Path of Exile

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Splitting steel project is finally moving kinda in to endgame. Still a lot to do, mainly get a large cluster setup and replace fucking ichimonjis lol. I've been dicking around in PoB and sadly it looks like paradoxica is once again just the best 1h sword there is. Was kinda hoping the new redblade thing with a cool tree would compete, but it's really not even close. Offhand probably needs to be beltimber blade just because it says +2 projectiles on it? I'm not entirely sure how far shot is going to calculate though on the returning projectiles, so it may not really even do anything.

I do kinda suspect a 2h version could work as well but haven't had time to look at it in PoB yet. Starforge is pretty cheap these days, and if you hit a nice flat added phys node on it you could easily have a 1000+ dps starforge along with some mega shocks.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
As i'm looking through a bunch of builds on poe.ninja, i'm noticing a lot of them have lifetap linked with their mark on hit + assassin's mark... is there some reason for this that i'm too dumb to understand?

Might be they just do for no special reason, might be they have the crucible node that gives marks 40% increased effect at the cost of 200% increased mana cost. I had that node for a while and lifetap bypassed the downside, in my case it was 200 mana or 200 life iirc.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I guess that makes sense. I dunno why I was assuming it wouldn't cost mana with mark on hit and would instead just be a free cast like cwdt stuff.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
CWDT doesn't remove mana cost. All those support skills make the mana cost higher, and mark on hit support in particular is a 200% increased multiplier.

So yea, they use lifetap because they are reserving most of their mana and the proc wouldn't work due to not enough mana unless they remove the mana cost.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Splitting steel project is finally moving kinda in to endgame. Still a lot to do, mainly get a large cluster setup and replace fucking ichimonjis lol. I've been dicking around in PoB and sadly it looks like paradoxica is once again just the best 1h sword there is. Was kinda hoping the new redblade thing with a cool tree would compete, but it's really not even close. Offhand probably needs to be beltimber blade just because it says +2 projectiles on it? I'm not entirely sure how far shot is going to calculate though on the returning projectiles, so it may not really even do anything.

I do kinda suspect a 2h version could work as well but haven't had time to look at it in PoB yet. Starforge is pretty cheap these days, and if you hit a nice flat added phys node on it you could easily have a 1000+ dps starforge along with some mega shocks.

Split, pierced, forked, or chained projectiles still count as the original projectile, so Beltimber is required for this build. There's no way Starforge competes. You might want to consider Saviour depending on how much you trust the clones to hug the boss.

How are you dealing with Call of Steel? I hate jumping into packs and throwing a flaccid steel skill.

Noticed you picked up some proj speed. Are you sure that isn't affecting overlaps on return? My testing indicated that they will overshoot you and explode behind you with any proj speed.

How much pierce do you feel is necessary for clear?

Last edited:

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Split, pierced, forked, or chained projectiles still count as the original projectile, so Beltimber is required for this build. There's no way Starforge competes. You might want to consider Saviour depending on how much you trust the clones to hug the boss.

How are you dealing with Call of Steel? I hate jumping into packs and throwing a flaccid steel skill.

Noticed you picked up some proj speed. Are you sure that isn't affecting overlaps on return? My testing indicated that they will overshoot you and explode behind you with any proj speed.

How much pierce do you feel is necessary for clear?I

Yea if far shot works that way it'll have to beltimber for sure then. I played around a bit with the fledgling but like you mentioned the extra speed combined with the 'can't collide' at close range really ruined that idea. It's hard to tell really if extra proj speed in general is interfering with the overlaps at all cause it's such a visual shitshow, but could be worth trying to ditch it all and see.

I don't actually know how savior works with steel skills, will the clone actually use my steel shards? Or does he have his own? Currently the shards for myself aren't too big of a deal cause one attack mostly clears a pack right now, but it does kind of put a cap on how much attack speed I can really get. This just further enforces paradoxica probably being the best option cause it has naturally lower attack speed.

Pierce was the 6th link when I finally got a 6link, but it probably needs to go eventually. Crit strikes/crit damage are way better links for me currently than pierce and maim are, but I need to fix up some gear to meet the int requirements to use them first. Before the pierce link though the helm and glove enchant for +1 pierce each seemed to be fine for regular clear, but I don't know if that holds true in to mega thick content like conquerer maps etc.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yea if far shot works that way it'll have to beltimber for sure then. I played around a bit with the fledgling but like you mentioned the extra speed combined with the 'can't collide' at close range really ruined that idea. It's hard to tell really if extra proj speed in general is interfering with the overlaps at all cause it's such a visual shitshow, but could be worth trying to ditch it all and see.

