Parent Thread

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Got him a new therapist lined up for late next week. Baby steps.

With 4 kids it can be hard to find the time, but I'll consider that once I can get some other things sorted (therapy for him, myself, etc). He's 100lbs and I'm 5'10" and 250 so I have leverage in my favor in the short term. Gone are the days of carrying him up the stairs and shit though that's for sure.

For those not familiar, I've painted a picture of our situation in this thread previously... everyone's just a year or two older, different meds, different therapy, etc etc. Change is constant.

Boarding school for special needs children

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Any advice for getting kids to swallow pills? My 10 year old had a bad experience with an augmentin pill or something when their was no liquid option, she took it for 3 days fine then on the 4th day couldnt swallow it and got scared she was choking.

Now we have pills that are like the size of tic tacs and she is so worked up and anxious she won't even try. We've practiced with tic tacs so there is no pressure but she just lets it get super tiny before she even tries to swallow it. I tried taking my pills with her, giving her a couple options (water in mouth first, then pill, then drink more etc., and taking the pill with a spoon of ice cream) and she just gets it in her mouth and then spits it out without swallowing.
My kid uses applesauce

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Receive a message from the school for all children to complete their i-Ready.

It was a broadcast, so not directed, so might not even apply to us, but this is the first time I even heard of i-Ready. I dug through kid's things and found nothing on it. I did find notebooks and folders. All completely empty. The notebooks blank. just carrying around a heavy pack of nothing.

Report card is 95-100 in every subject.

Feels incorrect

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Report card is 95-100 in every subject.

Feels incorrect
Still in k-5? I was getting near perfect grades all through elementary school, then my first midterm of 6th grade I was suddenly getting almost straight Fs due to the sudden change in focus to homework

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Are boys hard to potty train or am I a retard of a parent?

My daughter is the oldest, and by the time she was two years old she was already going on her potty and was easy as hell to get her to use it. My oldest son... is far, far harder. He is three, will be four in March and this little dude gives absolutely no fucks about shitting himself. None of the tactics I used on my daughter work here. I've tried bribery, I've tried putting him in underwear instead of his pullups thinking he'd be uncomfortable. I've tried reading him books about it and everything else I could think of with no results. I think he knows what he should be doing. I've seen him get in the shower and hold himself while he pees down the drain. I really think he finds it funny or something IDK but I'm fucking tired of changing his shitty ass diapers.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

My daughter is the oldest, and by the time she was two years old she was already going on her potty and was easy as hell to get her to use it. My oldest son... is far, far harder. He is three, will be four in March and this little dude gives absolutely no fucks about shitting himself. None of the tactics I used on my daughter work here. I've tried bribery, I've tried putting him in underwear instead of his pullups thinking he'd be uncomfortable. I've tried reading him books about it and everything else I could think of with no results. I think he knows what he should be doing. I've seen him get in the shower and hold himself while he pees down the drain. I really think he finds it funny or something IDK but I'm fucking tired of changing his shitty ass diapers.
Yes, boys are much harder.

Ditch the diapers maybe? Maybe shitting his underwear a few times and having it roll down his legs would make him think twice if he’s doing it on purpose. We switched my kid out around age three and it made him stop from going and hiding somewhere and shitting his diaper on purpose but he still had accidents for years.

They get so hyped up and into whatever they’re doing they just try holding it until it’s an emergency then lose on the sprint to the toilet. Our doctor told us that it’s common for boys at even age 5 or 6 to not feel it until it’s too late.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
For some reason my daughter was harder to train. For my son, he would pee in the potty but never poop. We ended up ditching diapers and letting him mud up his pants. He learned real quick.

• 1Worf

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes my son was similar to all the others. Daughter took like a day. Son would wear underpants and pee in the toilet but never poop. For about 4 months he would ask for a pull up then go hide somewhere in the house to poop. Eventually we spent a long day refusing to let him wear one until he literally fell asleep sitting up and shit his pants. Then he went on the toilet from then on. He also had a funny habit of taking all of his clothes off when he went to the bathroom. The first day of preschool he walked out of the bathroom completely naked holding all of his clothes and asking one of the teachers to help him get dressed. We told them he’s never done that before but we also couldn’t stop laughing when the teachers told us what happened so I’m sure they didn’t believe us.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Arative

Vyemm Raider

My son was super hard to get him to shit on the pot. He peed no problem but wouldn't poop. We tried bribing too.

We started making him sit on the toilet in a pull up to poop. We also made a point of counting down how many pulls we had left and only let him have one when he had to poop. It was underwear otherwise even sleeping.

We even tried cutting a hole in a pull up to put on to poop. Eventually he just started going.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am glad to know he's not the only one. I was concerned that three going on four he should have long since been using the potty but it sounds like that's pretty normal. He's always been a pretty stubborn little kid.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah man kids are weird. My daughter is the stubborn one but she took about a day and a half and never had an accident since. My son is super chill goes with the flow and he took forever.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My middle son was the hardest, and it was weird. He wouldn't use the pot at home at all. We tried everything. When he was about 3 he went to preschool three days a week. After picking him up one day I apologised to the staff there that he wasn't potty-trained, and they all told me he used the potty every time and never needed changing. So he was doing it at preschool, but not at home. Well, we let him crap himself a few times and he decided it was better to use the pot.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I have a buddy that shits himself every time he’s on vacation and drinking. He’s 49. Your son’s doing fine.

• 8Worf
  • 2Double Worf
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: 10 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Still in k-5? I was getting near perfect grades all through elementary school, then my first midterm of 6th grade I was suddenly getting almost straight Fs due to the sudden change in focus to homework
After a few days the teacher got back to me. Apparently all students were issued a laptop with i-Ready etc loaded on them but they overlooked my child so this whole past semester they just exempted every assignment dealing with laptop

It's like that Louie CK skit. My clay is either a bomb or it's not

Those assignments are important or they're not. If they are, why the heck are they just stamping an A and denying that learning value
If they're not, why assign it at all

• 1WTF

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
meStevo meStevo I have nothing but respect, empathy and admiration for you and your wife. Thank you for being awesome involved parents! I wish more parents had your strength, conviction and commitment.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Appreciate it.

A brief update - he was accepted into a PHP (partial hospitalization program) and started on Thursday. For the next 4-6+ weeks we take him there and pick him up 9am-2:30pm, instead of school.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
I'd do something about this before he gets too big to handle. At 12 you can physically restrain him, at 15 or 16 it will be a lot harder. It sounds like you're doing the therapies and meds and whatnot, so I don't have any helpful advice, but this thing is going to come to a head soon. Going to be a difficult conversation where you have to decide if you guys can handle him or not.

I'd avoid calling the actual cops because if he fights them (he will) that could easily get out of hand.
He's going to end up crossing their paths sooner rather than later. There's nothing wrong with letting himself get plugged into the system because they have people who are trained in dealing with these situations, and as I've already said, he's going to end up crossing their paths anyway.

I don't know how good juvi is in his area, but the juvi where I grew up was a well run facility with counselors and the like. Might as well do it it now before he's big enough to start hurting people in big ways.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Kid used to love it when being silly with her, now shes 4 and suddenly it's become "dad, stop, that's stupid" what happened???

dsfsdf.gif

• 1Solidarity

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Kid used to love it when being silly with her, now shes 4 and suddenly it's become "dad, stop, that's stupid" what happened???

View attachment 509574
Welcome to the wonderful world of raising a daughter. The shifts in mood have come. One day I get "your jokes aren't funny dad" to "dad is the funniest person in the house", from an 8 year old.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users