Parent Thread

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
No, no desire limit his music time. Sorry I probably didn't explain enough. As much as I dislike Google we still use YouTube Music and thus my kids use it too. Like I said on their PC I have them locked down as far as searches screen time etc. The issue I see with a mobile device is that it will come with the Google sweet which includes chrome. I have no idea how to limit searches, game time etc on a mobile device. So I am asking for guidance on how to do exactly that. Does that make more sense?

If I were giving my kids a general purpose, Internet-enabled device but only wanted them to use a single service, I'd probably use MAC address filtering on my router to restrict those devices to whatever Google/YouTube domains are required. (And don't get cell service for them, obviously.) If you block the Play store and HTTP traffic it's going to take some ingenuity to misuse the device.

At the very worst that ingenuity will be highly educational. Most of the foundational stuff I know about computers I got from hacking around trying to circumvent home/school access restrictions.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
If I were giving my kids a general purpose, Internet-enabled device but only wanted them to use a single service, I'd probably use MAC address filtering on my router to restrict those devices to whatever Google/YouTube domains are required. (And don't get cell service for them, obviously.) If you block the Play store and HTTP traffic is going to take some ingenuity to misuse the device, and at the very worst that ingenuity will be highly educational.
Thanks for the suggestion! Problem is he wants to take it out of the house. At first glance I think Google Link will work for me.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So part of my son's monthly to do list from his preschool is a family movie night and he chose this animated movie called Strange World on Disney Plus. The movie starts by telling three back story of this rugged guy that's an explorer, always wanting to discover someplace new. He had a weakling son that seems to fail more often than not, but discovers electric for his village while out exploring with his father. PS - The father disappears after walking away on that same adventure to continue exploring.

Then the movie jumps 25 years in the future, and the kid is now the village chief or mayor. And is married to a dumpy black woman. They have a son and set up a decent life for themselves. Then the son is gay for... reasons. Fuck this shit, I'm out. I'm on my phone and I don't know how to leave the #EatShitDieFaggit, but I really want to.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So part of my son's monthly to do list from his preschool is a family movie night and he chose this animated movie called Strange World on Disney Plus. The movie starts by telling three back story of this rugged guy that's an explorer, always wanting to discover someplace new. He had a weakling son that seems to fail more often than not, but discovers electric for his village while out exploring with his father. PS - The father disappears after walking away on that same adventure to continue exploring.

Then the movie jumps 25 years in the future, and the kid is now the village chief or mayor. And is married to a dumpy black woman. They have a son and set up a decent life for themselves. Then the son is gay for... reasons. Fuck this shit, I'm out. I'm on my phone and I don't know how to leave the #EatShitDieFaggit, but I really want to.
Yeah dude don’t watch anything new on Disney+. Pretty much everything they’ve made for Disney+ is racist, pro-gay/trans, feminist, trash. Cancel that shit and review everything from Disney before you let him watch it.

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I want to turn this around a little and talk about dealing with parents as they age.

My wife's parents were both diagnosed with rapid onset Alzheimers about six months ago. We managed to find them an assisted living spot that was actually quite amazingly good (clean kitchens, really good people who work with them, people to come in every day to make sure they are clean, healthy, and taking their meds, all of what you'd want). Now that they have been there nearly a month, now that they are taking their meds like they should be doing (they haven't been for about 10 months as far as we can tell), they're functioning better. They're just fucking pissed that they were moved out of their house. They're angry, angry, angry. We had to take their cars away because they weren't able to find their way back to where they live. We had to take the bank/credit cards away because my diabetic father-in-law spent 70$ on candy at the corner store right near the place they are living.

Like I said, they're just angry. Their kids are working their asses off to help them. Getting them into this place, taking care of their house, getting it ready to sell and auction so that they have years of funds ready to go to pay for the (not cheap) place they are now living. Is there gratitude? No. My wife, who spent a week there just recently was told to "go the fuck away" because she wouldn't do exactly what they wanted her to do (bring a whole lot more furniture from their 2,500 square foot house to their 560 square foot living space, for example).

So I talked a long time with my wife and her siblings (brothers). It took me years to realize that my mother is a horrible person. Self centered, everything is about her, and her kids were an inconvenience. My wife is just now getting to the point where she is realizing this about her own parents. So are her siblings. They are all at the point where they're ready to say fine, and let them just rot and be completely fucked because they can't manage their refrigerator, let alone their financial future. But they are all doing what I believe is the right thing, and making sure they are going to live out their lives in comfort. There is absolutely no obligation to visit anymore. After spending two days there putting together furniture and hanging shelves and all that, my wife's parent's said she had never been to their new place. No recollection.

