Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Almost every build has mods it cannot do. The cost to reroll is so insignificant that it really shouldn't be a reason to play one build over the other. Sure, you'll brick a few super juiced maps, but that doesn't matter much either because the game shits out maps now.

That said, chaos DOT builds usually have the least amount of brick map mods.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Unless you're like a pure chaos dmg build, or purely dots with no hits or a miner. You'll have map mods you cant do

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I've never got the filterblade deal to work right to get the neversink filter, always have to install it manually. Sucks.

I can't imagine how long my download is going to be, haven't updated in a few leagues.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you want to ignore map mods, make a curse immune chaos build with massive amounts of life gain on hit , and utilize blood magic or have a source mana gain on hit or some other source of mana. This would basically negate all the worst mods (reflect, no regen , no leech) Not sure if such a build exists but may be fun to try to theorycraft one. However it’s far more practical to just make a speed killer build and either roll over or sell shitty mod maps

Borzak

Any links to neversink. I can't get any of the shit to download either filterblade or off github.

Borzak

I used to just download a file with all the different ones, strict, semi strict etc...I haven't found filterblade helpful at all, ever.

Oh well won't need a filter to start off.

Nevermind found it.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Never played PoE but I was a big Diablo 2 fan back in the day and I'm curious to check this out with the new launch but it seems like there's an incredible amount of foresight and planning that needs to go into building a character. How fucked would I be if I just winged it?
Most guides are overly complex.

You just need to know:
Gem Links
Skill Tree including Ascendancy Class
Any specific Uniques the build needs

If you just go in and think "I'm going to make an Archer", you roll Ranger, try out the Bow skills and stay with what you like, take half offensive and half defensive passives and whatever class sounds most Bow friendly... you'll be fine.

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Never played PoE but I was a big Diablo 2 fan back in the day and I'm curious to check this out with the new launch but it seems like there's an incredible amount of foresight and planning that needs to go into building a character. How fucked would I be if I just winged it?

It's hard to fuck up to the point of making your character unplayable in that sense of fucked. You definitely won't know which passives are the super value ones to path to without some knowledge and planning.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
do not listen to chris or jox

go to the forums and look up builds that say "league starter" or "cheap" or "newbie friendly" and watch the videos of the gameplay, pick one that looks like it has gameplay that appeals to you and follow that guide.

it's easily possible to make your character near unplayable if you wing it as a new player

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
do not listen to chris or jox

go to the forums and look up builds that say "league starter" or "cheap" or "newbie friendly" and watch the videos of the gameplay, pick one that looks like it has gameplay that appeals to you and follow that guide.

it's easily possible to make your character near unplayable if you wing it as a new player

Especially if you aren't in a guild, you get a ton of respec orbs but its a bitch and a half to un-spec your entire tree and then have to pickup gear accordingly. Usually at that point, its just as easy (if not easier) to roll a new char with better guidance in mind.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Plenty of room in the FoH PoE guild if anyone wants to join up for the league! There will be about 20 of us that play every fucking day with plenty of answers or stuff you might need.

Just lemme know and i can add you later tonight or tomorrow or whatever!

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider

I don't think thats such a bad thing as long as you're having fun. Your build can be bad and take 30 hours to maps, but if you're having fun then so what? Depends on what your expectations are.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Plenty of room in the FoH PoE guild if anyone wants to join up for the league! There will be about 20 of us that play every fucking day with plenty of answers or stuff you might need.

Just lemme know and i can add you later tonight or tomorrow or whatever!
Which server do you guys play on?

Borzak

I didn't use a guide to start off with in the first league. I got to the point I would never die, but never kill anything on the other hand.

Borzak

Which server do you guys play on?

League server, standard is the place of very hard to trade and super inflaed prices as all the items and currency from each league get rolled over there. The new league today will be much much more populated than standard. Standard only sees large amounts of people when they take down the league for a day or two at the end and nowhere else to log in.

So harvest softcore will have the largest amount of poeple, harvest self funded if you want to craft and loot all your stuff and do no trading, or soul harvest if you want to play where if you die league is over, start a new character.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I had a build in... metamorph that couldn't kill any boss that had lifesteal/life regen mods, its definitely a weird thing when you go to kill something and its life just... straight doesn't move.

Reminds me of D2 when mobs had actual immunity to shit

Borzak

The better starting builds like the arc one listed here a day or two ago will have info on how the build works, all the gems and links you need, what to look for in each slot, and a download for path of building, and a separate area if you want to view what to get in each act. Don't need it, just up to you how fast you want to go and if you want stuff spelled out. It helps if you are new. Leagues keep getting more and more complicated cause they keep rolling stuff from one league into new ones.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Metamorph had some fucky shit early on with regen stacking, and even later just due to the sheer amount of hp the mobs could have.

Builds nowadays need quite a lot of damage and honestly extracting good damage out of all the intertwinned mechanics require a fair bit of reading up to understand, and the big trap is you might be low on dmg and think "I have to take more damage passives" when quite often you want to focus a fair bit of your passive to defenses and scale your damage via side mechanics(shit like curses, auras, heralds, skitterbots, flesh and stone maim, wither, EE and so on which aren't always super obvious).