Path of Exile

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
For the past few years, watching league launches are been better than the actual game.
the highest rated comment and first reply to it pretty much sums up GGG. They are a bunch fucking amateurs who lucked out with cool ideas and nostalgia in empty market but over a decade later still lack any understanding on how to realize those ideas. Game is an utterly unbalanced bloated mess running of a shit engine. I can't wait for the next manifesto. POE2 is gonna be a glorious shit show.

I think it's 95% chris wilson fucking this game up and if he was somehow pushed out (i don't think this is possible) it would end up being a much better game. I wonder how many employees were like "uhhh you sure you wanna stealth gut loot by like 800% chris?"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Khane, on your atlas spec temple (alva), strongboxes, shrines, and either harbingers and/or expedition to start. I would say essences but they can be pretty rippy. In temples, focus on getting level 3 gem rooms and level 3 corruption rooms. Once you get either or both of these, take a chronicle of your temple and sell it. If you don't get the valuable ones, just run it or sell it for a few chaos, your choice. From there once you've got some currency and are in red maps, you should have an idea what all the other mechanics do and whether you want to run them. From there, unspec the things I listed above that you don't want to run anymore (harbingers in particular has diminished returns later on IMO) and respec into the things you do. You should have plenty of respec orbs by the time you hit red maps, and if not just play more till you do. Also, on the atlas it's better to whole ass one thing rather than half ass several things.

Also take advantage of the nodes that disallow certain content from showing up once you figure out what you want to focus on. It's a real timesaver and takes away that FOMO feeling.

The people saying GGG doesn't really know what they're doing, 3.18 was a GREAT league. Right up there with Ritual IMO. That doesn't count for anything? This league isn't likely going to be as good but it has potential IMO. I suspect they'll take several passes to iron out the risk v reward and all the archnem BS.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Khane, on your atlas spec temple (alva), strongboxes, shrines, and either harbingers and/or expedition to start. I would say essences but they can be pretty rippy. In temples, focus on getting level 3 gem rooms and level 3 corruption rooms. Once you get either or both of these, take a chronicle of your temple and sell it. If you don't get the valuable ones, just run it or sell it for a few chaos, your choice. From there once you've got some currency and are in red maps, you should have an idea what all the other mechanics do and whether you want to run them. From there, unspec the things I listed above that you don't want to run anymore (harbingers in particular has diminished returns later on IMO) and respec into the things you do. You should have plenty of respec orbs by the time you hit red maps, and if not just play more till you do. Also, on the atlas it's better to whole ass one thing rather than half ass several things.

Also take advantage of the nodes that disallow certain content from showing up once you figure out what you want to focus on. It's a real timesaver and takes away that FOMO feeling.

The people saying GGG doesn't really know what they're doing, 3.18 was a GREAT league. Right up there with Ritual IMO. That doesn't count for anything? This league isn't likely going to be as good but it has potential IMO. I suspect they'll take several passes to iron out the risk v reward and all the archnem BS.

I appreciate you guys trying to help me understand where to start, its just that there are other games I'd rather spend time on than trying to learn PoE.

The atlas system was actually really cool and very easy to understand. Mapping itself wasn't that hard to figure out.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I appreciate you guys trying to help me understand where to start, its just that there are other games I'd rather spend time on than trying to learn PoE.

Look at this guy here not wanting to learn Latin so he can instead do something else.

Lightning Fast
tenor.gif

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I do hope the buff to map bosses is good, if they just slap on AN mods to the map bosses reddit is going to lose their fucking minds lol

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For the past few years, watching league launches are been better than the actual game.
the highest rated comment and first reply to it pretty much sums up GGG. They are a bunch fucking amateurs who lucked out with cool ideas and nostalgia in empty market but over a decade later still lack any understanding on how to realize those ideas. Game is an utterly unbalanced bloated mess running of a shit engine. I can't wait for the next manifesto. POE2 is gonna be a glorious shit show.
If GGG are amateurs please tell us the professional online service gaming developers we need to be taking examples from?

Is it Blizzard/Activision?
Perhaps it's EA?
Maybe Ubisoft has a better grasp of running a game for 10 years.

I swear your posts read like one of those AI bots that scrub subreddits and spew a bunch of shit out.

You really just can't win against the internet.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
POE is fine and made steady progress over the years but somehow along the way the great vision drowned the fun by being too much on the "everything needs to be balanced" crusade. Early POE was crazy and wild but you could play stupid build ideas and made them viable and overpowered with some klnowledge. This is the core of ARPG NOT farming weeks and weeks for the slim chance of crafting something good. I had no problem that poet pen made nice builds or aura stackers were crazy op or double dip poison builds one shot bosses and all those things. Wilson became too much of a control freak and fun police agent and GGG combating their own goal keeping longer playing after league launch by making everything tedious, hard and complicated. Difficult content has it's place but the average player should be able to play for a week and then beat maven with a half decent build. I never had the feeling in a D3 league playing for 3,4 days and beating Malthael that that was too quick or cheap. Felt perfectly okay.

• 2Like

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
OK just got to the first harvest. Why didn't they just take it out? Trade harvest has been the biggest bait league of my life

Fuck now I get why all the nerds are raging.