So, I'm sorry for the rant. But I'm curious what other's think of this. My wife's parent's are provided for. Somewhat by themselves, largely by us. They will be cared for, their health monitored, but they will not be getting a lot of visits from their children. They're already at a point where they have no idea who their grandchildren are. So visiting doesn't make a difference in their lives. And my wife and her siblings are realizing that they have never, not ever, been a priority to their parents. Especially the mother. She spent money they didn't have just to decorate their house. Always. Several times a year. But their kids couldn't have braces or dental appointments. Just one example. I won't go on any more, but my mother-in-law is the most passive aggressive person on the entire planet. Everything has to be her way. I've seen this for years, my wife and her siblings are seeing it more clearly now than ever before.

So, like I said, sorry for the rant. But WTF is our responsibility at this point? The parents are far away, we've spent weeks getting them into the spot they are, and they're just fucking angry. I understand in some ways what they are feeling, because all of their freedoms are being stripped. But holy moses on a stick they are ungrateful fucksticks. What do you guys think?

tldr; My parents-in-law are terrible people, their children are coming to terms with that, and now that they are in assisted living, what's the obligation to them other than making sure they have money to pay for their living situation and people to make them take their meds?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
tldr; My parents-in-law are terrible people, their children are coming to terms with that, and now that they are in assisted living, what's the obligation to them other than making sure they have money to pay for their living situation and people to make them take their meds?
Your ethical obligation to them is making sure they have money to pay for their living situation and people to make them take their meds.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I want to turn this around a little and talk about dealing with parents as they age.

My wife's parents were both diagnosed with rapid onset Alzheimers about six months ago. We managed to find them an assisted living spot that was actually quite amazingly good (clean kitchens, really good people who work with them, people to come in every day to make sure they are clean, healthy, and taking their meds, all of what you'd want). Now that they have been there nearly a month, now that they are taking their meds like they should be doing (they haven't been for about 10 months as far as we can tell), they're functioning better. They're just fucking pissed that they were moved out of their house. They're angry, angry, angry. We had to take their cars away because they weren't able to find their way back to where they live. We had to take the bank/credit cards away because my diabetic father-in-law spent 70$ on candy at the corner store right near the place they are living.

Like I said, they're just angry. Their kids are working their asses off to help them. Getting them into this place, taking care of their house, getting it ready to sell and auction so that they have years of funds ready to go to pay for the (not cheap) place they are now living. Is there gratitude? No. My wife, who spent a week there just recently was told to "go the fuck away" because she wouldn't do exactly what they wanted her to do (bring a whole lot more furniture from their 2,500 square foot house to their 560 square foot living space, for example).

So I talked a long time with my wife and her siblings (brothers). It took me years to realize that my mother is a horrible person. Self centered, everything is about her, and her kids were an inconvenience. My wife is just now getting to the point where she is realizing this about her own parents. So are her siblings. They are all at the point where they're ready to say fine, and let them just rot and be completely fucked because they can't manage their refrigerator, let alone their financial future. But they are all doing what I believe is the right thing, and making sure they are going to live out their lives in comfort. There is absolutely no obligation to visit anymore. After spending two days there putting together furniture and hanging shelves and all that, my wife's parent's said she had never been to their new place. No recollection.

So, I'm sorry for the rant. But I'm curious what other's think of this. My wife's parent's are provided for. Somewhat by themselves, largely by us. They will be cared for, their health monitored, but they will not be getting a lot of visits from their children. They're already at a point where they have no idea who their grandchildren are. So visiting doesn't make a difference in their lives. And my wife and her siblings are realizing that they have never, not ever, been a priority to their parents. Especially the mother. She spent money they didn't have just to decorate their house. Always. Several times a year. But their kids couldn't have braces or dental appointments. Just one example. I won't go on any more, but my mother-in-law is the most passive aggressive person on the entire planet. Everything has to be her way. I've seen this for years, my wife and her siblings are seeing it more clearly now than ever before.

So, like I said, sorry for the rant. But WTF is our responsibility at this point? The parents are far away, we've spent weeks getting them into the spot they are, and they're just fucking angry. I understand in some ways what they are feeling, because all of their freedoms are being stripped. But holy moses on a stick they are ungrateful fucksticks. What do you guys think?

The anger and the outbursts are all classic Alzheimer's symptoms so it's not really fair to factor that into them being "terrible people"

But as long as their needs are being met, then there really isn't any obligation past that. If visiting only makes everyone involved upset, then I don't see why there's any ethical dilemma at all.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Yeah, welcome to having boomers for parents. Lived pretty good lives, wasted their money so they have nothing for retirement/end of life planning. Had credit cards maxed all the time so they could buy new clothes and cars and TVs their whole lives.

I know not all boomers were that way but I have a few friends going through the same thing you are and it’s all very similar stories. My parents are going to be very similar. Was just a poorly planned generation.