I don't actually know how savior works with steel skills, will the clone actually use my steel shards? Or does he have his own? Currently the shards for myself aren't too big of a deal cause one attack mostly clears a pack right now, but it does kind of put a cap on how much attack speed I can really get. This just further enforces paradoxica probably being the best option cause it has naturally lower attack speed.

Pierce was the 6th link when I finally got a 6link, but it probably needs to go eventually. Crit strikes/crit damage are way better links for me currently than pierce and maim are, but I need to fix up some gear to meet the int requirements to use them first. Before the pierce link though the helm and glove enchant for +1 pierce each seemed to be fine for regular clear, but I don't know if that holds true in to mega thick content like conquerer maps etc.
The clones don't use your shards. I think they snapshot at point of creation. It's been a while since I've read up on the interaction though, steel skills have been out of the meta for quite a while.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The clones don't use your shards. I think they snapshot at point of creation. It's been a while since I've read up on the interaction though, steel skills have been out of the meta for quite a while.

Hmm if he just has his own 'infinite' supply of steel shards it could be worth trying out. I suspect it'll never beat a paradoxica sadly, but the extra clear could be useful for really think endgame content.

Edit: tested it on standard quick, the clones attack as if they had your current steel shard count but don't consume them, so they can 'run out' if you let your count go to zero, but otherwise they blast at full power

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
CWDT doesn't remove mana cost. All those support skills make the mana cost higher, and mark on hit support in particular is a 200% increased multiplier.

So yea, they use lifetap because they are reserving most of their mana and the proc wouldn't work due to not enough mana unless they remove the mana cost.

Oh, well shows how much I pay attention to stuff altho I haven't used a cwdt setup since years ago when they removed the cwdt ic setup that every build used.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I’m trying to force myself into this league mechanic. What are the good bases I can try crucibleing?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Don't forget (steel kite?)shields and (prophecy?) wands for chance orb masochists. The question marks are that I'm not sure if you need to do those specifically, or just get the desired crucible mods on a base that can then be merged onto steel kite shield or prophecy wand. This mechanic blows so much that I can't even be bothered to find out, just what Neversink's filter points out at "strict", but removes at "very strict". Consider just getting achievements over with so I can set it back to "very strict"...strict is far too noisy.

Xevy

Log Wizard
So I’m trying to force myself into this league mechanic. What are the good bases I can try crucibleing?
Do Thicket/Spine bows for either the 600% explode totem mod on thickets or big physical/elemental mods on the spine bow. Steel Kite Shields that hit +40 max ES on the initial notable are worth 100c or more.

I just blast thickets nonstop and sell 600% explode mod ones for ~90c, any interesting ones I list for like 20-30c and they sell about 1/4 the time. I had to redo my filter to make sure thickets at all rarity were showing, but I easily find 3-4 a map so I just make sure to always have two on me just in case. One for blasting and one for the next map. I've gotten the 40c node quite a few times but it's on the 4th node so I'm at the point where I'm not sure it's worth doing like 8 crucibles just to get it. The Divine one is on node 3 or something which is weird, but definitely worth juicing.

TL;DR

Thicket with 600% explode mod: 90c+
Spine Bow big dps: ???
Steel Kite Shield +40 max ES: 100c+

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I still mostly spam claws and still can't get a nice tree onto my claw, or even a nice one to attempt. Every now and then I get a mediocre one but usually it's just garbage. Took me like 15 sceptres to finally get one that had fire dot multi on it to put onto the sceptre i'm working on. Funnily enough it finally popped on like an i77 base or something, all the i84-86 bases I used rolled 100% attack mods on them. I dunno if there are other good mods that i'd also want on it and I kind of don't want to find out and have to go back to doing sceptres.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Im sure high 2h axe base would sell well with some pdps and other axe goodies since boneshatter is like only melee meta right now. Poe ninja lists boneshatter pretty high still.

shit like this...
1682375643229.png

Last edited:

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Any of you playing this on a steam deck? feels weird as hell, but somewhat nice to just kick back and play couch side.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea it's pretty fun on the deck, but it kinda stops functioning if you're doing higher end content/juiced maps etc.

Fucking great for leveling new builds tho.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Any of you playing this on a steam deck? feels weird as hell, but somewhat nice to just kick back and play couch side.
The worst thing about playing with controller in this game is trading. I don't know why they won't let you switch without leaving the game. I love leveling and hard-core mapping with a controller (very strict+ filter). It's also great with those stop n go spammy builds (TR, BF/BB).

Also some might find it better for navigating boss mechanics and it's easy on the wrists.

Does steam deck allow touch screen support cause that might send me over the top to get a steam deck finally.