Path of Exile

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
New Grand Spectrums are amazing.

If we get one for each type of charge they could get really interesting for some builds that have basically no other source of charge generation

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Jewels have a ton of competition. Though, maybe that's lessened somewhat with Melding nerfed. I'd have trouble giving up 3 life and crit multi jewels for, assuming, 3 charges of each type.

Fun little thought: how are items going to be priced that are usually "fixed" by Divine Orbs? For example, is there going to be an inherent price ceiling on how many Divine Orbs(regardless of how much chaos a Divine Orb is worth) an Astramentis or Ashes will cost?

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Jewels have a ton of competition. Though, maybe that's lessened somewhat with Melding nerfed. I'd have trouble giving up 3 life and crit multi jewels for, assuming, 3 charges of each type.

Fun little thought: how are items going to be priced that are usually "fixed" by Divine Orbs? For example, is there going to be an inherent price ceiling on how many Divine Orbs(regardless of how much chaos a Divine Orb is worth) an Astramentis or Ashes will cost?

Really hard to know, this is pretty uncharted territory.

Ashes specifically I expect the price multiplier on either perfect reservation or perfect quality to be insane though. Lower tier uniques though drop so frequently though that even good rolls will likely have a pretty low price ceiling.

Of course they did say there'd be less uniques dropping so who knows what that means - maybe there's just 10x less raw quantity of them dropping and a decent roll on shit like black sun crest is just gonna cost 20ex or whatever the new equivalent in divines is.

• 1Like

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Good uniques are so ridiculously rare as is, I can't imagine them being even rarer.

Uniques in general drop pretty often, mostly shit bottom of the barrel uniques.

Even getting a shavs, hardly worth what it used to be is probably close to hitting lottery numbers.

I still don't like Poe's loot rng, it really feels bad running hundreds of maps and really just getting generic currency.

I haven't had a character powerful enough to run fully juiced maps since legacy league so clearly there's a big difference between those who can and those who can't and I'm not sure where GGG is basing their opinions on.

I also know I'm not the only one to drop 10-20 ex crafting and coming up empty handed. Especially trying to 6 link unique chests, its great when you get lucky but it's devastating when you get fucked and gamblers theory starts kicking in.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't know if this is new or just new to me but apparently there's a 3 of (insert unique here) into a rerolled one vendor recipe.
Don't think it works on corrupted ones and you get the lowest ilvl back and maybe there's some other rule i don't know.

So it's pretty worthwhile if for example Divine orbs are 300c and mark of the shaper is 10c, you can buy 3 of those for 30c and get 1 "divined" one back with this vendor recipe.

Unique prices this league are going to be interesting for sure.

• 1Solidarity

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I don't know if this is new or just new to me but apparently there's a 3 of (insert unique here) into a rerolled one vendor recipe.
Don't think it works on corrupted ones and you get the lowest ilvl back and maybe there's some other rule i don't know.

So it's pretty worthwhile if for example Divine orbs are 300c and mark of the shaper is 10c, you can buy 3 of those for 30c and get 1 "divined" one back with this vendor recipe.

Unique prices this league are going to be interesting for sure.
Really old recipe iirc, like beta old maybe, but hasn't been useful in years cause either the item is too cheap and it's just faster to buy one with good rolls, or it's too expensive to use 3 to do the same as a single divine which tend to be super cheap. With divines being assfucked next league though and likely being 300c+ each, the recipe becomes pretty interesting again, at least for non endgame uniques/stuff you don't need to 6L. Although the recipe+lower unique droprate sounds like some uniques are going to be naturally more expensive due to not having enough of them especially if the rolls matter.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Shock nova now is a guaranteed shock but I don't see anyone planning around using it.

It's been dumpster tier for a while so maybe that's why but I feel like it's being overlooked with the changes.

I'm doing cast on crit flicker with this shock nova even if it's bad

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
They updated sunblast again lol

Updated the Sunblast Unique Belt note (again):
Old:
  • The Sunblast Unique Belt no longer has 30-40% increased Trap Damage, or 20% increased Mana Regeneration Rate. Instead, it now has "Skills which Throw Traps throw up to 1-3 additional Traps", "Throw Traps randomly around targeted location", and "Traps cannot be triggered by Enemies". It also now has 65-75% reduced Trap Duration (previously 80%).
New:
  • The Sunblast Unique Belt no longer has 30-40% increased Trap Damage, or 20% increased Mana Regeneration Rate. Instead, it now has "Skills which Throw Traps throw up to 2 additional Traps", "Thrown Traps land in an area around targeted location", and "Traps cannot be triggered by Enemies". It also now has 50-75% reduced Trap Duration (previously 80%).

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Are there any interesting melee builds with these changes? I was really hoping this could bring some love to them but it sounds like not really?

Not uber level, just somewhere into red maps or something?

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Are there any interesting melee builds with these changes? I was really hoping this could bring some love to them but it sounds like not really?

Not uber level, just somewhere into red maps or something?

I advise homebrewing and not playing some cheesy meta face roll

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I think melee is viable, so long as you make your build VERY defensive. Doing that while also having ranged-level dps gets expensive fast.

