Passengers (2016)

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
If we want to explore plot holes,
the gaping one is that Aurora said she was going back with the ship, meaning the ship must have ways to put people back into hypersleep.

Except that once they arrived on the planet they could of build one or set up something. I mean this wasn't the first planet they had colonized. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that their would be a port or plans for one.

Szlia

Not according to the guy who went through the shipping manifest! But as I said in my review, you better not think too much about it all because the sci-fi element is just here to create a situation and its conundrum for the romantic dramedy. If it was an actual sci-fi movie other themes would be explored, like, you know, pilots who are a thousand years old after 5 round trips or the colonist arriving on a populated planet because progress made for faster ships while they were traveling... things like that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The Captain of the ship said he had made trips like this a dozen or so times already. I didn't even think of that.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
This movie was crap. A beautiful backdrop to a mediocre love story.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Not according to the guy who went through the shipping manifest! But as I said in my review, you better not think too much about it all because the sci-fi element is just here to create a situation and its conundrum for the romantic dramedy. If it was an actual sci-fi movie other themes would be explored, like, you know, pilots who are a thousand years old after 5 round trips or the colonist arriving on a populated planet because progress made for faster ships while they were traveling... things like that.

That's because the planet was already colonized and the facilities needed to put people to sleep were already there. Besides, don't forget that he did eventually find a way to put someone in stasis with the auto-doc, but by then she was too deep in lurve and didn't wanna go back to sleep.

• 1Like

Szlia

I am not going to rewatch the movie to be sure Hoss Hoss , but I am reasonably certain the planet they go to is not colonized yet and
that the auto-doc thing is for medical emergencies, not the regular procedure to prepare people before they are moved to their hypersleep pod. The problem is with the lack of such regular procedure.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I'm 99% sure you're wrong about them being first. They mention that other people are already there a couple times, and did you notice that the inventory was full of replacement parts for farm equipment? Not farm equipment, but replacement parts.

Auto doc may have been for emergencies, but the point is she still had the chance to go to sleep until they reached the planet. Also, I'm done spoilering for this movie. If you waited this long to see it, then you need to exercise some self control and not open threads about it.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
they talk about other colony ships, but I think they were all DIFFERENT colony planets. Aurora does mention a specific colonization endeavor that made the company 300 trillion dollars or whatever. I remember her mentioning a specific planet, but maybe i'm wrong.

Also, they never mention the replacement parts being for farm equipment vs actual farm equipment. Chris Pratt just says "the ship is loaded with replacement parts for everything"

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Yes there had been another colony planet. They were actually going to "XXXX 2". Can't remember WTF the colonies were being called, but this one was #2.

Unless one of us is willing to rewatch the show, we're going to have to agree to disagree. I say they specifically said there were already people on this planet. Pratt mentioned the spare parts multiple times. One of those times, he just said 'spare parts for everything' you're remembering. The specific mention of farming equipment was before that one I think.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Watched this movie last night and I really liked it, although I would have written a completely different ending.

I would have had Pratt die. The ship goes back to normal. Add another 10 minute collage of Aurora doing what Pratt did for a year, and give her the same decision: Either open a pod to not be alone, or jump off the ship. Poetic irony would be her eating her own shit from an ego stand point when she opens up a pod and does the same thing to escape complete and utter loneliness.

Then at the end of that...

Show the corpses laying by the tree with notes saying, "You're welcome"

Goatface

anyone found any of the deleted scenes online?
apparently there is an extended ending

was reading slashfilms had a review of the original script where while the ship was breaking down. it ejected all the pods into space
there was also a gene bank of thousands of egg and sperm samples which they used to repopulate the ship.

anyway, i was disappointed with the movie, they took the easy way to make situations.

really wished that had asked Fishburne how "old" he was. that is one of my favorite aspects of suspended animation travel.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
...really wished that had asked Fishburne how "old" he was. that is one of my favorite aspects of suspended animation travel.

One of the glaring plot holes of the movies was Fishburne bullshit "piloted and completed the trip multiple times". I figure a pilot could go to school, train half his life to be commander of one of the most advanced creations man has ever built. You get put in deep freeze, get passengers to destination, take a long vacation, re-freeze and send you and new passengers on the return journey back to Earth. By the time you have made the entire return journey, you have aged maybe a decade while Earth has advanced ~250 YEARS in technology. You return back to Earth and you basically know fuck all about modern tech. A company with any sense would train someone brought up in that world of tech, send them there and back at the very most. Hell, a civilization that can master interstellar travel of those distances should have fully automated spacecraft, but that is besides the point...

Dumb chick flick movie in space.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just finished watching because lazy Sunday movie day... Didn't hate it, wasn't great. Most realistic part of the whole thing was her forgiving him and falling in love, because bitches be crazy.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
One of the glaring plot holes of the movies was Fishburne bullshit "piloted and completed the trip multiple times". I figure a pilot could go to school, train half his life to be commander of one of the most advanced creations man has ever built. You get put in deep freeze, get passengers to destination, take a long vacation, re-freeze and send you and new passengers on the return journey back to Earth. By the time you have made the entire return journey, you have aged maybe a decade while Earth has advanced ~250 YEARS in technology. You return back to Earth and you basically know fuck all about modern tech. A company with any sense would train someone brought up in that world of tech, send them there and back at the very most. Hell, a civilization that can master interstellar travel of those distances should have fully automated spacecraft, but that is besides the point...

Dumb chick flick movie in space.

If they use the same ship to save money, there's not really a lot of new tech he needs to learn. Is there? I think the plothole is that in that time, surely they've mastered faster travel making those ships obsolete mid journey.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Was meh. Jennifer Lawrence is cute but I hate her acting. Pratt was ok. Should have had a different epilogue: show them 20 years later with him dead from multiple stab wounds, because as Intrinsic Intrinsic said, bitches be crazy, and they never forget.

• 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
True story, I watched The Girl on the Train immediately after this. Thought I had reached the end of crazy chicks.

Watched Assassin's Creed last... It wasn't the best lazy Sunday movie day in retrospect.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
I really liked this movie. I thought the set was fantastically done and beautiful. I'm fairly happy with how they chose to end it. Not a fan of JLaw at all, but this is the first movie I actually kinda liked her in.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
If they use the same ship to save money, there's not really a lot of new tech he needs to learn. Is there? I think the plothole is that in that time, surely they've mastered faster travel making those ships obsolete mid journey.

maybe in the future they are too compassionate to kill all their retards, so they stick them on a ship and tell them they are going to a new planet and the ship just goes back and forth between two planets forever

which means future humanity must be AWESOME if jlaw and chris pratt are their retards

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Thought it was decent to good.

It definitely had some problems, but a lot of sci fi does. It was kind of funny where towards the end I said to my wife, "now that they can access the crew cabins, they should just wake them up to fix it." Sure enough, the next scene they're both in the engineering bay or whatever and Pratt says there's not enough time to wake them up.

So on an enjoyment level, I liked it. But there were enough strange decisions and plot holes that it got distracting where I can't say it was really good.