Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Spectral Helix and Lightning Strikes are meta skills, especially with claws, you can find starter guides for both everywhere. The best thing you can do right now is give the skills a practice run to see if you like how they feel. Both will carry you to maps and the endgame if you can put up with their quirks.

Overlooked that you did a practice run, nevermind. Go for it then.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Spectral Helix and Lightning Strikes are meta skills, especially with claws, you can find starter guides for both everywhere. The best thing you can do right now is give the skills a practice run to see if you like how they feel. Both will carry you to maps and the endgame if you can put up with their quirks.

Overlooked that you did a practice run, nevermind. Go for it then.
So you don't see an issue conceptually atleast? And i could just be undergeared?
I was just under the impression that helix would almost insta phase bosses even with bad gear not struggle for minutes on the act 9 boss for example.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So you don't see an issue conceptually atleast? And i could just be undergeared?
I was just under the impression that helix would almost insta phase bosses even with bad gear not struggle for minutes on the act 9 boss for example.
Sorry, I also didn't notice you had specific concerns. I think the root of your dps issues is that claw. A decent base, but the only mod is T7 increased phys resulting in a 93 DPS weapon.

I don't typically start attack builds either, but I think you have to be more proactive upgrading your weapon.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
There's a couple of things. A lot, if not most, ele helix builds make use of big flat in a claw +added + an aura with trinity to get a huge dps boost. So your claw if even just say a low attack speed roll like 15% and a T4 or something lightning while running wrath would let you use a trinity support in your potential 5th link. Or you can find a gemini claw base and drop lifetap (except for pre-firing bosses before they spawn perhaps).

Mostly it's your claw. I made this claw real quick with VERY medium rolls and it was a 62% dps increase for you:
1652220389734.png

And damage on Spectral Helix in PoB is a little wonky. It's your average damage hit x your attack speed x NUMBER of hits (so on a boss at least two, maybe three) per skill cast. So your PoB says 47k but it's more like 100k-150k dps depending on mob positioning and body size.

Basically just get a better claw and stack flat elemental on it. Then hopefully work in Trinity and you'll be dandy. I've seen people do the entire game with a claw with T1 Flat lightning, T1 speed, and crafted flat cold. It's a very easy to work with ability.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's a couple of things. A lot, if not most, ele helix builds make use of big flat in a claw +added + an aura with trinity to get a huge dps boost. So your claw if even just say a low attack speed roll like 15% and a T4 or something lightning while running wrath would let you use a trinity support in your potential 5th link. Or you can find a gemini claw base and drop lifetap (except for pre-firing bosses before they spawn perhaps).

Mostly it's your claw. I made this claw real quick with VERY medium rolls and it was a 62% dps increase for you:
View attachment 411855

And damage on Spectral Helix in PoB is a little wonky. It's your average damage hit x your attack speed x NUMBER of hits (so on a boss at least two, maybe three) per skill cast. So your PoB says 47k but it's more like 100k-150k dps depending on mob positioning and body size.

Basically just get a better claw and stack flat elemental on it. Then hopefully work in Trinity and you'll be dandy. I've seen people do the entire game with a claw with T1 Flat lightning, T1 speed, and crafted flat cold. It's a very easy to work with ability.

Ye, I guess my expectation was a bit out of wack, hype made me think helix would insta kill bosses with a 1 link or something.
I wish i could get a claw like that but suffering from the usual league start woes of not even getting links and colours much less any usable essence. But definetly fixable in like 10 maps at most.

Xevy

Log Wizard
For claws: turn on essences first in your Atlas. Find an Imperial or Gemini. Spam attack speed, crit chance, flat cold, flat fire, or flat lightning essences on them until you get something decent. If you've gotten to maps you can probably fashion yourself a decent claw very quickly. If you're Harvesting you'll get one even quicker with lightning/cold/fire/speed or even phys rolls on claws. Don't need much, a lot of people get into red maps/bosses with a 300+ edps claw which is basically lucking out on ONE mod and crafting another.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thats my plan but i'll probably pick up a lot of bases, not just spam on 1.
Because i think the new "recombinator" items and essences should be pretty sick in combination. Hinges on the price/rarity of the recombinators obviously but if they're not too rare just picking up all the bases you find and throwing essences on each of them and then feeding the failures to the merge machine should grant you so many 2x deafening essence mod items (if they didnt code against it). For claws this should be amazing for early-mid league.

Later for serious crafting i imagine the best is to get a attack speed fractured claw.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So how's EA totems? Anyone here play it? How's it feel.

I'm pretty sure I'll start with Seismic trapper as I want more bossing them mapper for the first one this time.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

I'm pretty sure I'll start with Seismic trapper as I want more bossing them mapper for the first one this time.
Totem placement time + totem activation time(unscalable) + fuse time(scalable, but you don't want to) + dot damage = clunky

ronne ronne actually played it, I'm just speculating from playing with totems themselves. My guess is that you'll have to kinda stutter step it so that you always have some totems ready to fire. But that time you walk around corners or into rooms, or just caught unaware, it's going to feel really clunky.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider

I'm gonna be playing it this league, elementalist version seems the best by far (big dmg) unless you're HC then champ, here's the guide I've found the most helpful.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider

I played it for 3.17. Big open maps feel ok to great because you can run around and drop totems behind you and the prolif kills everything. When you need your damage infront of you, like in Indoor maps it feels kind of bad though.
I moved on from it quite fast so i didn't take the gear very far so i was still using a "The tempest" bow and general crappy gear but even then iirc it could do the invitations and get everything down except the feared but it took me a few portals for sure, generally run out of health pots and then you have no more recovery.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It's like playing traps retarded brother - totem placement time > firing delay > arrow explosion delay.

It definitely has power but it wasn't for me at all. I was mostly fine with trap builds, but the EA totems were just too much. Was bordering on the old slam builds level of autism where you're trading annoying for raw power.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Updated atlas planner.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I know. I just. That feels like finding maps with extra steps. Are exalts basic currency?

Sure, an exalt could be a basic currency. It's just the league specific currencies that are not basic.

I suspect the math is NOT going to work out but it looked cute. It also turns map drop scarabs in to shitty currency scarabs!

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Seems sketchy...I doubt it's gonna be powerful enough to outweigh the loss of synth/guardian/conq maps

1652356498963.png

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm super prepared. I won't know what build till I'm probably waiting to get through the queue.