in a person's life. Not to mention nutrition, behavior modeling, medical treatment and vaccinations, etc etc. Parents control way too much shit in a kids life. I'm sure it's possible, but it is just doubtful.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

nice mine is at 10 we can be battle buddies

we're not reading parenting books tho