• 1Solidarity

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, if they were terrible people before hand then I’m sure everything that’s going on with only exacerbate it. Alzheimer’s, and dementia change people, almost always for the worse. My wife’s grandmothers both started with Alzheimer’s and then eventually dementia and they were the sweetest people you could ever hope to meet…until both of those kicked in.

at the end of the day, no one’s ever going to be happy or grateful to be moved out of their home and into a “home”. Anger at themselves, their situation and the rest of the world are only natural and will amplify their previous negative traits.

I can’t imagine having either of those and I think I’d rather be put down then exist with either Alzheimer’s or dementia. I think though you are doing your best and even in the best of situations and even if they were the best of people, they wouldn’t see it that way.

Wnd of life shit is never easy and these things only make it worse. I think you did right by them and when they are lucid and aware, if they want to be shitty, let them. You all did your best and you acted in their best interests. That’s all that matters.

Captain Suave

This is why I'm going out on my own terms at the first sign of senility/dementia or terminal disease. My mother died early of cancer and fought to the bitter end at severe cost to everyone's quality of life (not that I hold it against her). I refuse to make my family deal with this.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
My wife's grandparents are both in their nineties and my mother in law takes care of them. They still live in the house they bought 70 years ago.

It hasn't been all time consuming for my mother in law but about every six months they have some sort of crisis that will require constant care from my mother in law and she'll get exhausted.

Just this past week both of them got sick and my mother-in-laws mother was constantly calling and wanting her to stay with them. MiL wasn't able to spend Easter with us. And my kids were supposed to stay at her house for a few days.

Both the grandparents have been admitted to the hospital for a type of RSV. My MiL is looking for assisted living places with skilled nursing but the cost is crazy. About 8k a month for assisted living and 18k a month for skilled nursing. If they want medicaid to pay for it they have to deplete all of the money and assets first which at the assisted living level would get them about 15 month, maybe 20 months if they sold their house but it is a 4 year wait for a Medicare bed.

All this has my wife and I making sure we'll have a good plan in place so we don't burden our kids with our care.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

My 8 year old daughter was taking shower today while the rest of the family was in the kitchen. From two rooms away we all hear a thunderous, prolonged fart followed by, "Oh noooo! It's a smelly one and I'm traaaaaaapped!" Lol.

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 2Double Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I'm having trouble finding a particular book and since it's for my 2yo grandson who is showing interest in reading I thought maybe someone here might have a clue how to find it. I've checked the usual sources. It's a basic reading book that me and all of my siblings used to learn to read and we used it on our kids. It's pretty torn up. I'm just looking for a good copy I can laminate or print to replace my copy

Shortcuts to reading you can teach your child by Joan Beck

A1FKzt5Bh8L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_~2.jpg

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
My 8 year old daughter was taking shower today while the rest of the family was in the kitchen. From two rooms away we all hear a thunderous, prolonged fart followed by, "Oh noooo! It's a smelly one and I'm traaaaaaapped!" Lol.
Shower farts have the highest fartality rate of all in-home deaths.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
I'm having trouble finding a particular book and since it's for my 2yo grandson who is showing interest in reading I thought maybe someone here might have a clue how to find it. I've checked the usual sources. It's a basic reading book that me and all of my siblings used to learn to read and we used it on our kids. It's pretty torn up. I'm just looking for a good copy I can laminate or print to replace my copy

View attachment 469536
Couldn't find the book. Found an ebay listing for clippings from the comic. Here is the original newspaper article.

Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 20-10-13 Chicago Tribune 16 Aug 1964 page 128.png

• 1Like

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider

View attachment 469536
You might luck out reaching out to the people here: John K King Books | Detroit | Used & Rare Books

They've got a giant warehouse of used books, but they're unfortunately not cataloged in any way that is searchable online.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
So we are done after 2 little monsters, both boys.

Whats the best suggestion on getting the Mrs taken care of after that? Pregnancy 1 had some left over skin stuff that is masked by the belly going back up with pregnancy 2, but that's gonna come back with a vengeance after this one.

Diet and exercise I'd wager doesn't deal with the left over hangin skin.

Is the only way to get a tummy tuck and laser scar removal?

Captain Suave

It may take a couple years, but moderate amounts of skin stretch does tighten up with good diet and exercise. YMMV if Mrs. Nirgon had a serious case. The scar varies a lot and may fade over a longer timeframe.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
3 kids, 0, 2 and 6. All my muscles are aching even those I didn't know existed. I wish I got them earlier, as I started at 35...

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So we are done after 2 little monsters, both boys.

Whats the best suggestion on getting the Mrs taken care of after that? Pregnancy 1 had some left over skin stuff that is masked by the belly going back up with pregnancy 2, but that's gonna come back with a vengeance after this one.

Diet and exercise I'd wager doesn't deal with the left over hangin skin.

Is the only way to get a tummy tuck and laser scar removal?
Tummy tuck to fix the skin/diastasis.
She can get a breast aug/lift at the same time if she’s considered it.