Parent Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I have a 1.5 year old and a 2.5 year old - We have not really done any traveling since the eldest was 6months for obvious reasons.

We have some business at the coast and as luck would have it our friend is going out of town that week and letting us use their house for 5 days.

My wife is insanely anxious about the babies on the trip, mostly about sleep arrangements. - She wants me to disassemble and bring 2 cribs so they have a place to sleep that consistent with their current situation.
That shit will just not fit with 4 of us. - second option is to rent 2 portable cribs when we get their, looks like $250 for the 5 days for that. - Ic an handel the cash but the logistics of drop off and pick up are crazy (hour drive each way, cant drop off on sunday so they asked to leave it outside)
2nd option is i follow behind in the truck with cribs and highchairs ,. we take 2 cars - Costs about $180i n gas and also WTF that is so lame.

WFT do normal people due - Just let the kids sleep with them?
I am very against that on principle - suggested we do it for these 5 days anyway just to solve the problem wife is worried it will mess up their sleeping when we get back.

She is seriously talking about canceling the trip over the anxiety of traveling with 2 toddlers. - Its mostly the sleep issue.

Are we crazy?
Is she crazy
What would you do ?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have a 1.5 year old and a 2.5 year old - We have not really done any traveling since the eldest was 6months for obvious reasons.

We have some business at the coast and as luck would have it our friend is going out of town that week and letting us use their house for 5 days.

My wife is insanely anxious about the babies on the trip, mostly about sleep arrangements. - She wants me to disassemble and bring 2 cribs so they have a place to sleep that consistent with their current situation.
That shit will just not fit with 4 of us. - second option is to rent 2 portable cribs when we get their, looks like $250 for the 5 days for that. - Ic an handel the cash but the logistics of drop off and pick up are crazy (hour drive each way, cant drop off on sunday so they asked to leave it outside)
2nd option is i follow behind in the truck with cribs and highchairs ,. we take 2 cars - Costs about $180i n gas and also WTF that is so lame.

I am very against that on principle - suggested we do it for these 5 days anyway just to solve the problem wife is worried it will mess up their sleeping when we get back.

She is seriously talking about canceling the trip over the anxiety of traveling with 2 toddlers. - Its mostly the sleep issue.

Are we crazy?
Is she crazy
What would you do ?

Your wife is crazy. Don't over stress.

Get a couple of these:

We had those, they are awesome. Get the kids to sleep in it a couple of times in advance in their own room. That way, when you set it up in the place you're vacationing it will be familiar to them, and there is no anxiety. We used these all the time when we would go out in the evenings to friends' house or whatever. Set that little tent up, and it was home to them, and they slept like logs. It's a super simple solution and isn't very expensive. You can even put these on top of beds because the kids can't roll out of them/off the bed.

The big thing I can say to you is just relax. Your kids are going to cry in the car, but as long as you're around at bedtime when they're going to sleep it will all be fine. It might take a couple nights to be totally smooth sailing, but your wife is over stressing. Keep in mind this is coming from the guy who vacationed with a a 6 month old, a 1.5 year old, and two 3 year olds. It's totally doable, and your own stress level will be reflected in the kids. Take a chill pill, realize you're on vacation, and enjoy yourselves. Your kids will, too.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

Are we crazy?
Is she crazy
What would you do ?
We take these little portable packnplay deals and used them as cribs for the kids while at grandma's or whatever. Seemed to work well enough and kids actually sleep in the things. It's an ordeal for sure but they pack into reasonably sized bags for the car

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Thanks for the responses fellas.

We have 1 of those, I suggested it but the wife stuck her nose up at it as she thinks the 1 year old can get out of it (he might be able to) - he is huge
My parents have one as well i can snag. - We never really used them before as Covid kepts us home a lot.

I have convinced her to let us do a test run in it.

Thanks

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Pack N Play is what I was going to recommend as well, what we used with ours when traveling.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Some people just don't travel for 3-5 years (or travel a lot less), until their kids are old enough that sleeping isn't so much of a fucking pain. When my son was 1 I took him to Brazil to visit family and it was fucking hellish. Neither my wife nor I are high-stress parents, but no one had fun. The destination was fine, just throw the kid in a pack 'n play and they'll cope. The transit SUCKED though and ruined 2+ days on either end while we all recovered.

For those of you that did travel, were your kids generally easy sleepers? Mine were absolutely not, even at home. Acid reflux, separation anxiety, night terrors, you name it, we had it.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
We travelled extensively when my son was that small and never did any special arrangements for his sleeping. He'd sleep with us, or on a second bed in hotel rooms, or on whatever spare mattress/pullout bed the hotels had available.
I'm of the opinion that trying to keep little kids environment perfectly consistent will affect their ability to cope with change. My son is 8 now and will sleep anywhere, any environment, any noise level. If we go out for dinner or to visit friends at night and gets tired, he will just sleep in a spare seat or a corner somewhere waiting for us to finish what we're doing and carry him to the car to drive home.
On the wifes anxiety, well mine had a different kind, where she would carry padded foam shit everywhere and stick them on corners of anything she thought my son could accidently bump into and hurt himself.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Dog crate are a lot cheaper than pack n play’s

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm building a rock wall (finally) for my 3.5 yo daughter right now. Inside the house, so she has something kinda active inside this winter. 4ft x 8ft right now, but I'll put up another sheet if she uses it regularly.

Ideas on a good way to motivate her to get up to the top? I was going to put a quarter or a dollar or something at the top and tell her she can put it in her piggy bank if she gets up there, but I'm not sure if it would be better just to leave the accomplishment itself as the motivation.
Just make it a game. “Let’s see how high you can get” and draw a line on the board. Act super stoked every time she gets higher. Or make lines on it with points and see how many points she can get. Or time it and see if she can break it. Turning things into games with goals and telling them how awesome it is they improved really pushes them. It’s also going to set up times they fail to reach their goal and get upset, which is a good thing. You can tell them it’s ok to fail, that’s how we learn. Tell her about something you failed at but kept practicing and got good at. Something she knows your good at, like reading or writing or some hobby. Tell her how bad you were at it but you just kept trying.

As long as she’s trying it’s not really a failure, it’s just practice. They’ll pick it up pretty quick and it’s good lessons. Learning how to fail on something small with no stakes is a good starting point.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Oh, drawing lines to show how far she gets is a good idea. We could just start over every time I switch the holds around too. Good call

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Done! I figure ill give her a month and see if she still uses it before I work on the incline on the other wall.
Screenshot_20211002-195800_Message+.jpg

Screenshot_20211003-122035_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Pumpkin patch weekend.
Screenshot_20211017-193101_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211017-193119_Gallery.jpg

Also got hit with this tonight.
"What does this say?"
"Ball"
"DADDY'S DRINKING BALL JUICE!"
Screenshot_20211017-193037_Gallery.jpg

• 4Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I'm finding that parenting volume 2 (grandpa) is liberating. I'm much better at not hovering unnecessarily. Plus it's fun to scare the parents. 9 months old and climbing has started.

IMG_20211012_183911_01.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users