Path of Exile

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Do you honestly not use 3rd party resources on other games, at least "serious" ones? To me that looks like a tame list when I think about my WoW addons (back then, not sure how it is these days) or EVE spreadsheeting.

I've never used any 3rd party tools for any other serious game. At most I'll look at things like Vorici calculator, etc equivalent of other games. Some web resources, wikis, etc.

If you have to use a 3rd party tool for an interface/quality of life reason with zero affect on the gameplay it's a piece of shit.

PoE is a piece of shit, I don't know why I play it, but I've been playing it less and less lately. I skilled Ultimatum pretty much, and this league I'm playing a bit but I'm not really having much fun -- just a lack of other games with my interest atm.

I never thought something like Diablo 4 would ever, ever have any chance. But I think it will, because GGG is pulling a Blizzard and rapidly falling out of touch with their playerbase. They are falling into the typical trap of feeling they can be the king forever.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've never used any 3rd party tools for any other serious game. At most I'll look at things like Vorici calculator, etc equivalent of other games. Some web resources, wikis, etc.

If you have to use a 3rd party tool for an interface/quality of life reason with zero affect on the gameplay it's a piece of shit.

PoE is a piece of shit, I don't know why I play it, but I've been playing it less and less lately. I skilled Ultimatum pretty much, and this league I'm playing a bit but I'm not really having much fun -- just a lack of other games with my interest atm.

I never thought something like Diablo 4 would ever, ever have any chance. But I think it will, because GGG is pulling a Blizzard and rapidly falling out of touch with their playerbase. They are falling into the typical trap of feeling they can be the king forever.
I don’t think Poe is anywhere as bad as Reddit says it is, but there’s an Iraqi Information Minister-level disconnect on some that feel GGG is above reproach.

I do wonder why if they have such a hardon for this new hard mode, why they can’t derive a forced SSF mode that has a permanent bar from trading, but still has the some level of complexity but with some balance passes on the loot. I would seriously give them $1000 or more. Or when can the blizzard technical engineers break free and steal grim dawn’s class design and Poe’s endgame.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Keep an eye out for this thing if you're doing rotting temple. It's an entire map-sized zone of only runic monsters, and they all have all your remnant bonuses you blew up in the log book. I got 4 legion emblems worth of splinters out of it cause I had 70% for runic monsters to drop timeless splinters and killed like 400 of them down there.

Capture.PNG

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I don’t think Poe is anywhere as bad as Reddit says it is, but there’s an Iraqi Information Minister-level disconnect on some that feel GGG is above reproach.

I do wonder why if they have such a hardon for this new hard mode, why they can’t derive a forced SSF mode that has a permanent bar from trading, but still has the some level of complexity but with some balance passes on the loot. I would seriously give them $1000 or more. Or when can the blizzard technical engineers break free and steal grim dawn’s class design and Poe’s endgame.

Thats the thing, it's just like the guy in that earlier video says. After 100 hours it gets good. That's such a back-asswards way of looking at the game, but that's EXACTLY what poe does. It's so punishing to new players, they dont' even want to give it a fair shot. They get committed people yes, but they would get much more if they would quit building the initial impression of the game (the acts) around the end game hard core players.

Even before the rare hp changes and these recent changes, Steam shows things like this:

1629696656917.png

1629696681908.png

So 1.2% of your entire steam playerbase made it to malachai, but never managed to kill him. And even so -- only 22.9% of your entire steam playerbase has ever cleared act 5.

Yet -- they are making this harder and harder. It's such an incredible disconnect of your playerbase and your product. I get that GGGs view is "We dont care about %'s we just care about what we want in the game" but that's bullshit. There will become a point where they are forced to care about %'s because whats the point of having a company if you have no customers to support your company?

All of the shit they say makes no sense. Their position on trading. Forcing you to do the acts for every character, while still saying they want people playing multiple builds per league. They say things, and then implement barriers and obstacles to everything they say.

It's so frustrating. I don't want poe to be easy, but I want it to be easy for new players. I want the acts to be easy to get through. And let the end game be the real end game. Adding trade and more QoL wont affect the game negatively. Everything resets next league anyway.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The first time I played PoE was during Delve. I made a ranger, killed Hillock, went to the coast, interacted with a sulphite deposit, entered the mine and died. I'd get swarmed by the bats and spiders and shit and that was it. I tried again, died, again, died and deleted the character. It didn't really make any sense. No amount of mashing or clicking would get the job done and the game had just started. I made another ranger a few days later and the same thing happened. I didn't return again until metamorph.

That's just basic "playing the game" stuff. Now I mostly expect I'll get wrecked by a league mechanic when I'm level two but that's a lot for a new player to take in. It's not how vidya games normally work. I like PoE plenty but what really gets my goat is how much there is to know and how little it actually tells you. I've got like 1200 hours played now and I'm still learning basic shit like how the atlas works. I learned from a Zizaran video last week how watchstones effect what maps drop. TODAY I learned that maps have "natural" tiers. I just thought Horizon Orbs were bullshit. Stop giving me Foundry goddamn it!

Last edited:

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The good news is act 1 got easier this league. Oh wait it didn't, it got harder. Seemed odd to frontload the changes to the first thing a new player hits instead of toward the end.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Thats the thing, it's just like the guy in that earlier video says. After 100 hours it gets good. That's such a back-asswards way of looking at the game, but that's EXACTLY what poe does. It's so punishing to new players, they dont' even want to give it a fair shot. They get committed people yes, but they would get much more if they would quit building the initial impression of the game (the acts) around the end game hard core players.

Even before the rare hp changes and these recent changes, Steam shows things like this:

View attachment 368603

View attachment 368604

So 1.2% of your entire steam playerbase made it to malachai, but never managed to kill him. And even so -- only 22.9% of your entire steam playerbase has ever cleared act 5.

