Path of Exile

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You can easily stack double that if you take advantage of not killing recently on abyss jewels. There's a Jugg Siege Ballista build based on that and those new boots. Siege Ballista kinda suck for clearing though.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
so, mirror #2 from rituals.

1614221732649.png

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Splash the Pot
Reactions: 6 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have experience with improving the clear on Earthshatter? Impaler + Great Old One gloves(impale damage explodes on death) is pretty good, but fucks over your single target. I'm actually a bit surprised how build polarizing Impaler is.

I'm trying out the auto warcry from that build listed below. I think his single target is hard carried by how ridiculous his gear is, so I'm looking into Earthshatter instead. Even with a warcry going off every second, it's quite easy to Earthshatter and then move out of range for the next warcry to shatter the spikes you're leaving behind to clean up stragglers.

How many spikes typically overlap on a humanoid target?

Little side tangent: starting to get annoyed at the build diversity in this game. I mean, I love it, but it also makes the compulsive side of me think there's some build out there that solve the problems of my current build. Wish I knew how to stick with a build and be content with just getting one shot a few times a night.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
As mentioned in chat last night: Presenting the Arn's Hurry Up and Wait Slayer build! I also thought about calling it the '6-pack of Stones' build, but I don't think that's as catchy.

It's not perfected due to items being a mix of what I have (cheap) and what I could reasonably expect to get (cheap), but it's the basic gist of what I'm working towards. I started out trying to go crit but it was just too annoying to gear and felt totally gimped on conquerors/bosses if you didn't crit them for half their health so I'm now working towards this RT + impale build.

The playstyle is the selling point IMO. You get off a ~1sec sunder and then dash follow the wave which goes 1.5 - 2 screens worth of destruction as long as seismic cry is giving you increased area. For bosses you take a few secs to power up a few warcries for charges and then go in. Also check out the pob defensive numbers with Vaal Grace up, lol. I haven't tested vaal grace yet, but it looks to make the build almost immortal for 10 secs. Though I'm sure I'll find a way to break that assumption :(

I've also been experimenting with getting sunder to have permanent huge knockback. It's kind of a bitch tho due to only having KB distance from the fending nodes on the tree and from the KB support gem. I've got 88% chance to KB on exerted attacks from divergent seismic cry so that solves a past issue with %chance, but getting the max distance from those 2 things really seems like it's not worth it for this build. Maybe a crimson dance bleed build that can stack max bleeds with 1 sunder button press? Dunno, but that's a lot different than this one since with Arn's it's all about triple damage hits.

Anyway, what do we think? Lots of room for improvement from the GG crafters we have here, but I'm not one of those :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

stankwoo

Silver Knight of the Realm
Man this game is fucking awesome once you start getting the hang of things.

I made a goal of wanting to get to the highest tier maps and hopefully progress from there. Following a build guide for Toxic Rain and was just playing casually. Fast forward a few days and I have: Path of Building, POE Awakened, POE lurker, using the POE trade site, and POEMap.live. My buddy sent me over a website for craft of exile and I felt like a drug addict being offered the new big thing.

I am level 88 and at 87 percent atlas completion. Slowly getting currency and upgrading my gear. I was buying yellow maps from Zana and other players and was just mega confused on why I wasn't getting any drops in that tier while running those maps. I ask my buddy how to expand my atlas page so I can see the red and yellow maps. He asked me where my "watchstones" were and I replied "watchstones?" Got an instant "holy shit lmao" reply.

FML! Oh well, I got them now and getting into the next tier of maps. Just trying to focus on this build but sometimes it is hard when I see other badass builds.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This game is the closest thing to pure gaming heroin since vanilla through Wotlk wow.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
This game is the closest thing to pure gaming heroin since vanilla through Wotlk wow.
Sometimes I think that and consider dropping the game for that reason. But then I go waste my time doing something else in between leagues anyway.

PoE addicting? Gamers lack motivation and discipline? Both?

• 1Solidarity

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
So finished the 36 challenges for the first time in a few leagues and got to level 100 for the first time ever by valdo harbies.
Now i don't know if i want to call it quits so i'm not burned out before next league or harvest my gear to perfect or start a new build.

• 1Solidarity

Lightning Fast
Does anyone know how much HP/life the various bosses have? Specifically conquerors and Sirus. I seem to recall one of the streamers saying Shaper had 40M hp but I can't seem to find a list of stats for this on a search just yet.

Reason I ask is that I plugged Earthshatter into my build and it's saying that if you hit a boss with 15 spikes it's like 40M damage... unless I'm reading it wrong.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Sirus is around 70-75M HP, so is Shaper. Not sure on Maven or Conquerors.

Very unlikely for all spikes in one set to hit a humanoid target. There's overlap for sure, just not sure what the average count is.

• 1Solidarity

Lightning Fast
Sirus is around 70-75M HP, so is Shaper. Not sure on Maven or Conquerors.

Very unlikely for all spikes in one set to hit a humanoid target. There's overlap for sure, just not sure what the average count is.
Ya I seem to remember that was one of the nerfs recently, to make it so ES couldn't overlap all 5 spikes per hit like it could originally.

Still though, that might be an option for the tough bosses to just wreck them faster: swap in ES. It's not necessary for map bosses though IMO.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Ya I seem to remember that was one of the nerfs recently, to make it so ES couldn't overlap all 5 spikes per hit like it could originally.

Still though, that might be an option for the tough bosses to just wreck them faster: swap in ES. It's not necessary for map bosses though IMO.
Sunder that good for clear? I'll admit I haven't even tried it once since they remade it.

I can't say with any certainty that Earthshatter reliably hit with all 5 spikes before 3.13. Just that they made it less reliable. Even then, if you get 3 spikes, it's something silly like 400% weapon damage per use, when factoring in skill attack speed modifiers.

