Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The Reddit malding is off the fuckin charts on this one. Best patch ever just for that.

Dicking around a bit in PoB and I think ignite as a mechanic is just dead? Damage on everything except burning arrow before this was barely limping over the acceptable line with a nice cluster setup, and that's just all gone now. Burning arrow might be the only survivor hilariously enough, but all the fireball/flame wall/arma brand type shit is just stone unplayable now.

Ice crash looks very strong now. Heck, most slams look really strong now, and probably play a lot better cause you're likely not using fist of war anymore on anything but earthquake, and instead just scaling attack speed/crit.

Lightning strike should be just fine. Raider survived all of this just fine, can still easily be ailment immune, trinity took minor nerfs, nightblade got pretty significant buffs. Combined with base damage increase on lightning strike it should be a fall back for my league start when everything else is bad.

I got excited about bladestorm getting a bit of a bump, but man I'm not sure how phys melee is gonna feel with melee phys having raw 10% less attack speed on it.
Why lightning strike? Frost Blades is pretty similar without the ground travel projectile faggotry.

Don't say VLS. Your window to burst endgame bosses down is much smaller thanks to support gem nerfs.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Why lightning strike? Frost Blades is pretty similar without the ground travel projectile faggotry.

Don't say VLS. Your window to burst endgame bosses down is much smaller thanks to support gem nerfs.

Frost blades sucks is why. Trying to keep trinity uptime on it is miserable cause the range on cold damage is so small, while lightning strike is just a free roll with the huge lightning variance. You can try and do the hydrosphere nonsense with frost blades, but that's way more fiddly than VLS even.

And getting to dump 2 VLS + your normal attacks is significant boss DPS. It matters a lot less against sirus and maven, but it's huuuuuuge quality of life for mapp bosses and conquerors etc. It's obviously not going to delete conquerors in ~2s like it did last patch, but it's gonna be head and shoulders better than just trying to frost blades bosses down for 10 minutes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Boy the more I simulate some of these numbers in PoB the worse this actually gets. People are gonna struggle so badly to even clear red maps with this. Gems almost universally are now their fucking level 1 versions prior to this patch lol. Imagine trying to clear T16 maps after flipping all 6 of your main link gems, AND you left all your flasks in your stash. Shits gonna be bruuuuuuutal for all the mid-tier builds that just barely had enough damage before.

That doesn't even get in to the 6+ mod maps. Double curse maps are gonna be basically a reroll now? Hell even a single permanent curse may be a reroll given how anemic your curse removal options are.
Honestly, that sounds like fun to me but not with the current atlas system. Give me this with old trigger mechanics.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Mana multiplier changes made 6L Corrupted Fever builds close to impossible. Kinda annoyed. Gladiator with Kinetic Blast and Corrupting Fever was a lot of fun last league. Having trouble scrounging up enough HP to cast Corrupting Fever and then also keep it refreshed since you likely need Cruelty on your KB and Corrupting Fever.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Given the patch changes I will amend my comment to say Casual Chad will now barely finish the campaign
I want to see new players attempt Merveil. That should be interesting since act 1 monsters and bosses got buffed.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
You know I'm not sure what besides the new skills in this patch has me excited. Like last league had a bunch of QoL shit with Alva temples, Harvest coming back (although most people seemed to think it wasn't enough), and the Betrayal/Veiled changes and they were pretty great. This league basically just has nerfs across the board which happens, but there's nothing that makes me go "OH SHIT!" Maybe the actual league mechanic will be good, but it looks like a weird blight/synth/delve hybrid to me. Honestly I wish they redid something with this patch to look forward to like smart loot on boss kills in maps or some uniques that looked better than the 3 already shown.

Kinda a meh league, but the new skills do seem pretty fucking cool. Also I forgot about gambling, people love gambling so that should have some worthy laughs. The way the doom and gloom is cast over the normies before this league even started means the next league will have to be a kneepad wearing crowdpleaser or some of these "quitters" might actually quit.

Pro tip: find your best build or the build you want that you've used from previous leagues. Change all the support gems from lvl 20 to lvl 1. That's your new end game dps. Friend did his ES MS Jugg that was 5m per ball or whatever and it went down to 1m per ball. Big ouchies.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yep that's what I've been simulating with, just level 1 gems across the board.

It's pretty fucking brutal for a lot of my like mid-league fuckaround builds. Stuff that was "fine" before at like 1-2m DPS is now just down in the trashcan tier at like 300-500k.

Even lightning strike for as strong as it was last league is losing a full like ~40% dps, which might just be enough for me to not run it again. Probably try starting with SST? Never played it before, changes look good, and if I'm gonna suck balls it may as well be with something new.

Were previous SST builds just scaling crit (aside from the obvious mega armor shield)? Or were they impale?

