Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'll support them slowing down the game when they make any effort, even just Chris saying on a podcast, that they'll slow down monsters and reduce one shots. I'm not saying that they haven't, but it sure feels like they haven't.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Regarding slower and more interesting combat. Maybe that's possible, I don't think GGG knows how to do that. They are doubling down on that with 3.16. Look how easy it will be to gain immunity to selective or all elemental ailments, bleeding, and corrupted blood. That's on top of varying degrees of immunities to stun and chaos damage. Extra damage from crit strikes and maybe curse remain the only one where you have to "play" the game.

Cap reduced effectiveness at 75%. Cap avoidance a bit higher. Don't make it suffixes that you're required to get on most gear slots leading to even more gear lock like elemental and chaos resist.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll support them slowing down the game when they make any effort, even just Chris saying on a podcast, that they'll slow down monsters and reduce one shots. I'm not saying that they haven't, but it sure feels like they haven't.
Slowing down is all fine and good. It's the rate of progression that shouldn't be affected. If it takes me 4-8x more time to clear a map, that map should reward me 4-8x times, as well as the progression to reach end game be quicker (which they seem to already be doing and expanding the end game out wtih these "uber" leagues.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy
GGG could keep the current pace of the game fast (mapping, story) and slow progression by making map bosses a lot more meaningful and placing a higher value on them for atlas progression. They don't have to kill the speed meta to slow progression down, there are more interesting ways to achieve that goal. The way to keep a player playing your game is to make it challenging and fun, not by making them grind for countless hours. Killing the zoom meta is tantamount to killing the game after all this time.

If they did this it could be a good opportunity to overhaul the loot, remove half the crap that drops from the game and give bosses a better chance at rolling something useable. Personally I would prefer a system where they removed all loot from mapping and when you killed the map boss it dropped everything you earned in the map (stacked).

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
You cannot choose to find a specific vendor but must hunt for items on a shop by shop basis. This makes getting the perfect items another hunting mini-game that fits quite well with ARPGs.
That sounds nice for a small niche game, but if they're actually a success it will be a major point of drama.

I like it since it means no regular player to player trading, which imo is a huge red flag. We're not in 2001, direct player trading will solve/remove 90% of character/item progression, which kinda sucks in a genre where that is the main purpose of playing.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Did I miss something or was there no change to block other than gladiator’s versatile combatant node.
Edit - they did say ‘bone offering will be changed’ but gave no specifics

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
That sounds nice for a small niche game, but if they're actually a success it will be a major point of drama.

I like it since it means no regular player to player trading, which imo is a huge red flag. We're not in 2001, direct player trading will solve/remove 90% of character/item progression, which kinda sucks in a genre where that is the main purpose of playing.
I agree. The balancing act between acquiring loot and wanting to continue to play the game is the crux of the issue, and why GGG refuses to add additional trade measures to the game.

So if we have:

(1) Loot as the primary reason to continue to play (with a side order of RPG advancement and boss killing milestones and achievements)
(2)(a) A system where 99.999% of drops are garbage - and that is not hyperbole, as you can see if you ever disabled your loot filter
(2)(b) A gear affix system that is increasingly being diluted such that getting a useful combination is vanishingly small
(3) A crafting system that is, for the most part, just gambling in another form
(4) Non-deterministic drops for 99.99999999% of the itemization.
(5) Trade most often required to acquire BiS rares or build-defining uniques for a build.
(6) Game monetization based on a combination of cosmetics and increasing storage requirements to efficiently, or even effectively, play.

then if you slow the game down and still provide the same hook you need to:

(1) Reduce the amount of garbage loot
(2) Increase the probability of acquiring better affixes on gear
(3) Improve deterministic crafting (which they did and immediately nerfed it significantly)
(4) Provide additional deterministic loot targets?
(5) Leave trade the same or make it even more awkward?
(6) Increase price of storage tabs (too late for that, most core players have dozens already)

If you want to know why GGG has never created a SSF option with increased drop rates and no character tranfers, understand that they think they will lose revenue as their primary monetization is a combination of ""player interaction" = cosmetic sales and storage tabs (+support packs which are connected to the previous two).

Also, as the trade market "currency" is based on currency drop rarity, what would slowing the game down with the same drop rates per kill do to the trade market? Would Alc's become the coin of trade? Would chaos prices just scale on changes in effective drop rates?

Sorry, I went on for a while there.........

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't get why screen-filling amount of trash drops at all. Even with generic "strict" loot filters it's a mess sometimes. If Chris wants people to find more upgrades off the ground than their entire loot system needs an overhaul. This season my gear was some Rog jewelry, Rog boots, some uniques I bought, a spectre chest I bought, a minion wand I bought and a mess of Abyss jewels I donkey rolled with Harvest.

As an aside I've been playing little bits here and there (made it to 98, sucked ass getting to 98) and I've still yet to have Gwennen shit out anything cool.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am honestly surprised if their goal is to slow the game down, they haven't just put -50% dmg for 4 sec after using any travel skill, or something like that, on dash/leap/flame dash etc.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
PoE2 is essentially the largest expansion PoE1 will receive. They are not distinct games outside of the separate campaigns. It is marketing buzzword abuse to call it PoE2 because, among other things, leads to the above.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
PoE2 is essentially the largest expansion PoE1 will receive. They are not distinct games outside of the separate campaigns. It is marketing buzzword abuse to call it PoE2 because, among other things, leads to the above.
this

"poe 2" is just a new campaign and a rework of the gem system, plus some new weapon types. Campaign aside, I wouldn't even call it the biggest expansion ever.

it was always scummy calling it poe 2

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hahah. Problem? Solution...I mean i shouldn't complain i guess this is just a straight up buff to basetypes now

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Oh wow, another shit currency to add on top of all the shit currencies.

Like all the others, it will drop too rarely to be of any real use to anyone that isn't rich as fuck already.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
This new orb is awesome. I was *THIS* close to buying a supporter pack after next league. Has texture streaming been fixed? Nope, Sirus storms will still unload after portaling in. Delirium performance was ass this league. But I was still having fun, still putting at least a month into each league. Is that not worth support?

Thanks for reminding me, Sacred Orb and the stupid fucking problem it "fixes", that no, that alone is not worth support.

• 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Wait people still have texture problems? That mid-league patch a while back basically resolved that across the board I thought.

I played basically this whole league without even a hint of performance issues or graphical pop-in nonsense.

Orb seems pretty stupid. I actually liked the idea of of bases having a bit of variance (provided you can filter for it). Was one of the better systems in D2 where a well rolled archon plate or whatever was actually relatively valuable. Adding an orb that rerolls kind of just invalidates the entire system though and all it's gonna mean is there's now one more step in making your astral plate base now after quality/sockets/white sockets etc.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wait people still have texture problems? That mid-league patch a while back basically resolved that across the board I thought.

I played basically this whole league without even a hint of performance issues or graphical pop-in nonsense.

Orb seems pretty stupid. I actually liked the idea of of bases having a bit of variance (provided you can filter for it). Was one of the better systems in D2 where a well rolled archon plate or whatever was actually relatively valuable. Adding an orb that rerolls kind of just invalidates the entire system though and all it's gonna mean is there's now one more step in making your astral plate base now after quality/sockets/white sockets etc.

I prefer orb over no orb because i can craft on whatever 0-20% roll base i get early league and it's not wasted because i can fix it later if i happened to get something good.