Path of Exile

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?

They were backwards before in name vs what they did.

Trinity nerfed a bit, big hit to weapon elemental damage, but big base number gains on lightning strike. Raider should be a very viable start, and still have easy access to ailment immunity.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
SST looks OP as fuck.
I wonder what that "double-hit" comment refers to. Were shards hitting the main target that emitted them, kinda like old splitting steel and fork? Or is this some this-skill-only Hydrosphere nerf? If not the latter, Hydrosphere might double the single target damage for this skill.

Either way, I'm really hoping they widened the hitbox on this skill. It was really easy to miss your target. Hydrosphere might help there since it's generally quite fat, doesn't move, and if the interaction stays, you want to hit it first.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Probably going to league start SST. Probably a mistake.

Exsanguinate traps into Exsanguinate mines is my backup(can't stand the delay on traps, but mines are wimpy at first). Been practicing various forms of it the last few days, so I know it will work out. I'd love if someone could tell me how to model stuff like Lightning Spire and Seismic Trap in PoB. They've been quite disappointing in early leveling use.

Forbidden Rite Totems and Storm Rain Ballista or Traps look interesting. But new skills and delays on damage, so not going to league start with those.

Absolution looks interesting now that you can support it with Spell Cascade. Haven't play minions in a few leagues, haven't kept up, and they've been significantly nerfed one way or another almost every league since 3.8, so not league starting with that.

Bleed bow glad into Corrupting Fever is my "all the other shit I want to play doesn't work out" backup. Gotta replace lifetap support though, that makes Corrupting Fever uncastable now. Really annoyed they didn't do anything with Corrupting Fever. It's paltry damage as a 4L, and one of its very few 6L supports got removed. Probably use Cruelty now.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
and you know that GGG (read it as Jesus Chris) is gonna be too fucking stubborn to revert any of the major changes after they see that this upcoming league is gonna be shit. Because PoE2 will fix it.
This game is like being in an abusive relationship. Every couple of months they bring gifts saying how it's all gonna be different and from now on it's you that matters but the same cycle of abuse continues.
If their league start peak drops from 150k to fucking 50k, their Chinese overloards (who actually owns 80%, probably more now) will come down hard on them

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Probably going to league start SST. Probably a mistake.

Exsanguinate traps into Exsanguinate mines is my backup(can't stand the delay on traps, but mines are wimpy at first). Been practicing various forms of it the last few days, so I know it will work out. I'd love if someone could tell me how to model stuff like Lightning Spire and Seismic Trap in PoB. They've been quite disappointing in early leveling use.

Forbidden Rite Totems and Storm Rain Ballista or Traps look interesting. But new skills and delays on damage, so not going to league start with those.

Absolution looks interesting now that you can support it with Spell Cascade. Haven't play minions in a few leagues, haven't kept up, and they've been significantly nerfed one way or another almost every league since 3.8, so not league starting with that.

Bleed bow glad into Corrupting Fever is my "all the other shit I want to play doesn't work out" backup. Gotta replace lifetap support though, that makes Corrupting Fever uncastable now. Really annoyed they didn't do anything with Corrupting Fever. It's paltry damage as a 4L, and one of its very few 6L supports got removed. Probably use Cruelty now.
Every SST build I try to make runs into the same problem: Mana. It's a 10 mana skill, in a 6L with these new multipliers you get a mana cost of something like 10 × 1.5^3 x 1.4^2 = 66 mana. Good luck with that, it's a 0.6s attack time skill, after attack speed you're going to be at over 200 mana per second. A build on the right side of the tree will hit the leech cap and won't even be close.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
and you know that GGG (read it as Jesus Chris) is gonna be too fucking stubborn to revert any of the major changes after they see that this upcoming league is gonna be shit. Because PoE2 will fix it.
This game is like being in an abusive relationship. Every couple of months they bring gifts saying how it's all gonna be different and from now on it's you that matters but the same cycle of abuse continues.
If their league start peak drops from 150k to fucking 50k, their Chinese overloards (who actually owns 80%, probably more now) will come down hard on them

No way they are getting 150k players on the league start this time around. Retention this league will drop like a fucking stone as there will be shitloads of people who would normally make it to maps who can't be bothered, the act/flask changes alone will see to this. It's summer, lockdowns ended in most places - who the fuck in their right mind wants to willingly sit behind a computer for 3+ hours a day getting shat on from a great height by GGG. They'll be patching this league for 2 months trying to get it balanced as there will be blowback all over.

I like what they are trying to do, slowing the game down, but I feel they needed to do these changes over the course of 12 months rather than all at once. Whatever the case, it's going to be pretty fun to watch streamers and the general drama that's coming up.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
but I feel they needed to do these changes over the course of 12 months rather than all at once
Putting aside whether all this is needed for POE2 in the first place, I think doing it all at once is better.