IMO it's not that you CAN'T do melee, it's just that it's more work for the same or slightly less capability than a given ranged/spell build. Plus I think in general people don't like defense-oriented builds.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think melee is viable, so long as you make your build VERY defensive. Doing that while also having ranged-level dps gets expensive fast.

IMO it's not that you CAN'T do melee, it's just that it's more work for the same or slightly less capability than a given ranged/spell build. Plus I think in general people don't like defense-oriented builds.
There was a pretty big thread on the frontpage of reddit a few days ago about how melee is still perfectly fine, it's just not worth doing unless you really want to play melee, which is basically the state of melee. You have to invest in all the random shit everyone also has to invest in(accuracy, damage scaling, defenses) then on top melee specific shit that are usually quite costly(increased aoe/melee range, more defenses cause less range/have to stand still more) and you don't get any benefit because ranged was scaled so much it basically does the same dmg as melee in most cases(not in a dummy type boss fight, but every boss fight has constant ground aoe and shit you have to avoid so you end up running around more on melee that any advantage is lost). And then shit like having to use the melee totems in every single build because they provide way too many stats, and that makes it both boring and clunky to play.

Meanwhile GGG's too scared to buff melee damage, because somehow if melee did more dmg, it'd become the best thing ever, even though it has so many downsides naturally anyway. Shit's dumb. Even not accounting for all the mechanical issues, there's just glaring number issues they could fix by just slapping dmg modifiers all around, but nope. That said that's the general issue with their balancing, they're so fucking scared to overbuff stuff they barely touch anything, and once in a while they still manage to fuck it up entirely and some skill becomes too strong, and it's then promptly overnerfed into uselessness the next patch.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's a fuckload of health regen now on some uniques which, I would literally have to see myself to know if it was good enough to survive... melee.

The bringer of rain changes are definitely interesting, whether it's still the same effectiveness as just throwing on an abyssus with a good chest, I dont know...

I think theres good melee builds but nobody really wants to play slams, at least I dont.

Flicker is a good melee skill, it's just too damn expensive to break into that ridiculous dps tier of gear where you dont get instagibbed in red maps.

Flicker of course makes some people feel sick, so theres that.

I just want dual strike to be good enough for endgame content, is that too much to ask?

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
There's a fuckload of health regen now on some uniques which, I would literally have to see myself to know if it was good enough to survive... melee.

The bringer of rain changes are definitely interesting, whether it's still the same effectiveness as just throwing on an abyssus with a good chest, I dont know...

I think theres good melee builds but nobody really wants to play slams, at least I dont.

Flicker is a good melee skill, it's just too damn expensive to break into that ridiculous dps tier of gear where you dont get instagibbed in red maps.

Flicker of course makes some people feel sick, so theres that.

I just want dual strike to be good enough for endgame content, is that too much to ask?
I played a shield crush slayer last league, it wasn't squishy at all until you got a shitton of stuff on screen. Regular non-juiced red maps it handled just fine, but since I was going leech (duh, slayer) it was kinda weak on some bosses with immune phases. Other than those though it was damned near immortal with 2700 hp leech/s (vaal pact) and overleech. And I never got to how I wanted it defensively because the sublime vision PoF jewel was out of reach for me price wise. As I bitched about here. If I'd have gotten that, my damage taken for non-uber bosses in POB was going to be like 600 with everything up, which is pretty damned close to immortal until you get to uber bosses or wave 30 simulacrum or something. Downside was dps wasn't amazing, like 5-7Mil. Maybe it could have been fixed by throwing more ex at it, but eh? Was good enough for my level of time and skill.

It's definitely possible, and I probably had 15-25ex into my build? Not sure since it took me forever since I play so slowly and all my stuff was acquired over a long time.

And I definitely concur with Pyros Pyros posts and points. I play melee because I like it better thematically. If I was min-maxing I wouldn't go near it.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
A lot of why melee feels so fucking bad is because almost every skill has a shitty 60-80% base attack speed mod on it. They did that shit way back when they did their animation update in like Betrayal league or whatever and it's made almost every skill feel like trash since.

I can sorta understand it with some of the big slams like earthquake and whatever else, but stuff like sweep and double strike and bladestorm just do not have damage effectiveness numbers to justify how fucking slow they are are.

Meanwhile helix has higher damage effectiveness than I believe 100% of the melee tagged skills, and has a 110% base attack speed modifier to go along with it. Same story with lightning strike having just more damage effectiveness than every other skill for no reason while also having no attack speed penalty, and even a Vaal version for burst damage.

Everyone always says it's just a mechanical issue holding melee back, but it's raw fucking numbers and that's it. Why does Reave only get 225% damage effectiveness and no added flat when Lightning Strike is the same 225%, a pile of flat added lightning, can hit the same target twice and has infinitely more AE? It's the same story for every other unused skill - the math just isn't there on damage effectiveness or base attack speed, not even counting how pathetic the mechanics of a particular skill may be.

• 1Solidarity

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Just play whatever you want and get passive belligerent with GGG. That's what skill advocates do (and successful ones have done).