• 1Solidarity

Lightning Fast
Sunder that good for clear? I'll admit I haven't even tried it once since they remade it.

I can't say with any certainty that Earthshatter reliably hit with all 5 spikes before 3.13. Just that they made it less reliable. Even then, if you get 3 spikes, it's something silly like 400% weapon damage per use, when factoring in skill attack speed modifiers.
Well, I have the max reduced wave delay you can get without doing quality shenanigans (helm enchant + anomalous gem) and I've set it up for it to basically kill everything in one wave which you can follow. For open maps, it's kind of meh and it's also a little annoying on maps that have twists and turns because the skill 'dead ends' for lack of a better term if you don't aim it quite right. Where it shines is corridor style maps and delving. With enough damage per hit you can really get going fast and you're clearing 1.5 - 2 screens at a time per sunder. Tap sunder - dash follow the wave and keep warcries up.

The advanced technique for tougher stuff in open maps is to tap - follow one direction then repeat back the opposite direction to clear anything you might have missed that's following you. Likely this wouldn't be necessary with an explode chest but I don't have that. The other idea I've had in this regard is to do something like a 'box pattern' clear for open maps. That being tap - follow right -> tap - follow down -> tap - follow left -> tap - follow up. I need more play testing but this should clear an area of a map equivalent to almost 3 screens on a side. I like that there's techniques that might be thought up for this to make it work rather than just throwing money and gear at it. At least IMO.

Is any of this as good as something like the HH BV stuff I've seen? Not really since you're very directional so stuff can 'get behind you' for lack of a better term and you attack slowly so fast moving enemies can be annoying. I've found that using shockwave support with decent AOE helps fix this since the shockwave will kill any small enemies near you if you hit an enemy point blank. That's why I tried to make it really tanky via the evasion/dodge route which I've never done before. I also don't actually have most of the stuff to make this work yet. I need a vulnerability ring, a different amulet, I need to six link my chest still, I need an overlord cluster jewel and a mob mentality jewel which are all necessary to transition from what I have now which is kind of half-assed compared to what I linked above.

Also, I don't play this game for max clear or max farming or anything. I watch those youtube vids about how to 'farm uber monies!' and they always start with 1-15 ex on watchstones... WTF? If I could afford to spend multiple EX on fucking watchstones and sextants I wouldn't need to watch the fucking vid! Sigh. I don't have the playtime to even approach something like that. Though I will say this league is nice with valdo's rest harbinger farming. That's really nice for guys like me who have a tough time going from league starter type farming to anything more.

So, yeah, rant aside just be aware that what I think is good is probably night and day from what you or Aladain or Kythik would think is good. No hate, it's just what it is :) All I'll say with much confidence is that Sunder is better for clear than Earthshatter in most situations from what I've found.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sunder, in 2021? What is this wow?

this league has been severely damaging to my health, haven’t ran in over a month, normally I’d be done with a league by now but this xpac has so much content I still have 1-2 builds to do, maven to kill, and atleast attempt the feared. Haven’t even fucked with elevated sextants or maven orbs or anything. I’ll see if I can get a class action suit against ggg started for poe addiction

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
You can easily stack double that if you take advantage of not killing recently on abyss jewels. There's a Jugg Siege Ballista build based on that and those new boots. Siege Ballista kinda suck for clearing though.
Ensnaring arrow totem with curse on hit rings/support stuff like withering touch or immolate or similar debuffs was ownage tho.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone know of a reliable way to add projectiles to a spell? I'm trying to take advantage of Intensify, Pinpoint, and Intensity(+1 max stack to Intensify). Without additional projectiles, Pinpoint will cause the spell to essentially do nothing.

There's LMP, GMP, Volley, and Greater Volley, all which defeat the purpose of using Pinpoint and 4 stacks. There's Deadeye, but I'm trying to do this on a Necro so I can get a ton of cast speed from Corpse Pact and Kitava's Thirst. There's Dying Sun but that's not reliable on bosses.

Nirgon Nirgon I'm not quite following you. You're saying Ensnaring Arrow totems are better for clearing, or were just a good debuff buddy?

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Amazing debuff buddy, extra projectiles and pierce are dank on it too. The ensaring arrow itself has good debuffs.

The curse on hit ring apply to the balliasts was super nice. Didn't think it worked like that but I've been out of the loop a while.

Next league I wanna make a Kingmaker support (guardian)? Some kind of support. Never made one. I like occultist hex support too.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone know of a reliable way to add projectiles to a spell? I'm trying to take advantage of Intensify, Pinpoint, and Intensity(+1 max stack to Intensify). Without additional projectiles, Pinpoint will cause the spell to essentially do nothing.

There's LMP, GMP, Volley, and Greater Volley, all which defeat the purpose of using Pinpoint and 4 stacks. There's Deadeye, but I'm trying to do this on a Necro so I can get a ton of cast speed from Corpse Pact and Kitava's Thirst. There's Dying Sun but that's not reliable on bosses.

Nirgon Nirgon I'm not quite following you. You're saying Ensnaring Arrow totems are better for clearing, or were just a good debuff buddy?

I was thinking about messing around with freezing pulse or frost bolt and their threshold jewels.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I was thinking about messing around with freezing pulse or frost bolt and their threshold jewels.
I had the same thought, easy way to get projectiles. BUT....they don't do area damage, so they can't benefit from Intensify and Pinpoint. Magma Orb could have worked but they changed the threshold jewel.

Blazing Salvo is the only spell I've found so far that's projectile, area, and will still function at default with Pinpoint at 4 stacks. Was really hoping for Fireball because I'm betting the clear on Blazing Salvo will suck. Also, less area and fewer projectiles is a negative for Blazing Salvo in single target while Fireball doesn't care.