Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

Someone tell me how stupid this idea is: standard HoP/Dom Blow Guardian but instead of HoP, you run Summon Skellies in your helm and 4W Triad Grip. I mean, I guess you wouldn't need to ditch HoP in terms of a build concept, but I have no idea how you would fit all of those gems in.

Maybe this is meant more for skelemancers.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea scream skellies to me. Pretty easy to hit 100% phys > chaos conversion with just a 3w triad and a cluster jewel, plus extra unholy might damage on top of that.

The actual damage on the sword isn't too much higher than gem skeletons I don't think, but the attack speed is like more than double no? Base skellies are like .6aps or some trash?

Not as if necros aren't just cycloning around already, so at least worth trying it out I'd wager.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
PoB says skeletons have a base APS of 1.25s.

What do skelemancers use for clear...zombies? How do they fare versus dom blow sentinels?

WTF aura do you use to support chaos hit builds?!?! Skitterbots and Haste? Gross.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Hmmm wiki says .8aps, but who really knows since you can't actually see any of that info in game.

Them wielding a sword would mean more melee strike range too no? Ultimately this is probably just worse than the usual +gem level stacking, but it's at least interesting.

Does triple damage scale flat damage x3? Potentially interesting to just mass stack abyss jewels then? Or even just do something stupid like run anger to triple the added flat fire heh.

Xevy

Log Wizard
My crew has been thinking about it. Base attack speed for a 20 skelly gem is 0.8 APS, so with a max roll you're looking at 2x the attack speed. The base damage on the sword is with Unholy Might and a maxish roll makes it something like 1250 dps on a 20 skeleton (including chaos damage, not including withering etc) vs the 1450 dps of a normal skeleton at lvl 20. However, the APS being twice as good means that flat phys absyssal jewels should fucking dominate and are very easy to roll with alts or jaggeds (only 3 phys rolls, 1 pre, 2 suff).

In terms of builds hitting every 4 seconds isn't too bad especially with the plethora of new physical ranged skills. Spec throw slow proj, venom gyre, static strike, lancing steel, shattering steel (whatever it's called now), etc etc. Cyclone MAY seem like the classic go-to, but you'll have to cyclone, summon, and cyclone depending on skellies defense capabilities and especially versus big bosses that can be a bit tedious. The ranged skills let you just essentially "cast" a physical attack every so often at a safe distance.

Most builds will still probably want to run zombies or spectres for garbage clear. I personally love Montregul's because of the Zombie explode clear, but last league was the first one I didn't play a summoner so I believe there's a lot more clear capability now. Spectres are still good even on a 4 link and especially a 6 link. Hungry Specs will probably power clear through any maps once your gems are appropriate level. That way you can just save skellies for burn bosses, syndicate dicks, etc.

Haven't looked at Necro Aegis, but there should potentially be some very interesting shields you could use with these guys to really fuck shit up. Just Great Old One's Ward comes to mind as an easy supe up to damage.

4W Triads always went for a decent amount of ex, but you could probably Vorici 3 fairly easily. Just remember if you do that you're basically going to have to work with any other minions outside spell casting types as chaos damage as well. So zombies will be chaos and pure phys spectres. Solar Guards/Lightning Whippers won't be as good for synergy at that point.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Pretty sure it's 1.25 APS. Some nerd would have corrected that in PoB long ago if it was wrong.

Is there some weird interaction that prevents using Dom Blow being good with Skellies? Not saying I want to necessarily. Minions are probably my least played archetype in this game.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That sounds tedious as fuck tbh, skeletons are ok when they're the only thing you cast(besides offerings every now and then, if you do that manually) but having to both keep a "recently" buff up and summon skeletons is gonna be annoying. Also have to remember you're trading a minion wand for this, so you're losing on a very large chunk of damage stats, pretty important when comparing damage.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Pretty sure it's 1.25 APS. Some nerd would have corrected that in PoB long ago if it was wrong.

Is there some weird interaction that prevents using Dom Blow being good with Skellies? Not saying I want to necessarily. Minions are probably my least played archetype in this game.
You're right. It's 0.8 attack time which is 1.25 APS.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

I want to do stuff with Flame Wall but I'm a potato. How quickly will the actual good players figure out if there's good things to do with it and what those things are?
i was just going over the patch notes. and flamewall is what stood out to me as well. yeah, I'm not sure the state of things. I'll need to see its gem. only burning damage, like scorching ray? or is it a hit and then burn, like flame dash?
what kind of numbers does it have? is it a primary skill option, or is it purely support? a lame version of orb of storms.

necro burning build likely, if I do that.