After those 12 months, you've either bled players the entire time because you had four back-to-back leagues full of miserable nerfs, or you had one huge cut that cost you more players, but then three leagues afterwards to mend the situation in a way that is compatible with your intended future direction.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Putting aside whether all this is needed for POE2 in the first place, I think doing it all at once is better.

After those 12 months, you've either bled players the entire time because you had four back-to-back leagues full of miserable nerfs, or you had one huge cut that cost you more players, but then three leagues afterwards to mend the situation in a way that is compatible with your intended future direction.

You're probably right about PoE2, it's probable this is the reason why these changes are happening.

Trying to balance all this in one go seems like it's biting off more than they can chew, they can't get things right at the best of times. I'd have been far happier for them to do something like flasks first, get that in and reasonably balanced over the course of a league, then work on the next design change accordingly. It depends on how well they've planned it, but we all know GGG, and their track record isn't great.

Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Dmg nerf fine, but i didnt count on Oom league and that will probably feel terrible. On the plus side archmage didnt take as big of a nerf as i thought with all the higher mana multipliers and mana management is part of that build anyway. for example a 6% cost times 1.3^5 is around 22% mana cost per cast while 5% times 1.4^5 is around 26%. Ofc the arcane surge mana regen nerf probably dumpstered it still.

Are essence+aisling crafted gloves/helmets better than 6 links (or god forbid 7 links) now? Pita to craft ofc.

ED+con league? didn't get hit

Spellslinger lol

P.charge on crit new BiS support? Not that hard to get 8+ charges for 32%+ more damage, easy charge generation and cheaper on the mana multi.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Every SST build I try to make runs into the same problem: Mana. It's a 10 mana skill, in a 6L with these new multipliers you get a mana cost of something like 10 × 1.5^3 x 1.4^2 = 66 mana. Good luck with that, it's a 0.6s attack time skill, after attack speed you're going to be at over 200 mana per second. A build on the right side of the tree will hit the leech cap and won't even be close.
Yep, it's a fair point. Lifetap support or full cold convert + inspiration are the only answers I got.

I can handle being slower. I can handle having to manage mana *initially*. But if you're on endgame bosses, your survivability is fine, your dps is fine, but you're still sweating your enduring mana flask charges....fuck that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Kinda repost from reddit(sorry Bubbles Bubbles ), but the guy that paid a hefty sum for that quicksilver flask of adrenaline must be pissed. Nothing new for someone to pay for a div card that makes you go "ok...?", but this was put in the game just last league.

AladainAF AladainAF IIRC you have a second card in the works? Was it affected?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
nmt6hk7b7jb71.jpg

imagine doing all these nerfs but not dealing with the bloat that created the situation

• 3Like
  • 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The Reddit malding is off the fuckin charts on this one. Best patch ever just for that.

Dicking around a bit in PoB and I think ignite as a mechanic is just dead? Damage on everything except burning arrow before this was barely limping over the acceptable line with a nice cluster setup, and that's just all gone now. Burning arrow might be the only survivor hilariously enough, but all the fireball/flame wall/arma brand type shit is just stone unplayable now.

Ice crash looks very strong now. Heck, most slams look really strong now, and probably play a lot better cause you're likely not using fist of war anymore on anything but earthquake, and instead just scaling attack speed/crit.

Lightning strike should be just fine. Raider survived all of this just fine, can still easily be ailment immune, trinity took minor nerfs, nightblade got pretty significant buffs. Combined with base damage increase on lightning strike it should be a fall back for my league start when everything else is bad.

I got excited about bladestorm getting a bit of a bump, but man I'm not sure how phys melee is gonna feel with melee phys having raw 10% less attack speed on it.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Boy the more I simulate some of these numbers in PoB the worse this actually gets. People are gonna struggle so badly to even clear red maps with this. Gems almost universally are now their fucking level 1 versions prior to this patch lol. Imagine trying to clear T16 maps after flipping all 6 of your main link gems, AND you left all your flasks in your stash. Shits gonna be bruuuuuuutal for all the mid-tier builds that just barely had enough damage before.

That doesn't even get in to the 6+ mod maps. Double curse maps are gonna be basically a reroll now? Hell even a single permanent curse may be a reroll given how anemic your curse removal options are.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
The real play is berserker, the damage is head and shoulders above all ascendancies now.

I tried a massive amount of builds in 3.13 (3.14 was just too much like ritual and quit a week in) the reality is, there was only a handful of builds that you could get above an "acceptable" amount of damage if you checked all the defense boxes, even with a sizeable budget.

Trying to get near/at max block chance and get enough damage nodes was impossible without cluster jewels.

Now you wont be getting max block and have enough damage even with clusters, you'll need to basically be a glass cannon going forward and I believe berserker is the only choice if you want to go melee.