Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I honestly didn't have a problem with screenwide Cyclone. I'd like to know the specifics as to why they did. Maybe it doesn't fit the "flavor" of melee. Maybe they got spooked by 40% of the meta playing Cyclone(not CoC or CwC). Maybe they misinterpreted the data because Cyclone was the only melee skill given a bonafide makeover that patch.

Ok, that's not completely fair, lots of other melee skills were tried that patch and were overshadowed by Cyclone. I imagine if Pulverize was still more area instead of increased, you'd be seeing more melee variety.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Id like Fortify to get a shorter duration but stacks like winterorb. And then buff it by giving a bigger dmg reduction corresponding to your amount of stacks.

In essence i'd like fortify to be an actual survival equalizer between melee and range but as long as its so easy for range builds to use they cant buff it.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I honestly didn't have a problem with screenwide Cyclone. I'd like to know the specifics as to why they did. Maybe it doesn't fit the "flavor" of melee. Maybe they got spooked by 40% of the meta playing Cyclone(not CoC or CwC). Maybe they misinterpreted the data because Cyclone was the only melee skill given a bonafide makeover that patch.

Ok, that's not completely fair, lots of other melee skills were tried that patch and were overshadowed by Cyclone. I imagine if Pulverize was still more area instead of increased, you'd be seeing more melee variety.

I started legion with Lacerate and it was pretty good, I was in red maps and doing quite well and it felt nice. The only reason I stopped that build was a mirror drop and then I went cyclone as i could actually afford to do it properly with a HH.

Might well have stayed lacerate if that hadn't happened as it was doing just fine, it just wasn't as good as cyclone was.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Id like Fortify to get a shorter duration but stacks like winterorb. And then buff it by giving a bigger dmg reduction corresponding to your amount of stacks.

In essence i'd like fortify to be an actual survival equalizer between melee and range but as long as its so easy for range builds to use they cant buff it.

You would be unkillable on something like a neb jugg if this happened.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
To make melee viable, you’re going to have reign in spells, ranged, and triggers. That’s going to cause a massive uproar. They’re also going to have to redo some of the buffs to content and just rethink certain mechanics.

otherwise, the only way to make it equivalent is Screenwide melee skills. Screenwide cyclone did look absurd.

I think finding some ways to make melee guard skills more powerful or maybe linking them to a mechanic like arcane cloak to mana would be a way to go. Right now, people just find ways to incorporate survival mechanics to make non-melee better.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea I'm not sure you can "fix" melee given the current state of the game. Just the nature of having to stop and attack a pack of mobs at all means that the entire swath of skills that operate that way are basically not viable.

Cyclone sort of works because you just never stop, but it's barely a melee skill anyway. Lacerate is probably the only other "good" melee skill and again, that's not even really a melee skill either given the size of it's AE. As good as lacerate is though the difference in clear speed between Lacerate and something like brands or minions or any of a dozen bow skills is laughable really.

The crazy part is a lot of the strike skills are not even that bad? At least in terms of like raw DPS potential. The issue is there's not really any way to make them competitive in terms of gameplay smoothness and clear speed just due to their very nature. And that doesn't even get in to the realities of having to get up on top of mobs and how much more danger you are in constantly just to use your attacks. Fortify isn't even close to enough to make up the survivability gap provided by just never being in range of most mobs in the first place, not to mention how it is a bad DPS link to begin with and then requires some amount more tree investment in. And then yea, casters just slap it in shield charge anyway.

Just playing with the numbers on skills isn't gonna change anything really, you'd have to redesign the reward structure of maps entirely and weight it all massively to the boss or some other smaller number of encounters within the map. Barring any massive conceptual overhauls to the way mapping flows I just don't see melee ever being "good" outside of a few specific cases.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I am by no means a melee master in this game, but I play cyclone a lot and other things, and I gotta say the simple fact that this game is all about kill shit ASAP and avoid being touched is why melee is never going to be viable without some extreme defensive boosts. It might be viable in some mechanics, but not in general. If you could be stunned while cycloning, it would make the skill worthless TBH. The only reason it's worth it still is that you can't be stunned.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Really hope this mechanic, at least in its current form, does not go core. I'm enjoying the new content but only because it is new. The inability to stop and pickup the loot I like to pickup is not at all relaxing.