Void sphere also seems cool.

mark changes fucking with my head.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
i was just going over the patch notes. and flamewall is what stood out to me as well. yeah, I'm not sure the state of things. I'll need to see its gem. only burning damage, like scorching ray? or is it a hit and then burn, like flame dash?
what kind of numbers does it have? is it a primary skill option, or is it purely support? a lame version of orb of storms.

necro burning build likely, if I do that.

Void sphere also seems cool.

mark changes fucking with my head.
Directly, flame wall only causes burning damage. It adds flat fire damage to any projectile that passes through it as well as letting those projectiles apply the same burning damage to anything they hit.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Minions, totems, mines, party members, etc. Basically, any projectile that passes through the wall that wasn't fired by an enemy.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
looking for some help on this meme all uniques build im trying to make work. any tips?

pastebin.com/603JjzMX

its a low life build strength stacking. can be min maxed much more than this on the strength but i wanted to start out with relatively cheaper items
im not sure what skill to use, the arma brand is a placeholder. curious to see what blazing salvo will look like

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

Boring, flame wall lasts almost as long as the trigger weapon enchant. And the flat added fire damage is less than 50% of Immolate Support. I was really hoping for something much more potent that would reward more frequent casting. Like spellslinger.

1 addendum to an earlier post, looks like Flame Wall directly causes burning while standing in it, AND will apply another secondary burning. The secondary dot is what projectiles can spread.

The secondary burn looks potent. I don't know how many builds focus on just burning damage though. Like, does an ignite build need more burning damage to help it clear when they all use prolif anyway?

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wanna use asenath chant helm in about all my future bow builds heh. Dunno if it's totally worthwhile though over other helmet options but free flamewall, frost shields, sigils and void sphere's (or just a curse or whatever) just appeal to me atm.

I always end up wanting to play the new skill for league start even if i know i shouldn't and there are existing skills i haven't touched that are known to be good. Like right now i want to drop all my plans and play self cast inq blazing salvo as league start, double dip on pinpoint and intensify scaling. Even if i haven't run the numbers or anything.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Man the summoner gems quality are all more or less trash, either just basic stats or just copy pasted(all the golems are the same and don't really change anything, they're just better for damage builds). Don't know if I want to bother with this league, might just wait a week or two for drops to be buffed and see how the meta pans out.

Caliane

Boring, flame wall lasts almost as long as the trigger weapon enchant. And the flat added fire damage is less than 50% of Immolate Support. I was really hoping for something much more potent that would reward more frequent casting. Like spellslinger.

1 addendum to an earlier post, looks like Flame Wall directly causes burning while standing in it, AND will apply another secondary burning. The secondary dot is what projectiles can spread.

The secondary burn looks potent. I don't know how many builds focus on just burning damage though. Like, does an ignite build need more burning damage to help it clear when they all use prolif anyway?
yeah.
Scorching ray is 439.4 base fire damage/sec. and adds 60% of damage each stage. max 8 stages. 2282/s at 8 stages. +fire exposure -25% fire resist.

flame wall is, 456. 3 base fire damage/sec. and, 1825 base fire damage/sec secondary debuff. 78-117 added fire damage to hits with projectiles.

So, JUST the added burning damage, is more then a 7 stage scorching ray... instantly. That is pretty, holy shit. a direct hit, with ground burning, puts it over an 8 stage scorching ray.
(scorching ray 7 stages is 1843.8 )
burning from multiple sources will stack. burning from the same source won't. and burning is not ignite. burning is not an ailment. spell cascade won't work. but the ground effect, and secondary burning will. as well should, burning arrow+flame wall burnings stack.

the burning is quite impressive, the flat added damage doesnt seem to be. and yeah, burning rewards slow hits, added flat rewards fast ones.

seems like a reverse spell totem skill. 6 link it as main skill. cast it. But, then have a secondary CHAINING projectile skill to target with.
So a two button press to kill anything. def a bit slow. I guess we could spellslinger it. slow attack is fine. added spell damage from spellslinger is useless though.

the added fire damage fucks up many EE builds. you'd have to flame wall, arc, and let minions fire projectiles.

theres obviously a number of fire bows, for bow options. might be great with the meme mirror archer.. the added fire, and burning would be a massive damage buff I think.

cast while channeling? winter orb, and scourge arrow. cwc, cold to fire, winterorb... seems like its alot of gems to just autocast... but, idk maybe.
coc. maybe. but burning can't crit. so seems like poor synergy.

Last edited: