Path of Exile

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thats such a long manifesto it's hard to sort out my feelings about it.

Pros:
The flasks need to change, so longterm pro...but short term ouch
The ailment % icons are really nice.
Dot multi clusters were over the top.
Poisons?

Cons:
Awakened gems should've stayed (less to chase)
Aisling slams nerf (less to chase)
Fortfify change is weird. The issue isnt Lightee and alkaizer stacking it, the issue is spell casters getting it for free
I have a hard time believing CoC builds will actually still work
Totems and traps new meta? Don't like these playstyles.
Archmage as an archetype seems totally ruined now, especially when the other supports are getting nerfed too. 1/4 the dps?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Totems and traps new meta? Don't like these playstyles.

Start as traps, switch to mines when you get enough gear that one toss of traps or mines kills a pack. I was practicing starting as mines yesterday and it didn't feel great with how spammy it was.

I wish there was a "start as totems, switch to mines" option, but no ascendancy covers that well.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
This is the trapper I played in 3.13 was a hardcore build made by Octavian. Started 3.13 on ele hit totems and picked this build up very late and probably only for the last couple challenges. Was fun, not sure if it's still viable with all the changes, I didn't kill Maven on this (not sure why) but I did everything else boss wise. It was my first trapper build and I have to admit I was very impressed that he managed to make this build as tanky as he did. Ended up using an enduring mana flask till I equipped slavedrivers mitts - it was pretty sketchy until I had those as you burn mana like a motherfucker on traps.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
One thing is archmage now works on triggered skills so will archmage coc be a thing?
Had they not buttfucked inquis, I could see it maybe. I feel like other ascendencies would struggle hitting the crit cap. But archmage BL mjolnir CoC sounds interesting.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Brutal update notes.

Glad that traps seem a likely meta, when I played them in 3.13 they were incredible. Nobody was playing any variant really, so they were pretty cheap (wand aside). I used lightning spire trap for the duration of the story and felt that it was pretty underrated as a skill (boss melting), fast and easy to play. If I was going to play this league it would be trapper most likely, but it's going to be expensive as hell until a couple of new meta builds appear in ninja.

Looks like it will be an interesting league, might play if the feedback here is good. After a longish break I don't really give a toss about being in maps in the first weekend and feel a bit more chilled about the whole thing.

If you have experience on a miner/totem build and are short of ideas for a starter, traps is probably the best decision you could make for this league.
People like playing mines/traps about as much as they like totems.

It was moderately niche until spell totems increased in popularity at least.

Maybe this is the big totem/trap/mine meta push.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
So like 6 leagues ago they more the tripled the health pool of rare mobs. Are they.. undoing that or is Chris still full of shit?

dizzie

Triggered Happy
People like playing mines/traps about as much as they like totems.

It was moderately niche until spell totems increased in popularity at least.

Maybe this is the big totem/trap/mine meta push.

I doubt mines/totems will be a major meta just a small one. The problem with them is that people can't be bothered to learn them, to play them well you need to be prepared to practice and learn all the bosses, no matter how geared you are they are unforgiving. Trapper can be tanky as Octavian shows, but you simply can't do that for totems or mines.

Whilst everything else in this game has been meta and nerfed to shit, mines and totems have both remained very consistent. Once you start on them and get used to it, it's very hard to look at something new and be wowed. People who play them love them and play them all the time I think.

Traps are the same as mines, just more expensive as you'll probably want certain items to make them work at endgame (wand, slavedrivers) and they take alot more investment than mines to work well as you don't have a tremor rod, which is probably the most overpowered item in PoE.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I doubt mines/totems will be a major meta just a small one. The problem with them is that people can't be bothered to learn them, to play them well you need to be prepared to practice and learn all the bosses, no matter how geared you are they are unforgiving. Trapper can be tanky as Octavian shows, but you simply can't do that for totems or mines.

Whilst everything else in this game has been meta and nerfed to shit, mines and totems have both remained very consistent. Once you start on them and get used to it, it's very hard to look at something new and be wowed. People who play them love them and play them all the time I think.

Traps are the same as mines, just more expensive as you'll probably want certain items to make them work at endgame (wand, slavedrivers) and they take alot more investment than mines to work well as you don't have a tremor rod, which is probably the most overpowered item in PoE.
I used to start every league with an Ancestral totem build (whatever the AOE one is). Easy, scales decent, and can do most of the original Atlas without too much problem. It was slowly being outscaled by new content when I stopped doing it.

I now start every league with Cyclone (crit of late) and I will be interested to see how hamstrung it is now.

I did traps and mines at least once each, during the Arc hayday, do not like the playstyle.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

What's unique about traps in terms of tankiness that miners can't do?

Why would trappers want slavedrivers after the change to the cooldown traps? If you want blood magic, I bet Lifetap is better. Is there a specific trap wand you're referring to?

Tremor Rod is garbage. They broke something with it in 3.14 where it breaks detonation sequences frequently. Even without that, playing mines for detonation sequences is bleh.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
What's unique about traps in terms of tankiness that miners can't do?

Why would trappers want slavedrivers after the change to the cooldown traps? If you want blood magic, I bet Lifetap is better. Is there a specific trap wand you're referring to?

Tremor Rod is garbage. They broke something with it in 3.14 where it breaks detonation sequences frequently. Even without that, playing mines for detonation sequences is bleh.
Read the link I posted the way he goes round the tree on that build means he can take some nice defensive nodes + life. The guide explains every decision he made. Didn't play 3.14 so if it's been broken I wasn't aware of that. I've used it all the time and have found it really quite good.

You want a generic good ele wand for mines and traps late on (same shit you'd use on most casters, give or take).

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Read the link I posted the way he goes round the tree on that build means he can take some nice defensive nodes + life. The guide explains every decision he made. Didn't play 3.14 so if it's been broken I wasn't aware of that. I've used it all the time and have found it really quite good.

You want a generic good ele wand for mines and traps late on (same shit you'd use on most casters, give or take).
My guess is a fundamental difference in our playstyle preferences. For example, I can't stand any build that uses minefield support, it's too slow. I find Tremor Rod and managing detonation sequences to be similar.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
"increasing mob hp to combat power creep is poor design"

*increases mob hp*
I believe the act 1 revamp has more to do with AI than health. He said for instance no mob in Act 1 is faster than a naked player, but that will change. He wants smaller packs of deadlier mobs than huge packs of nothing mobs.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
You can get up to 5 unleash stacks and they buffed whispering ice.

With redeemer affix you get 5, drop 5 ice storms. Might be good with a 6L unleash chest setup and winter eye.

Doedre gloves were powerful for unleash too iirc.

Occultist? Int builds are tight.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Why isnt Cobra lash any good? On paper its a skill that looks like it should be amazing to play but i ran through act 1 with it and it was pretty terrible. Does it get any better?

Interested me for a bit because of the poison buff and that theres hydrosphere for bosses now.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I had the ranger starter bow in offhand with Caustic Arrow and pierce and it did better everywhere than cobra lash with lesser poison and lmp.
And compared to what i normally do on a witch, frostbomb and oos+stormblast mines theres really no comparison.

I don't really know why cobra lash appeals to me but it allways has but every time i try and play it it feels so mediocre