Xevy

Log Wizard
SST was bleed 90% of the time. Gladiator SST with big bleeds. I played a SST character to fuck around with at the end of last league and when I checked PoE ninja it was something like 9/10 SST people were big bleeds and 1 guy was impale. All their damage for their gear was very underwhelming too, but I don't think it translates the bleed DPS as well into PoE Ninja.

That said now you can absolutely just clear with SST and single target with Shield Crush. Seems like a match made in heaven. I did impale and bleed (not fully investing in either) last league and it was very meh on bosses, but my shield was only like 2500 armor. With a good 2900 armor shield and the new changes can probably do some serious clear and big impales with shield crush.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You will know for sure dead game when Deathwing Deathwing does the same, lol.

But joking aside, what is there to be excited about this league, lol? Its like having your dick broken and then a 5/10 hooker in front of you.

Xevy

Log Wizard
When Xevs isn't feigning excitement for a new POE league then you know its suuuupper bad.
I've never feigned it. Never shilled. I just don't complain like the general forum dwellers and redditors about every possible thing that isn't "my way". There's always dumb shit and steps backwards, but there's always progress and new interesting shit too. This is the first patch I've seen in a while that has very few silver linings. That said, I'm still going to play it but I'm not nearly as excited after the patch notes as I was with the previous several leagues. The big thing is people QQing and whining before even the patch notes, but now that they're there in black and white people can legitimately complain. Now is there validity to ALL complaints? Probably not. But there definitely is for a lot of them. This is going to be brutal for casuals and normals, but for savvy players and poopsockers it'll just be a slightly slower league start and in the end will end up power clearing maps with some dumb meta shit per usual.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yep that's what I've been simulating with, just level 1 gems across the board.

It's pretty fucking brutal for a lot of my like mid-league fuckaround builds. Stuff that was "fine" before at like 1-2m DPS is now just down in the trashcan tier at like 300-500k.

Even lightning strike for as strong as it was last league is losing a full like ~40% dps, which might just be enough for me to not run it again. Probably try starting with SST? Never played it before, changes look good, and if I'm gonna suck balls it may as well be with something new.

Were previous SST builds just scaling crit (aside from the obvious mega armor shield)? Or were they impale?
You can do crit, but it feels like forcing it since you miss out on weapon and melee crit nodes. Maligaro gloves and crit supports might be options.

Not a whole ton of inspiration on poe.ninja. Most are bleed glads, which I don't want to do because I want attack speed. So, it's either impale or ele convert. Leaning towards impale glad.

Last edited:

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I haven't really been paying attention to POE for like 2 months, I think their design decisions in 3.14 and now 3.15 have been 1 step forward in minor areas and 3 steps back in important areas. I swear they're balancing this game around the hardcore no-lifers and that's a guaranteed method of pissing off anyone who isn't one of those guys.

As for shit that looks interesting this league? Ummm... .. ... Spectral shield throw maybe, but I can almost guarantee it won't be because they focused on making it good on its own, it's just because it's less shit than everything else now is. Ancestral totems will likely be pretty strong though I haven't looked to see if they've assfucked the tree on that front. It looks like attack speed-based melee will be slightly less dicked over than slam based melee, with the possible exception of Ice Crash, which looks ridiculous... but only by comparison. How does it have higher base damage than the ultimate pure strike skill Heavy strike? Where's the tradeoff for all that area damage? Eh, whatever. Warcry nerf is just completely asinine IMO. Why spend all that design space to make that playstyle a thing and then completely invalidate it in 2 patches?

Ronne's observation that everything has gone from lvl 20 to lvl 1 support pretty much across the board is spot on. I can't see how they won't be tweaking things for like 2 months to make it all work, no way did they get the numbers right on the first go around.

I don't think I'll be playing this one. It just looks boring and lame and boring and lame shouldn't be rewarded.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I've never feigned it. Never shilled. I just don't complain like the general forum dwellers and redditors about every possible thing that isn't "my way". There's always dumb shit and steps backwards, but there's always progress and new interesting shit too. This is the first patch I've seen in a while that has very few silver linings. That said, I'm still going to play it but I'm not nearly as excited after the patch notes as I was with the previous several leagues. The big thing is people QQing and whining before even the patch notes, but now that they're there in black and white people can legitimately complain. Now is there validity to ALL complaints? Probably not. But there definitely is for a lot of them. This is going to be brutal for casuals and normals, but for savvy players and poopsockers it'll just be a slightly slower league start and in the end will end up power clearing maps with some dumb meta shit per usual.

Way to prove my point with a 200 word essay.

For real, though, I agree that leaving over this patch alone is ridiculous because a new meta will arise. I am still not playing because I agree with Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule that they have taken too many steps back with too few steps forward. My biggest gripes, trading (of course) and now performance, have not even truly been acknowledged. Until they are meaningfully addressed I will not be playing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user