Agree wholeheartedly. I liked the Simulacrum because it dropped the loot at the end of killing. That would be a simple fix to not make the mechanic feel too go-go-go.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
All this is reminding me on why I planned to skip this league. I love melee. And it sucks ass here.

the only fix would be to completely upend the economy design away from clear speed. That will never happen since the economy is going to dictate that profit and efficiency win.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So the POB fork added support for the new snipe helmet.

INFINITY DAMAGE

It was pretty easy to simulate it beforehand by editing the helmet.

720 more Puncture Damage
80% more Puncture Attack Speed

Whoever implemented Snipe support screwed up. No way did my starter build jump from 3.7M to 27M bleed dps. I think it's applying the bonus from snipe to individual bleeds and then again to overall dps. Also, it's not showing the attack speed gain from channeling, so you get a skewed idea that's really slow to charge up.

Still, even that aside, wasn't my favorite way to sit for 1.7s and aim one tiny arrow.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I dunno, the POB calculations feel pretty accurate in game. A single 6 charge snipe destroys every conqueror in one hit and phases Sirus for me right now.

Hitting Sirus with a full 6 charge in the final phase is another matter heh.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Are there any builds that can do screen-clearing goodness with decent ST and enough tankiness for delerium that also only cost ~15 ex or less?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I dunno, the POB calculations feel pretty accurate in game. A single 6 charge snipe destroys every conqueror in one hit and phases Sirus for me right now.

Hitting Sirus with a full 6 charge in the final phase is another matter heh.
Ah, it's total damage per bleed, that's fucking stupid and they should remove that.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have a link to a "budget" Herald stacking build? I can't seem to make one myself, even if it is in the 50ex range, that makes me want to play the build. Obviously, the resists, phys mitigation, and regen are great, but I can never get the ES and DPS into amazing categories.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Ah, it's total damage per bleed, that's fucking stupid and they should remove that.

Yea I wonder if this survives next league. The damage is pretty absurd, but it's also real clunky versus certain fights like uber elder or sirus just due to how much the targets move around.

Might be a decent build to league start with though, as split arrow or rain of arrows will just destroy story and carry you pretty far in early maps with basically 0 gear, then just have snipe as an option later on when you hit endgame.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yea I wonder if this survives next league. The damage is pretty absurd, but it's also real clunky versus certain fights like uber elder or sirus just due to how much the targets move around.

Might be a decent build to league start with though, as split arrow or rain of arrows will just destroy story and carry you pretty far in early maps with basically 0 gear, then just have snipe as an option later on when you hit endgame.
Oh, I wasn't referring to the helmet itself. Stupid pronouns! On the main display of PoB, almost everything except the first line is on a per second basis. So to stick a "total bleed damage" after a bunch of "per second"...idk, maybe I just can't read.

Helmet is too niche to get nerfed at this point. It's essentially for puncture. Also, I did not find clearing with a ranged bleed build to be satisfying. Split arrow does not have enough pack penetration even with 4 pierces, causing you to have to wait for the bleeding part of the pack to die before you can get bleeds on the remainder. Rain of Arrows is just kinda anemic on damage.

To be fair, 3.10 is worse on underperforming builds than even 3.9 was. Kinda why I'm saying fuckit, rolling a herald stacker, and then hope both it(it is) and the rest of this league goes away in a couple months.

Delirium mechanic, specifically the chunky rares that make your clearing skill feel bad, would be fine if you didn't have the pressure to clear clear clear.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea it's pretty wild just how awful a lot of builds feel in delirium content.

At this point I just use a single orb on every red map so I can play whatever mostly normally, but that's not really a viable solution given how rare they are.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
TBH I really understand the loot situation, given the mechanic covering the whole map, having to go back is important or else it really takes away from a long-standing part of the game and will cause people next league to want it forever lol. However, I feel this is a bad design overall, even if it makes sense. You shouldn't design league content that requires rushing the entire map and have to go back to collect loot, and it's even more of a slap in the face to pull the "This is why you have loot filters" bullshit on the playerbase as your excuse.