Lightning Fast
POE is fine and made steady progress over the years but somehow along the way the great vision drowned the fun by being too much on the "everything needs to be balanced" crusade. Early POE was crazy and wild but you could play stupid build ideas and made them viable and overpowered with some klnowledge. This is the core of ARPG NOT farming weeks and weeks for the slim chance of crafting something good. I had no problem that poet pen made nice builds or aura stackers were crazy op or double dip poison builds one shot bosses and all those things. Wilson became too much of a control freak and fun police agent and GGG combating their own goal keeping longer playing after league launch by making everything tedious, hard and complicated. Difficult content has it's place but the average player should be able to play for a week and then beat maven with a half decent build. I never had the feeling in a D3 league playing for 3,4 days and beating Malthael that that was too quick or cheap. Felt perfectly okay.
I agree that the crafting is as you describe, and I don't really craft because of it. Too much RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG for sure. And ya, GGG certainly isn't perfect and they do a lot of 1 step forward 2 steps back with some of their changes. And ya, the amount of content can be daunting for new players and the amount of 3rd party apps you need to really prosper is bordering on the absurd. But then there's other times they do 3 steps forward 1 step back and it's pretty awesome. They also put out generally good content at a pace that a huge % of other companies couldn't match in their wildest dreams.

They also aren't Blizzard which has to be worth several dozen points.

The bit about beating maven after a week though? Dude, there's plenty of guides out there that if you follow them you'll get there ezpz no problem. PathofMatth's latest vid where he beat regular maven with his WOrb miner on like no gear and a 5 link comes to mind. Miner builds aren't my thing, but what you're talking about is certainly doable if you don't mind meta builds/skills. And don't play melee, of course :mad:

TL; DR : reddit sucks, some complaints are valid, not all leagues can be as good as sentinel and ritual, and at least GGG isn't Blizzard.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
3.19 is awesome, Empyrian's group quit. The economy is worst part of this game. It's obvious they will never willingly fix it, so self sabotage is all we have left.

Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule y u no like miners?

• 1Solidarity

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I think the Atlas tree was the best thing they added to the game in years. Being able to focus on one or two mechanics and void the rest solved the ridiculous general bloat - albeit for people more experienced with the game since it happens a fair jag into progression.

I am annoyed that mines/traps became somewhat meta recently because I despise the playstyle - I did it once when it was first meta a couple of years ago and have never done another. Which is weird, because I never minded BV or even totems, which Deathwing spits on.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The concept of totems, I don't mind. The delay is what I hate. Give mines another try. When it was meta, lots of idiots played it wrong, myself included. Minefield support got buffed in 3.17, mines feel great with it once you get some throwing speed.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Stupid question, but if someone created a poe like clone but was easier would you play it? And by easier I mean like more loot, not as crazy mobs etc but still the same build diversity etc.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Stupid question, but if someone created a poe like clone but was easier would you play it? And by easier I mean like more loot, not as crazy mobs etc but still the same build diversity etc.

3.13 PoE? you bet.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
GGG had a recipe for success, all they had to do was make new skills with the same content and people would play it forever.

Instead they are redesigning the combustion engine instead of changing the body style.

This is a top down management failure, Poe doesn't need to be hard, it just needs to bring in money and they are fucking themselves on both ends to match some brad esque " vision " for the game that only Chris gives a shit about.

The fact some skills are still demolishing the content with little investment means they are doomed to fail unless the game deletes the majority of skills and builds available or it will never be hard, it'll be watered down to meta or nothing.

At least with a wide variety of skills that can beat endgame content (easy) general balance doesn't need to be 100% perfect. With this vision, they have to be 100% balanced, which no game can achieve 100% of the time.

If 99% of skills can't beat red maps but a fireball miner can beat everything on a tabula, is the game hard? Does the loot from anything matter?

• 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I’d like the difficulty to stay close to at least two leagues ago? But I would like more and better rolled loot for more challenge. Like nothing below a tier 4 mod in high reds. I’d like currency to drop a tad more. But I’d pay money for a true SSF balanced game.

that said and d2 is about on par with poe in terms of how often you get good loot. So who knows. I just know that last two leagues I played it felt like a slog. Used to, 1-2 hours a night casual could finish a league in a few weeks with focus. Last two I felt the content had been artificially lengthened while drops still feel like shit.

But really, my biggest pet peeve is the meta shit they do about dumpstering fun builds because they want to keep it “fresh”. There’s gotta be better ways to balance. Usually fun builds get a bat that says “sorry now the budget will be 250ex instead of 100ex.” And that sucks. I have a slew of micro transactions for skills that got dumpstered in some form and that pisses me off because it’s money. It’s also why I quit except for 1 league a year.

• 2Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Never did get an answer why I got locked out. Guess good leauge to sit out. Figure if things turn up I'll play a free account again, maybe.

Lightning Fast
3.19 is awesome, Empyrian's group quit. The economy is worst part of this game. It's obvious they will never willingly fix it, so self sabotage is all we have left.

Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule y u no like miners?
I dunno, I tried leveling a miner a while back and I just didn't like it. Constantly running like a bitch while throwing explodey stuff over your shoulder at the big snarly things chasing you just didn't appeal to me very much.

Eh, maybe it's better now and I should try it... maybe if I want to reroll or for next league. It definitely looks like ezmode every time I watch a vid of the guys who play it.