Yet -- they are making this harder and harder. It's such an incredible disconnect of your playerbase and your product. I get that GGGs view is "We dont care about %'s we just care about what we want in the game" but that's bullshit. There will become a point where they are forced to care about %'s because whats the point of having a company if you have no customers to support your company?

All of the shit they say makes no sense. Their position on trading. Forcing you to do the acts for every character, while still saying they want people playing multiple builds per league. They say things, and then implement barriers and obstacles to everything they say.

It's so frustrating. I don't want poe to be easy, but I want it to be easy for new players. I want the acts to be easy to get through. And let the end game be the real end game. Adding trade and more QoL wont affect the game negatively. Everything resets next league anyway.
I think the constant dumpstering skills or mechanics after I’d buy mtx is my new pet peeve. Plus you’ve got half the design team making combo skills and half making spell diarrhea triggers, and neither side talks. Group play being both the best way to play and incredibly frustrating to do.

One thing that kills me is that I’ve spent a lot on the game. Often buying both supporter packs in leagues I loved. I’ve bought core packs and mtx galore, but I started regretting that as the new endgame sat there and felt just like it was intentionally dragging itself out and the performance went to shit. Yet…I’ve not logged in at all this league and gotten no surveys or anything. I’d have expected they have some mechanism of “this guy used to give us a lot of money every three months. Now he doesn’t. Let’s ask why.”

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The good news is act 1 got easier this league. Oh wait it didn't, it got harder. Seemed odd to frontload the changes to the first thing a new player hits instead of toward the end.

The Necromancer in the Fetid Pool fucked my shit up this league. I wouldn't recommend showing up with just Fireball socketed.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Where's the Fetid Pool? Never heard of that zone.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Has anyone played a curse build that can answer this.

How does increased effect of curses get calculated for things like enfeeble?

Regular lvl 20 enfeeble is 30% less damage. If you had, say 400% increased effect of curses, that obviously wouldn't go to 100% less damage right?

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

It's just a massive disconnect. They are making these changes for the existing, top tier bleeding edge players. When in reality, the last fucking thing these people care about are the acts. They are spinning time and resources modifying the acts, that almost no one in their existing playerbase gives two fucks about but that greatly affects the experience of new players in a negative way. In other words, the exact opposite of what they should be doing.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Has anyone played a curse build that can answer this.

How does increased effect of curses get calculated for things like enfeeble?

Regular lvl 20 enfeeble is 30% less damage. If you had, say 400% increased effect of curses, that obviously wouldn't go to 100% less damage right?

• All effects of Enfeeble are capped at 75%.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
  • All effects of Enfeeble are capped at 75%.
Thanks,

Just noticed in POB you can also hover over the Curses and Debuffs in calcs as well.

1629735179090.png

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
It's just a massive disconnect. They are making these changes for the existing, top tier bleeding edge players. When in reality, the last fucking thing these people care about are the acts. They are spinning time and resources modifying the acts, that almost no one in their existing playerbase gives two fucks about but that greatly affects the experience of new players in a negative way. In other words, the exact opposite of what they should be doing.

I have decided that I disagree with your assertion. They should not be catering to the playerbase because it is their game and we truly aren't the people that they want playing the game.

The sad fact is that a ton of us loved Diablo 2 and never played POE until the shitshow that was D3 disabused us of the fact that we truly weren't the people that Blizzard wanted playing that game either.

So we want something challenging and deeper than D2 and D3 but not something as nut crushing as PoE. That game does not exist so we are forced to the margins of the ones that do exist or we don't play them at all and hope that one day something that we enjoy comes out. I was part of the "play something not for me crowed" up until 9 months ago. Now I just don't play any of them at all.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Quit being a disingenuous baby about shit.

Yolo mouse is incorporated in to the game essentially, and was never ever required for play before it was. This is personal preference at best.

Trade macros are a crutch for lack of game knowledge. Nothing wrong with people being knew and not understanding what has value, but they are unreliable at the best of times and downright misleading often. I used one my first league of play and quickly abandoned it because it was wrong more than it was right, and I wasted way too much time interacting with it instead of actually playing the game.

I've never even heard of whatever lurker is and I've killed all endgame for a dozen leagues in a row, so whatever it is is it's clearly vital to success.

Building a simulator. Literally every game in existence has simulators to varying degrees, going all the way back to basic ass tabletop dungeons and dragons. It doesn't have to be a core part of the game, and trying to bake something that complicated in to the in-game UI would be a joke.

Hotkey for macroing flasks is definitely a weird one. They've looked the other way for years on it because hardware macros on mice/keyboards are just a reality of modern gaming, so doing it via software isn't really any different. It mostly comes down to the flask system having been ignored for too long - it was a pretty interactive and interesting system back when a single map cost 10 exalts and there were only a couple dozen packs of white mobs in it. Whether they can update the flasks to be something interesting again remains to be seen.

Oh come on now Ronne. Trade macros a crutch for lack of game knowledge? That's why all the major streamers use it right? Trade macros are great and very reliable to use -- you just need to ensure you use the trade macro properly -- which requires the game knowledge (eg: a sire of shards with a perfect roll will obviously price radically different than a generic one).

Hotkey for macroing flasks isn't weird. It's just bad game design, putting the player into the position that mashing flask is the optimal way to play. And by fucking you this patch with flask recharge, guess who you're fucking? The new player. Because in the end game, with any juiced map, you can still mash flasks like before if you wanted to. It's just a hell of a lot harder to do in the acts now because the really low monster density. Fixing flasks is really easy, and that's to remove monster kills from filling it, and instead make it work like the pathfinder. Also, balance the game around no flask mods, so they have an impact.

So yeah, as usual, they fixed nothing with that change.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users